Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I drive a 155 1.8 8v from '96. Great car, but with a little problem.
The meters for oiltemp. and watertemp. on the dash
don't work as they should. They should be standing in the middle of their range, but mine only go for a quarter of the range. According to the meters the engine isn't getting warm, but it does get warm!!

What could that problem be, and how can i fix it??? Who can help me out??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Jeroen

This sounds the same as mine and others I know of. The water gauge will only go to 90 degrees when stood in traffic. The oil again will only rise when in traffic. I am told (by Alfa dealer) its because of where the sensors have been placed on the engine.

You may have a problem but I dont worry unless they go into the red, which has never happened. I can usually hear the fan come on so I know all is well.

If yours does not go up in traffic you might want to have them checked. Guage, sensor, thermostat?

Hope this helps a bit!!!

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hallo Jeroen,

Zoals Wrinxs al aangeeft is het een redelijk bekent probleem bij de 155.

Bij mij steigt de temp. ook bijna niet meer ( maar een tijd terug deed hij het nogwel goed )
De rede hier voor is dat de thermostaat open blijft staan, dus deze dient te worden vervangen.

Olie temp loopt bij mij ook bijna niet op ( mede doordat het koud is ) maar de sensor kan het misschien ook niet meer goed aangeven....dus een oplossing zou zijn door hem ook te vervangen.

Voor meer tips en info over de 155 kun je ook naar:
WWW.ARTC155.COM gaan ( de Nederlandse Alfa 155 club )

Groeten Martijn ( ARTC43 )

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the Dutch reply..!!

Jeroen is ( allso )from the Netherlands...thougt it was easyer to answer in Dutch.

Martijn ARTC43

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can confirm what wrinx just said. The water temp only rises to 90 when stuck in traffic. When on the move it sits just off the bottom. My oil meter is broke at the moment, but when it worked it used to just barely move.

Don't think you have a problem. Thats just the way they are !

Ger.

·
Registered
447 Posts
With my previous engine I had the same prob, 8v '93, but I've blown that one and since I replaced it with another 8v '93 with only 45.000km, I haven't had the prob again but I should tell you that with the engine came everything connected to it, as oil pump, water pump, injection and all others, I've also changed the dash unit with all the meters in it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I know now it's not a big problem. But it is still annoying that they don't work properly. I'm gonna have to learn to live with it.

Keep on rollin'

Jeroen

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello
The oil temp meter of my car never go up to 70Cº,but the water temp meter,it should be always at 90Cº, even when external temperature is about 0 Cº.
In my car the termostat was working bad,the water temp only go to 90Cº in traffic,normally was on 70Cº,and that was not normal.I changed the termostat and now it works good, always at 90Cº,(exactly between 86Cº and 89Cº) and in traffic(on summer) go to 92 or 93 Cº.The engine work worse and the lifetime of it will be shorter.
If on traffic your temp meter go to 90Cº and the fan start,I think that only the termostat is bad.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I said that the engine work worse and the lifetime will be shorter,if the engine go always at low temp as they should.The engine always have to work at the temperature as it was designed.and in this case is 87,5Cº.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jeroen,

Plenty of people have already commented on the water temp gauge readings. I'd just like to add, that I would expect the oil temp reading to stay quite low (perhaps 60+) on a cold day, if not being driven hard, and to go up to around 80 when fully warmed up (can take 10 mins to get oil up to temp), and being driven hard. If it goes much above this there is a problem. As long as the needles are moving up from the end stop once you begin driving, don't go up into the red, and don't show readings that you have reason to be sure are wildly inaccurate, I wouldn't worry.

Regards,
Honkytonk.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can someone confirm for sure whether it is normal for the water temp guage to only rise to 90 in traffic, or should it rise to 90 and stay there regardless of whether you are moving or not.

In my wifes car and my last car, the water temp would rise to a specific temp (usually middle), and would not budge, with the fan coming off and on to regulate it.

I presumed that my car had a problem when I got it, so I got an Alfa mechanic to check it out. The needle would only move to 90 in really bad traffic, and would spend most of its life at the bottom of its range. He suggested replacing the water pump (thermo stat ?), saying after that a valve was stuck open, hence causing this problem.
Since this the needle stays at about 70 'ish, only rising to 90 in traffic !

Anyone confirm the conflicting reports in these post ??

Ger

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oldish subject I know, but...

Having spent a couple of hours today changing my thermostat (would have been only one hour had I not dropped a spanner into the gap between the starter moter and the flywheel!....) my temp was varying between 70 and 95 ( indicated on the not very calibrated dash meter). Now it is pretty much pegged to 80 indicated.

Looking at the old thermostat, the plunger was definately stuck, I just hope the ecenomy improves.

Incidentally, I got the replacement from GGB engineering in Wood Green for £34 - turns out they import the original thermostat, just doesn't have the Alfa part no stamped on it (adding another £20!)

Simon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't believe how many of you guys are driving around with shagged thermostats.

Change them. It's cheap and easy and the engine will run much better for it.

Ralf S.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not so sure its a problem with the thermostat. My 1.8 gave the reading from nearly new and never changed through five years of ownership. As I said previously, the readings are correct and an Alfa Garage confirmed the sensors have been put in a place where they give odd readings. I did ask them to check mine and all was well.

However, its worth checking the thermostat!! :)

wrinx

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much. When I got my V6 I was REALLY worried by the rise in temp on both gauges when sitting in traffic. Depending on the ambient temp outside e.g. Winter or Summer the gauges run up to 1/4 or 1/3 when running. Whilst stuck in slow moving traffic they rise past 1/2, then the fan cuts in at around 90 - 95. Ce chose arrive!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts