Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and has any fixes. I've been rebuilding the heater in my S2 Kamm tail spider. All the common problems were found (warped plastic valve, flooded motor that has been destroyed, perished rubbers etc.) i've replaced the valve with an aluminium one, replaced the motor, rubbers, and drilled a hole in the bottom of the heater to allow water to escape (i'm linking this to the rubber bung in the foot-well via some aquarium hose and connectors).

When I resprayed the heater matrix, I noticed it had some corrosion on it that would imply water coming in through the scuttle panel above. I've been leak testing the dash and heater today, and have put the hose pipe to the scuttle panel (admittedly quite an extreme event seeing as the car only comes out on nice days) and yes, some drops of water do get into the heater through the scuttle panel. Has anyone else had this problem, and know of any fixes? or do you just live with it?

Many thanks

Michael

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Hi Michael,

I wouldn’t live with it after all your hard work, is it possible to try and narrow down the leak any further? Can you remove the scuttle panel to inspect underneath? With the scuttle removed, you might see any issues, I think there’s a bead of sealant that runs under the windscreen that can age a become brittle or maybe a rubber has perished somewhere?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
perhaps split cowl drain tubes?...they come into the car behind the dash then exit out into the wheelarch, one left one right.

Those hoses do split with age...now whether water gets on top of the heater I am not sure, but it is possible I suppose... water tends to find its own way around!
Plus if those hoses are blocked, the water will find its way into the car.

or some corrosion under the cowl somewhere.

photo shows the rhs drain hole (later spider but same idea)
cowl.jpg

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
could water be leaking from the windscreen washer pipes? you have 3 way diverter that can break become brittle and water will fall into the area that you spoke about?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all,

thanks for the advice. I’ve checked the cowl drain tubes, while they’re a bit old, the water is draining away into the wheel arches.

Looks like the best plane is to have the scuttle panel off and see what is underneath....

Best regards

Michael

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all,

So I had the scuttle panel off last night, and took some pictures. You can see the hole above the heater matrix in pictures 2,3, and 4. I assume the water is getting in under the cover panel, and then down onto the heater there.

I guess the question is, was there a piece of rubber that went around the hole to limit this, or was this just another piece of classic Alfa design (I mean that in an affectionate way). I'm planning to put some rubber around the hole to limit the ability of water to get down there (making sure it avoids the wiper mechanism). On a side note, it was worth having the scuttle panel off, as all the washer pipes are perished and on their last legs.

Cheers

Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I don't think water will get that far up, if the two drains, l&r are not blocked....the scuttle would need to be swimming in water, and yours looks clean, as if it is draining well.
But I am not even sure what that big square hole is...is it the fresh cabin air inlet perhaps?
Would be a perfect place to use my wifi depstech endoscope and explore:)

Anyway, it's a good time to clean up all the clips at the base of the windscreen and to lubricate the wiper linkages etc

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

So I had the scuttle panel off last night, and took some pictures. You can see the hole above the heater matrix in pictures 2,3, and 4. I assume the water is getting in under the cover panel, and then down onto the heater there.

I guess the question is, was there a piece of rubber that went around the hole to limit this, or was this just another piece of classic Alfa design (I mean that in an affectionate way). I'm planning to put some rubber around the hole to limit the ability of water to get down there (making sure it avoids the wiper mechanism). On a side note, it was worth having the scuttle panel off, as all the washer pipes are perished and on their last legs.

Cheers

Michael
Hi, Michael, the heater should have a foam seal on the mating face of the aperture shown in picture four. Classic Alfa sells an overpriced rubber replacement but as it is basically a rectangle, you can make your own by using 10mm thick square section self-adhesive draft excluder made from modern closed-cell foam. This will seal and not soak up any moisture. Once compressed it will not move even if the adhesive let's go due to the hot water running through the heater. Once the heater is bolted in place the seal is under compression. Has worked well on my 77 RHD spider.
Now the scuttle covers off have a really good lock for corrosion and holes at the base of the windscreen and throughout scuttle inside and out (much easier with dash removed).
Hope this helps.
Tony

1 - 8 of 8 Posts