Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I thought I had decided on a Giulietta for my next car: something with some power and ‘quirky’ looks... but then came across this forum.... I appreciate that people are more likely to post when there are problems than just to praise, but there seems to be ALOT of problems posts in a very short space of time. Can someone please advise what I should look out for when viewing cars ? Looking at 2014 onwards/ 170 bhp models. Appx 50k miles. Thanks for any advice (even if it’s not to touch one with a barge pole!)

·
Registered
32,677 Posts
I’ve had two Giuliettas and as an early adopter had a couple of issues with my 2011 car from new. My second Giulietta new from 2017 had no problems at all in a couple of years. What are these problems you write about?
Your posting seems to be out of touch with the reality.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Hi Lmj, I think you will find all makes of vehicles have issues and all owners go through different ownership experiences. Sadly the majority of issues are things that the dealer network should be capable of dealing with, and the customer experience should be their priority. Much of the complaints of people on here are borne out of frustration at the dealer experience. I currently own two Alfas, a nine year old Giulietta 2.0JTDM and a two year old Giulia 2.2JTDM and previously to these I was converted to Diesel cars by an Alfa 147 JDM. My Giulietta is now at 88k miles and I do all my own servicing and maintenance, in 6 years it's needed a new EGR valve, bothe hatch wiring looms, alternator, couple of windscreens, regular oil and filters. It tends to cost me about £500 a year including the above and tyres as and when needed and I don't think that's to much to spend on vehicle upkeep, there no finance outstanding so about £40 a month on average.

Now the reason I love my Alfa's, the front wheel drivers, the 147 and the Giulietta give you incredible feed back from the chassis and steering that I have never felt in any other car I could afford, and I've had a lot of front wheel drive cars over the last 30 years. When my son lived with us I could feel the balance of the car change when he shuffled his bum on the back seat. The purists on here will always tell you to go for a petrol engined car, they have lighter front ends and are available with greater horsepower but the diesel engines have enough torque to offer a similar experience on the road. If you push them hard enough you will get understeer, but very predictable and controllable that allows you to just push the throttle more and point where you want to go. The 147 allowed you to switch off the ESC, the Giulietta doesn't and despite very little change in my driving style the Giulietta tyres last about twice as long. Electronic Q2 and everything else probably does that but I still get a lot of noise in my left ear from the wife, when understeering round a roundabout. I drove a Honda Civic from a similar year as mine, and did not enjoy it, learned all about lift off oversteer that day!

The Giulia is my return to rear wheel drive, after 30 years, previous cars were a Datsun 120y and an Opel Manta GTE. The balance of the Giulia feels like a spaceship to what I remember, I know there is a lot of extra electronic wizardry going on , but the main feeling is that of being pushed rather than pulled and the steering feel is incredible. Absolutely razor sharp and if turns like you can change trajectory almost by thought, I'm thinking "FIrefox" to anyone that can remember that film?

My point is if you want a Eurobox that goes from A to B, get one of those other make cars but without spending a lot , of money, you will never get anything near an Alfa for sheering driving pleasure. Yes the infotainment get some stick and other makes get high praise for gadgets and gizmo's how many other cars get praise for the actual driving experience and feel?

·
Registered
32,677 Posts
A 2014 car is now 5 years old and any car of this age will be out of the main-dealer world anyway. The provocative tone of the original posting seems to be from a “challenge the Alfisti “ angle and is asking them to defend the car but you’ll never persuade the OP?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I’m really pleased with my Giulietta JTDm after almost three years. Had a petrol 156SW for nine years before and wasn’t keen on letting it go.

The G is on just under 60k miles and I’ve just put a battery and a set of front tyres on it. It had new rear brakes when I bought it as they were knackered, and will need fronts soon. Normal expenses of running any car.

I had to do the EGR cooler cover, but did it myself. The rear wiper plays up sometimes and that’s an ongoing fix-it project. Blue&Me has a day ago dropped my phone so that’ll need re-pairing I guess. A minor annoyance and certainly nothing that would stop me driving it or getting rid for something else.

It has always started on the button, does almost 50mpg unless I drive like a hooligan, is comfortable and reasonably quiet, looks great and is a nice place to sit. What’s not to like?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi there, I thought I had decided on a Giulietta for my next car: something with some power and ‘quirky’ looks... but then came across this forum.... I appreciate that people are more likely to post when there are problems than just to praise, but there seems to be ALOT of problems posts in a very short space of time. Can someone please advise what I should look out for when viewing cars ? Looking at 2014 onwards/ 170 bhp models. Appx 50k miles. Thanks for any advice (even if it’s not to touch one with a barge pole!)
I have 1.6jtdm2 Giulietta. 154235 miles.Problem with Blue&me which I just disconnected. Don't miss it one bit. Wiring loom in hatch, which had few broken wires. All fixed at home easily enough. Keep right oil in it and it won't let you down. Fabulous car. No matter how hard you drive it it'll still return 54mpg. Hope to get into a Giulia when they become affordable in Ireland.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all those genuinely helpful answers. It’s nice to hear from those that have had relatively ‘normal’ experiences. I’m not by any means expecting the Earth for the year/mileage I’m looking at, just didn’t want to go for one of those cars that is, (in hindsight when you go some deeper research), known for being high maintenance and prone to issues (like my car I have at the moment). I drive a 2007 Mini Clubman Cooper S JCW. It’s been far from a low/no problem experience but the fun I’ve had has been worth the considerable repair costs.... they drink oil like we do water so keeping an Alfa topped up won’t be a problem! I just didn’t want to walk into a potential money pit of a car. Thanks again for those helpful answers !

·
Registered
37,278 Posts
If you go on any car forum you will always see lots of problem posts. People don't post when their cars are going well.

The Giulietta does have a few well know weaknesses, but compared to many cars (German mostly) they are very reliable in general.

German cars have nice quality interiors but the mechanicals are often troublesome. The Giulietta is mechanically solid, but the interior isn't the best so "perceived quality" is lower than on German brands. Perceived quality tells you nothing about the reliability of a car. The most unreliable car I have owned was a Mk4 VW Golf.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I’d agree with what Symon says - the interior plastics could be better and creaks & squeaks are common, especially in colder weather. That does deflate the experience a little but it’s not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
32,677 Posts
Never had creaks or squeaks but ,before the 2016 version in higher trims , I’d agree you wouldn’t buy it for showroom perceived quality. The grains on the plastic is better where the dash and door trim insert’s in carbon effect are better though.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
All I know is my Alfa diesels have gone very well and have provided very rewarding drives. I have experience of 3 Alfa's and it has all been good. I am an engineer so I have probably more mechanical sympathy to any car I own, but I know how to give it a good spanking when everything is up to temperature etc.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Another G owner here on the whole the car has been fine. Got a 1.4 MA. Done the usual service items filters,fluids and belts along with belt kit and hatch wiring.
It did need w BCM due to hatch wiring and a drivers side engine mount as it was causing vibration.

essentially car is fine just get in and drive,I personally don’t drive it much but when I do it drives nice returns decent economy along with decent performance. The interior trim is not the best of quality and does buzz,rattle,vibrate etc. Noticeable different quality compared to my bmw inside but so much cheaper to run the BMW is a right money pit.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Former Giulietta Cloverleaf owner here.

Ran the car for 4 and a bit years from 9000 to 58000 miles.

No faults in the warranty period
Rocker gasket needed replacement at 42000 miles
It likes a good set of tyres every 10000 miles

Avg MPG was 29 not bad for a 1.8T

I would have another but maybe go TCT next time.

·
Registered
32,677 Posts
My Giulietta tyres lasted a long time. But the the bigger 1.75 engine weighs more than the MAs which I ran for a total of over 80000 miles altogether.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If I had to bring it into a shop instead of fixing it myself evertime something was wrong/broken/odd on a Alfa I would not even consider owning one*... ;-)

* based on owning 147, 156, MiTo and a G for the past 10+ years ;-)

·
Registered
32,677 Posts
I never had to fix anything on my Giuliettas. I could tell that the first one was going to need the same parts replaced as on any car after I traded it after 5.5 years. That’s why I got around a quarter of what I paid for it new, I suppose. I’d used two sets of tyres and the pads and discs were replaced. I had the tailgate wiring fixed under warranty and the dealer fixed the gearposition sensor wire quite cheaply. I think after 2014 the tailgate wiring was revised anyway.It probably was going to need a new battery eventually in year 6, but I was confident enough to trade it for another new one.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Find me a forum that isn't full of question regarding problems, the thing i've found on here is that people are often willing to help solve them.
The Giulietta is a very dependable car, it does have it's flaws however largely these are reserved to minor issues like dodgy aerial bases, rear wiring looms and creaks from interior trims (in the early models).
Mine is unfortunately coming to age where i am spending a fair bit, in the past 12 months its had new discs and pads, suspension bushes, cambelt and water pump and a few more, however all items i would expect to be replacing / monitoring on a 9 year old car.
Personally i wouldn't be looking newer than a 16/17 plate as the Giulietta has been left behind its competitors in more recent years, the chassis hasn't developed and tech is mediocre at best. 14/15/16 plates would be the pick as they are of a better build quality than the earlier models and are at a price which make them a no brainer compared to its competitors with similar performance........and it is much better looking too!
Look for one with a comprehensive history and you shouldn't go too far wrong.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts