Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
45,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had to go up the loft to look at the water tank (see other thread!) and seen a wasp nest.

It's only about an inch or two across (ignore other thread!).

What's the likely situation, and what should I do about it?

When I ask about situation I mean - are wasps active yet? Likely in the process of being built, or likely an abandoned one from last year? Does a new queen build one like that to hibernate, and will wake and complete it later?

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Set fire to it then hit it with a ballcock.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Get a showel & a thick bin bag. Put the bag underneath, scrape it off with the shovel, into the bag, then seal quickly.

It's so cold they'll be very dopey if they're active at all:)

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
wasp nest are single use, if it's last years then they have gone, if it's this years then get rid of PDQ

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
poke it with a stick :whistle:
I poked a Hornets' nest with a stick in darkest Sumatra many years ago... Woke up in hospital in the coastal town of Padang 24 hours later post stretcher ride plus emergency medivac flight in one of our helicopters :eek:

The resident British doctor (who was also the wife of our client's senior geologist (RTZ Indonesia) told me in no uncertain terms that I should a) Keep well away from hornet's nests, and b) Wear something more substantial than shorts & flip-flops whilst roaming around in tropical rain forests :tut:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
If it's not in the way of anything you could quite easily just leave it. That air filled honeycomb structure is excellent insulation. Otherwise just remove it. They are fascinating structures.

·
Administrator
45,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My dad suggested that the issue to be fixed is fixing the hole they found their way in through, not the nest. If I remove the nest, and they still have a way in, they'll just build another.

I'm not very confident about even going near it to be honest - not keen on wasps, got stung on the neck as a nipper.

·
Administrator
45,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My dad suggested that the issue to be fixed is fixing the hole they found their way in through, not the nest. If I remove the nest, and they still have a way in, they'll just build another.

I'm not very confident about even going near it to be honest - not keen on wasps, got stung on the neck as a nipper.

·
Registered
22,760 Posts

That's TWICE as scary now.

Wasps, sting you more than bees!!

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Use ant powder to liberally douse the outside of the nest. That will kill off the wasps. Leave the nest where it is, wasps won't build again with a dead nest in the vicinity. Advice given to me by the council pest controller when I had one in my loft. Don't leave it without doing anything as they can be aggressive when you visit the loft after the weather has improved.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Just to be different, I would do nothing - yet.

I'm assuming the nest is up against the roof tiles. Wait to see if wasps become active in spring, then spray the gap in the tiles where they get in, from outside.

If it's not accessible from outside, then ignore me and follow Squadrone Rosso's instructions now.

Either way, go dressed in waterproofs buttoned up over chin, with hood up, plus gloves and sunglasses - and post pictures here.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Just to be different, I would do nothing - yet.

I'm assuming the nest is up against the roof tiles. Wait to see if wasps become active in spring, then spray the gap in the tiles where they get in, from outside.

If it's not accessible from outside, then ignore me and follow Squadrone Rosso's instructions now.

Either way, go dressed in waterproofs buttoned up over chin, with hood up, plus gloves and sunglasses - and post pictures here.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Get a can of wasp killer spray & coat it in that. I go in loads of lofts at work & if they look 'bright & clean' instead of brown/old (like new or old newspaper i suppose) they are usually in use but the small 1's you seem to have apparently are where the queen will hibernate over winter :) it might be easier to knock it into a tupperware box then put the lid on quick. That way you can shake it and break it up inside and see if anything is in there or not. If there is just leave it out in the cold over night :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts