Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
In April last year I bought a vehicle (not an alfa) from a reputable dealer in Jhb. It was sold to me as a 2013 model with 3800 km on the clock. It was the dealers demo model. As I am based in PE the vehicle was delivered to me by car carriers and I have enjoyed the car ever since.
As it had reached 20 000kms the vehicle was serviced the the local dealership today. I asked the service advisor to double check on the extended maintenance plan that I purchased with the vehicle and he gave me a copy of the multi vin summary report.

On the report I discovered the following:
That the vehicle is described as a 2012 model with an in service date of 23 November 2012.
My extended 5 year maintenance plan thus expires on 23 November 2017.

The car was sold to me on 29 April 2013 - odometer reading 3800km however there is also an entry on 28 March 2013 where the car had a radio-check and software upgrade under warranty with an odometer reading of 9943 km.

The invoice I have from the dealers describes it as a date of first reg.:-2013 with 3400 km.

Is this normal practice- selling a late 2012 car as 2013?
Was the mileage tampered with, or could there possibly be another explanation?
Is there anything I could do now, seeing that a year has passed - I was only considering 2013 models and don't think I would have bought a 2012 model- will this will also affect future resale value as the car will be seen as a year older?

Thanks in advance
Regards

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The invoice states 2013 but the Motorplan started in nov 2012.
It was described to me as a 2013.
Then there also appears to be an irregularity with the mileage.

·
Registered
2003 Spider 3.0 V6 24v Lightning Blu
2,281 Posts
I've had a car that was new in December 2008 sold to me as a 2009 model. What some people do is buy a car at the end of one year and only register it in the new year making it appear newer than it is.

I would take it up with the dealer principle in question and see what sort of response you get.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
firstly, the warranty should start as soon as the car enters service. If it happened in 2012 then your car is a 2012. This also means that you can request that they have the warranty start in 2013, but this will not change the car to a 2013 model.

Secondly, someone definitely tampered with the odo. You have no idea what the car's true milage is, and if I were you I'd return the car as a matter of principle, as I do not do business with dishonest places. That is, places that are not truthful. Ask them to collect the car and return your money, or send you a 2013 (which may turn out to be another 2012 judging from their dishonesty) or to provide you with a sizeable discount. I have no idea of the make or model, but demand a huge discount. You have the law on your side.

The car may or may not have been in an accident, but who will verify that for you? The same people who lied about the car in the first place, and then turned back the odometer?

You have been duped. Time to get them back. Take your big hammer with.

·
Registered
419 Posts
motorplan is activated on first delivery or use, if it was used as a dealer demo it would be activated as soon as the dealer took ownership this allows it to be covered should anything happen to it. the odo reading of 9943 should be checked out.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
This wont be the first time i have heard of a branded dealership tampering with the odo but then again maybe the book was supposed to say 943km instead of 9943km, it is plausible because of the consecutive 9's

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I know on some software there is a way to determine if the odo was adjusted, for instance, on MultiEcuScan you can check the km reading reported from the ecu vs the reading on the odo, because they both log separate mileage

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys
ill speak to the bank tomorrow
see what they say......after all its still there car
perhaps its just an honest mistake with the mileage
that would mean the car did about 900kms from november to march, then 3000kms from march to april

is it ok/legal to put a car into service in 2012,start the warranty and then only register it in 2013 and sell it as a 2013 model?
sounds a bit dodgy to me
if i were to sell it on- would it be a 2012 or 2013 model?
if i thought i was buying a 2013 then i would be at a loss...not so?

·
Registered
915 Posts
What was the date of first registration? Im sure that will be the model that they rely on. So as stated, if it was in stock in 2012 but registered in 2013, then it is a 2013 model. They could have used it as dealer stock with garage plates till 2013, hence the motorplan being activated on an earlier date. The mileage is supect, but i suggest what Benzina says to get the scan done before anyone can tamper with it.

Legally you could sue them for the difference between what the price of the 2012 model and 2013 model of the car was selling at the time. This only came to your knowledge now so i suggest that you take it up with the dealership once you have your ammo in order. Sooner the better. If the mileage tallies they must rectify their paperwork so you can preserve your resale value as this couls put off a potential buyer.

Oh...and carry the biggest moering tool you have as suggested. :lol:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
damn man sorry to hear. Your mind must be thinking a thousand things.

On the explanation of the odo...being a demo vehicle it means it was driven by the DP or owner of the dealership. Remember when I and many others picked up their new car it had 300km on the clock, but here on the floor before you take ownership they do a reset and it read 0km...could they not have done this, but because it was used they reset it back to exceptable km for a demo car?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi
I received my QV last year which I bought new with delivery mileage. This was signified by an H in the odometer reading. You could drive a maximum of 200km and then reset the odometer.
The H would then disappear- certainly you can't drive almost 10000kms and then reset the odometer.
I can understand that they started using the car in 2012, activated the warranty and only registered in 2013- however they should have told me this when selling me the car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts