Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As per other thread just washed the car for first* time in over 6 months...

i use a karcher pressure washer to wet it, then snow foam thickly with autoglym polar blast, leave for 20 mins today, rinse with washer, then use a small fat boa with the detailers touch up shampoo, then rinse again then towl off with a bigger dry fat boa.

i do the alloys with same stuff albeit a wheel brush thing too (my mitt fell apart never replaced it).

it looks ok but nothing special which is annoying. water doesnt really bead anymore so assume the detailers work is worn off, and the front ends is still mucky with caked on insects. should the snow foam wont dislodge to make them wipe away (they dont wipe away).

is the snow foam im using crap?

have i jet washed off the finish

maybe im just not patient enough as i rush it

·
Registered
35,471 Posts
Sounds like your detailers work needs the top up of a regular wash. When was it done and what was used?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
The snow foam is fine, I use Polar Blast, are you getting the best out of the applicator though? A poor nozzle/Snowfoam lance will really hinder the performance and effect of the product.

For bugs, I use Auto Glym bug remover but any manufacturers product will do the job, apply on the bug splatter and wait for 39 seconds then wipe off with a tight microfibre cloth. Don’t over apply.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
october 17 i think from memory. cant remember what he did but was a good quality

other thread is tyre thread

·
Registered
644 Posts
Sounds like it either needs a top up of ceramic coat (assuming that's that it had), or perhaps a wax? That will get the beading going again.

Reactions: mello yello

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
If your really after a good, well maintained surface you need to wash the car weekly/fortnightly and work out a good routine that suits you and the car.
The more effort into maintaining the paint work the more you will get out i.e shine, gloss, beading etc.
Here’s a quick photo of my regularly go to wash products, takes me around an hour all in, including drying the car which is important if you don’t want wet spotting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for replies...im inherently lazy sadly (well when it come to this sort of thing and painting, and DIY...o dear there a pattern), yet don't trust anyone else to do it for me...i dont mind it being grimey, but was wondering where beading has gone if id jet washed it too powerfully maybe and why bugs not coming off.

i couldnt be doing it fortnightly im afraid. im envious of your dedication! i will give the bug specific stuff a try, and i think it probably does need a detailing top up, but wont bother with that probably if im gonna sell.

also noticed a fair few small chips now, anyone had a succesful comp red chip toucher upper?

·
Administrator
87,481 Posts
i use a karcher pressure washer to wet it, then snow foam
I always apply snow foam to a dry car, it appears Autoglym do the same ;)

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
As Karl mentioned above, you have no protection over the clear coat (wax, ceramic coating etc) hence lack of beading.
You can buy spray on sealants like Gyeon Wet Coat which I use, Carpro Reload and there are lots of others. These are quick to apply and last a couple of washes and are easy to top up after a routine wash. For a longer term solution a wax is a good alternative and pretty easy to apply. They can last anywhere from 3 - 12 months.
A ceramic coating is an even longer term solution (12 months - 3 years) but they need regular maintenance and can be costly to apply if you don’t do it yourself.
In short, try a spray on sealant, like Wet Coat and see how you find it.

·
Registered
35,471 Posts
Swissvax is a great bonding experience with your car as it’s applied by your hands. You first use the cleaner fluid then the wax melts in your palm and fingers and uses your hands for application. It’s expensive but lasts really well.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
need to dig detailer email chain out but fairly sure had ceramic coating. i will apply snow foam dry too now! will look at other suggestions too.

·
Registered
189 Posts
your ceramic coating has been degraded due to you not washing the car for 6 months

you still need to keep the car clean to maintain that glossy look

other than that you can polish it manually yourself

no amount of snow foam will get it back to how it was, you will need to go back to the detailer and hope he gives you a complimentary touch up coat otherwise you may be well advised to let him do his work and just pay for it

·
Registered
189 Posts
oh first lol
sorry i had a mental block, i think the snow foam references make me think it might have been frost ...
"just washed the car for the frost"
and i was questioning where the frost might have come from ... i was thinking were you in Russia or something

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not much to add but second that snowfoam only does so much, and that the AG bug remover will have them off quickly.

Wash your car as normal and then whizz over with the Gyeon Wetcoat as mentioned above. Brilliant stuff. Make sure you quickly youtube how to use it properly (Spray minimal amount onto wet car, jet wash off) otherwise it may streak.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I don’t agree with Mello re the ceramic coating and needing to wash it regularly. Indeed, the opposite is likely to be true - the ceramic coating will last longer if you don’t wash the car regularly.

If I remember correctly, you had a professional new car detail which included a single stage polish, a ceramic coating and a hydrophobic sealant coating when you first got your car.

The ceramic coating is likely to still be ok if well applied and a decent product. These products are typically 9H hardness and not washing the car won’t affect the lifespan.

The same can’t be said for the hydrophobic coating, which will need topping up after 2 - 3 years. However, the hydrophobic coating won’t bead or sheet unless it is first clean. I would suggest that your starting point is a very thorough maintenance wash using your snow foam then a good quality shampoo for ceramic coated cars, such as CarPro Reset, using light pressure with a good quality wash mitt, rinse, then dry.

If water still doesn’t bead or sheet, top up with one of the many suitable products, some of which are mentioned above by paultrim but if you stick to CarPro, Reload is very effective. After this, you should be in beading heaven. Have a look at metalgod’s recent pictures for inspiration!

All of the top brands make products that suit - Gyeon, CarPro, Gtechniq, Kamikaze, SiRamik etc, but if I were you, I’d give the original detailer a call, explain the problem and ask for advice.

Finally, I wouldn’t mix a traditional wax with a ceramic coating. Use a sealant instead.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Carpro advise you use Reload fortnightly on their CQuartz UK CC. I’d say a regular wash will remove contaminates that could over time bury themselves within the coating and give the indication of a poorer finish. Personally I’d always recommend (to anyone slightly interested in presentation) to wash their cars frequently to maintain the effects of coating, adding Reload, Wet Coat etc purely maintains the ceramic base coating for longer.
It’s a very subjective area detailing, as I’ve found out watching hours of Jim White Details, Forensic Detailing, PAN the Organiser etc etc. Do what works for you, within the time frame you want to allow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts