Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody got warranty cover on their gtv? I'm considering it but I am in mixed minds.

Any experience/advice would be appreciated. :)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
If you mean a warranty to cover mechanical defects.. it depends on how handy you are with spanners.. they are quite expensive and read the small print..

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I've found, most are just shy of £300 and cover pretty much nothing, or you can go for £500 that claims to cover everything but with pages of small print, some can cover defects before they fully fail though.

After getting a couple of quotes I don't think its worth it, but if anybody is happy to challenge that please do :)

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
I had a warranty once and it wasn't worth the paper it was written on. They do everything they can to wriggle out of claims, the get out on my claim was the fact I had done 92 miles over my 12k a year between servicing. I have heard the AA do a very good insurance warranty but I have never looked at it myself.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I've recently had a claim rejected - they basically suggested the fault was due to wear and tear and that it had happened drastically straight after I bought the car :rolleyes: absolute joke. Interestingly though, they DID cover the replacement of my radiator and thermostat which I was quite surprised by. Overall I wouldn't bother paying for one - put the money to one side towards future repairs IMO.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I used Warranty Direct for a few years because they cover wear and tear - up to a point ... Expensive £600-£700 pa, but paid for itself whilst I was doing a daily commute and all the original Alfa parts were wearing out in its first 5-6 years, as they do. I stopped when mileage passed 60k when they no longer cover 100% of cost, but by then all the usual parts had been replaced, and I was using it less. But they did cover wishbones (twice), powerflex rear, radiator, oil pipes, bearings, window regulators, etc etc. Always a bit of a fight to claim though ...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Always a bit of a fight to claim though ...
That's what I don't want really, if I've paid out for cover I shouldn't need to fight to prove I'm in the right, and shouldn't have to fork out for repairs then claim it back etc. etc.

Think I'll pass for now, thanks for all the advice :)

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Yep. To paraphrase my previous post, don't think it's worth it on an older, higher mileage car that has been sorted and had all the "usuals" replaced.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Best to spend the £300 on giving the car a good service. Warranty;s I wouldn't bother as like most things of that nature they are usually riggled out of.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts