Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says really....a friend is mine is local Police and he tells me that theft of dpf's has shot up in the last few weeks. A local index (non Alfa) garage had six stolen in one night and an Alfa main dealer had two stolen from customers 159s that were in over night for service. Of course this was always going to happen with many owners (not just of Alfas but all dpf equipped cars) suddenly realising that removing/coring it was not the best idea now as it will fail the MOT from May. Good news for us 2.0 JTDm owners is they are much more difficult to steal as you have to open the bonnet and therefore set the alarm off..but I will stilll be watching mine a little more closely. Anyway Im sure the good law abiding members on here have nothing to do with any of these thefts.... of course if you have no dpf you are clearly not law abiding but even so..lol! So keep an eye on those dpf's...garage your car if you can...or maybe weld them in place..anything to make it more difficult for the thieving scum!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
As the title says really....a friend is mine is local Police and he tells me that theft of dpf's has shot up in the last few weeks. A local index (non Alfa) garage had six stolen in one night and an Alfa main dealer had two stolen from customers 159s that were in over night for service. Of course this was always going to happen with many owners (not just of Alfas but all dpf equipped cars) suddenly realising that removing/coring it was not the best idea now as it will fail the MOT from May. Good news for us 2.0 JTDm owners is they are much more difficult to steal as you have to open the bonnet and therefore set the alarm off..but I will stilll be watching mine a little more closely. Anyway Im sure the good law abiding members on here have nothing to do with any of these thefts.... of course if you have no dpf you are clearly not law abiding but even so..lol! So keep an eye on those dpf's...garage your car if you can...or maybe weld them in place..anything to make it more difficult for the thieving scum!
I have mine in the garage....it’s already been removed. If it does get nicked off the car, they’ll be disappointed to find it’s a fake one in it’s place :hehe:

As a point of interest, isn’t it quite difficult to remove whilst on the road?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Wow... you couldn’t imagine this be happening one day ....

... shall I put a warning sticker on mine: “leave it, DPF already removed” or something like that. Like we used to have these fake alarm stickers in the eigthies and nineties if you couldn’t afford such a cool gadget (but often causing a lot of head-aches for false alarms or disabled ignitions for nothing). :weeping:

Thanks for the heads-up, but I truly hope I won’t have to guard my car day and night now. I’m just a poor fellow parking under a street lantern. :shoot:

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow... you couldn’t imagine this be happening one day ....

... shall I put a warning sticker on mine: “leave it, DPF already removed” or something like that. Like we used to have these fake alarm stickers in the eigthies and nineties if you couldn’t afford such a cool gadget (but often causing a lot of head-aches for false alarms or disabled ignitions for nothing). :weeping:

Thanks for the heads-up, but I truly hope I won’t have to guard my car day and night now. I’m just a poor fellow parking under a street lantern. :shoot:

I wouldn't do that....you are admitting to a crime with a max £2500 fine should a cop pass by!! LOL!

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have mine in the garage....it’s already been removed. If it does get nicked off the car, they’ll be disappointed to find it’s a fake one in it’s place :hehe:

As a point of interest, isn’t it quite difficult to remove whilst on the road?

Apparently they just reach underneath with a little cylinder powered gas cutter and hack the pipe either side of the DPF....takes less than two minute apparently. First thing you know is the very loud roar at start up.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Well that’s how you look at it, mine is still in situ and stock as it came from the factory actually.

But are you serious this amount as a fine? That’s no joke if true... and you know how hard it can be to argue and win from a policeman if he only goes by this fake sticker :nervous:

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
To be fair its a max £2500 for a van and "only" £1000 for a car....still lots though. Removing anything that was factory standard installed to reduce emissions could potentially get the same fine...even EGRs.....but be honest do you know anyone that's been caught and fined...Ive never even heard of it happening....but....

Here the info...straight from Her Majesty's Government;

"It is an offence under the Road vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulation 61a(3))1 to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet. Removal of a DPF will almost invariably contravene these requirements, making the vehicle illegal for road use. The potential penalties for failing to comply with Regulation 61a are fines of up to £1,000 for a car or £2,500 for a light goods vehicle."

I would think that a switched on lawyer could go after the firms that did the work (DPF removal) to recoup any fines...as it was them that did the deed. They would have to prove that they made reasonable efforts to ascertain that the car they were making illegal was not going to be used on the road....hmmmm....that might be a struggle since you drove it to and from their premises ! I'm not saying anyone should do that as we have many member and companies on this very forum that make their living this way. But you only have to look a PPI claims etc to realise its very easy to turn the problem on the supplier even if the buyer knew what they were buying....I knew Id bought PPI.....still got my money back though.

·
Registered
39,600 Posts
Not only have people decided to inflict the particulates on everyone but now they are stealing from them.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
To be fair its a max £2500 for a van and "only" £1000 for a car....still lots though. Removing anything that was factory standard installed to reduce emissions could potentially get the same fine...even EGRs.....but be honest do you know anyone that's been caught and fined...Ive never even heard of it happening....but....

Here the info...straight from Her Majesty's Government;

"It is an offence under the Road vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulation 61a(3))1 to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet. Removal of a DPF will almost invariably contravene these requirements, making the vehicle illegal for road use. The potential penalties for failing to comply with Regulation 61a are fines of up to £1,000 for a car or £2,500 for a light goods vehicle."

I would think that a switched on lawyer could go after the firms that did the work (DPF removal) to recoup any fines...as it was them that did the deed. They would have to prove that they made reasonable efforts to ascertain that the car they were making illegal was not going to be used on the road....hmmmm....that might be a struggle since you drove it to and from their premises ! I'm not saying anyone should do that as we have many member and companies on this very forum that make their living this way. But you only have to look a PPI claims etc to realise its very easy to turn the problem on the supplier even if the buyer knew what they were buying....I knew Id bought PPI.....still got my money back though.
On the non visible side of my fake dpf it does say words to the effect “not for road use” which could be a let out for the firms that do it?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Not only have people decided to inflict the particulates on everyone but now they are stealing from them.
Errr, don’t the particulates come out anyway during a regen?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Errr, don’t the particulates come out anyway during a regen?
To be honest I don't know for certain, but my understanding is that the increased temperatures deliberately created by the regen are designed to harmlessly burn away the particles otherwise why would legislation require the addition of £1000+ emission tech if the particles were still released into the atmosphere. That said I've also read that some particles created by Diesel engines are so small that they are not captured by DPFs and so still find their way into our lungs and circulatory system anyway

·
Registered
13 Posts
To be honest I don't know for certain, but my understanding is that the increased temperatures deliberately created by the regen are designed to harmlessly burn away the particles otherwise why would legislation require the addition of £1000+ emission tech if the particles were still released into the atmosphere. That said I've also read that some particles created by Diesel engines are so small that they are not captured by DPFs and so still find their way into our lungs and circulatory system anyway
Having had a few oil burners my understanding is that if you use them as intended.......high miles and plenty of longer journies then the dpf will do its job without too many problems. The illusory holy grail of good fuel economy over low mileages is the cause of dpf regeneration, failure and removal. Derv lovers will disagree and sure, low CO2 promises and inducements muddied the waters but I’ve switched to petrol now that I don’t do the miles. Assuming fitness....if it’s less than 2 miles, walk!!

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well now I feel bad ! A friend of mine just got back from two weeks in the far East....very happy man, as you would be. Happy, that is, until he started his 159 to get it out of his locked garage to be startled by the sound of a completely unsilenced 5 pot diesel. They had broken in through his garage side door and made a passable job of concealing the door damage...probably as the door can be seen from the road and they did not want it noticed. He is upping his security as he has a lot of tools...none of which are touched. Luckily (ish) they removed his dpf properly rather than cutting his pipework so its just a case of bolting a new (expensive) part in. We were looking for a cheaper new replacement on eBay and found a guy with three good used ones for sale...hmmm. He going for new to be on the safe side! Just hope this thread didn't give the thieving scum the idea. The only slight hope is that the thief cut himself under the car...blood was found...not holding our breath though. It's only going to get worse as the deadline for having a functioning dpf for the MOT approaches I fear. Keep em peeled!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
This is a kind of sick karma. Law abiding people are now suffering theft because of the people out there who have previously removed their DPF and have been driving around polluting the air.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts