Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I found the other day that water wouldnt come out my rear washer anymore, not long after i found the tank of fluid id filled up had ran dry, putting 2 and 2 together I filled it back up and ran the rear washer again then looked under the car.

Right in the area where the washer is water started to pour from the tray onto the floor.

The front washers are fine, its just when I run the rear washer that I get the leak.

Any ideas what this might be?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi all

I found the other day that water wouldnt come out my rear washer anymore, not long after i found the tank of fluid id filled up had ran dry, putting 2 and 2 together I filled it back up and ran the rear washer again then looked under the car.

Right in the area where the washer is water started to pour from the tray onto the floor.

The front washers are fine, its just when I run the rear washer that I get the leak.

Any ideas what this might be?
I saw whilst checking the fuses under the bonnet, that there is a washer pipe running along the edge of the fusebox. (behind battery). This has a connection in it on the side heading to the washer fluid bottle.

I assume it is coming from washer bottle and leading to back window.

Maybe this has come apart due to ice etc. ?

Let me know if you can't find it and I can take a pic..

·
Registered
431 Posts
The rear washer hose is corrugated (at the rear anyway) and looks a bit like a small diameter wire harness. Try one of the two hose/harness sitting on top of the washer bottle.
BTW. I think you might have frozen the washer jet at the rear. I've heard that this can cause the hose to pop off.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may well have had a frozen rear jet to cause this MrMin as it was a very cold day when I last tried to use it!

Ill have a go at tracing this back now, there isnt must room in this area :(

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive had a good look and feel, the cable that ive found looks like the one that goes into the bottom of the washer tank, it's what it connects to, presumably the pipe that goes back to the rear washer that I can't find.

theres plenty of corrugated piping around the area and I think I can see the run it uses but i cant find anything that looks like it wants something plugged in.

I dont know how feasible it would be but if someone on their car could take a picture of the end ive identified and what it plugs into that may help, otherwise im stuck having to nip to my local garage I think.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny I was thinking of you when I got home so I took a photo. The tube runs along side the fuse/relay box and on my car the connection is right next the fill point floating in space. Funny thing I don't remember my 2011G having such a badly routed hose. I hope this helps :)
Thanks, ill check tomorrow when the suns back out, i wonder if the cables fallen down somewhere but that gives me a specific area to check at least!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fixed! it was tucked away next to the fuse box as you say, but didnt come out past the box so I missed it previously.

It seemed the grey end of the flexi tube coming from the reservoir still had attached to it a soft piece of rubber that should sit inside the hard corragated cable, after i prized this off the grey end and squeezed it into the corragated cable i was able to push in the grey piece and reform the connection.

Looking at it, it seems like it wouldnt take much in the way of ice/blockage for the back pressure to blow the connection again but at least i know what to look for next time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Funny I was thinking of you when I got home so I took a photo. The tube runs along side the fuse/relay box and on my car the connection is right next the fill point floating in space. Funny thing I don't remember my 2011G having such a badly routed hose. I hope this helps :)
I just had the same issue after Storm Emma battered the UK and your photo saved me a lot of head-scratching and crawling under my car lol so thanks mate! :thumbu p:

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
My front washers have stopped working since 'the thaw' set-in over the last 24/48 hours. Rear washer is working but nothing from the front. When i first got the G (a year ago this week) none of the washers would work and the washer bottle just poured out when i filled it where another pipe had come adrift. I'm also having a battle getting a dealership to acknowledge that the front washers squirting when I use the rear one isn't just 'characteristic' - that's stopped now, of course, because the front washers won't work at all now! :(

I know the MiTo gets a lot of flack on here but my God was it better built than this blo*dy Giulietta - there's something different wrong with it every month. Wish I'd never bought the thing :headache:

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
.................. I'm also having a battle getting a dealership to acknowledge that the front washers squirting when I use the rear one isn't just 'characteristic' - that's stopped now, of course, because the front washers won't work at all now! :(
Liam see posts 23 & 24 in this thread
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giulietta/367327-leaky-windscreen-washers.html
If a pdf of the invoice will help persuade your dealer then please pm me with an email address

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Liam see posts 23 & 24 in this thread
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giulietta/367327-leaky-windscreen-washers.html
If a pdf of the invoice will help persuade your dealer then please pm me with an email address
Thanks Tony. I intend to phone the dealer in a couple of days to make sure a replacement washer pump is on order for when the car goes in again on 20th March. If they say no then I'll send you a PM - don't wanna hassle you if they've already ordered one off the back of my continued visits!

It's two dealers that've said the same thing now - 'characteristic'. Frustratingly the dealer who sorted yours (where I bought my G from) are about 200 miles away and the dealer that sorted my Mums Fiat 500 with the same problem are only a Fiat dealer, not Alfa :(

I've been pretty patient so far but I'm gonna step things up a notch now as I get the impression there's a bit too much 'fobbing off' going on where the niggles are concerned with my car. They seem to refer back to Italy for guidance (and I assume, common themes) as soon as someone presents a Giulia with a fault but the same level of scrutiny seems not to apply for Alfa's lesser models. Trouble is, if this carries on I won't be spending even more money on one of their bigger, more expensive offerings, so nobody's a winner really!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
My front washers failed yesterday and the roads were filthy, I drove home in a fog of muck on the screen. Anyway when I checked under the bonnet I found a stray bit of pipe like the one shown in Maketea's piccy. unfortunately I cannot squeeze my hand down there to reconnect it. I am guessing that the bumper will need to come off.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Ha, just solved the problem, I managed to use a long, very long screwdriver to wedge the pipe from the reservoir against the tank and squeeze my hand down and put the wayward pipe back on, excellent, I was not looking forward to taking the front bumper off just to repair this.
Now off to A&E to get multiple lacerations on my hand sorted!
Love Alfa's

1 - 20 of 20 Posts