Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...

I posted this on another thread but i thought i would start a new one incase some unlucky Alfa owners have been having alot of trouble with their cars!! Basicaly the other thread was talking about a warranty for the GTV... i replied by recommending the AA's breakdown repair cover,i got it a few years ago on an mgf together with Relay service.i think i paid around 110pounds for the year,and when the head gasket whent on the mg all i paid was 25pounds for the excess and the aa paid for the rest... You can only claim up to 500pounds per claim i think,but its definatly worth it....check it out,think its at:

Breakdown Repair Cover : replacement parts and labour - The AA

Just thought it might help some people thats all...not connected to the aa in anyway at all but i thought that with the ever growing recession and probable failures on the GTV,it might help!!

Cheeeers :thumbs:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That was good timing. I just posted on Way Off Topic asking if AA warranties were worth owt. Thanks for the info! :thumbs:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no worries mate! BUT i rememebr there being one thing....When you take out the warranty\breakdown repair cover,you cant make a claim in the 1st month and you only get a claim paid for if you are broken down!!

Very extreme example of this,my mgf's wipers failed,rang up the aa to make a claim and he said "sorry sir but its a sunny day so you can carry on your trip without being broken down"!!! BUT i pphoned them back up when it was raining,aa came out and took it to a garage,got it done for the excess again!

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can accept that.

I also read that if you are broken down the AA have to recover you - and give them a chance to fix it at the road side - otherwise they will claim you have driven it after the fault developed which is a no no. Is that right?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
sounds about right...guess that makes sence too,relates to the 1month period when you switch over the car or first take it out,stops you from making claims against a car thats already broken!!

My brother has this policy now thought and a few months ago his 306 cut out,it was laid up a week or so as he had only just taken out the policy,we then towed it down the road and called the aa!! there are ways around things!!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
really do not know sorry,i think its just uk based,my family live in the uk,iv never tried it in europe...There is Europena breakdown cover but i think thats just a normal cover,,ie not warranty style...

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there must be something,especially as you haev an english registered car,if you have an english address you can base it on then you might be lucky,but i doubt you will find and english company wiling to give you the cover abroad....base it in the uk and take out european breackdown cover...might work...

·
Banned
1,840 Posts
It's probably only going to be UK registered until the MOT runs out mid summer, then i will probably switch it onto Czech plates so possibly not an option anyway going through the UK - cheaper at around 100 quid than going for a UK MOT plus ferry plus breakdown tow charges LOL

Also, if it did breakdown and wasnt repairable they'd probably cart it to the UK which wouldnt be a fat lot of good to me here :rolleyes:

Think BEFORE you speak in future PD :lol:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm confused now between aa breakdown repair cover (that you have/had) and aa warranty.

The one I'm refering too is aa warranty (5 star) and is more expensive - its being included as part of the used car deal.

Why are there two products that seem so similar?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
aa warranty offers more compensation,i think its 1k or 1,5k? whereas aa breakdown cover is only 500 pounds per claim....your also only allowed 5claims on the repair cover,not sure on warranty

i think the big thing is whether you have to broken down or not,and im not sure about the warranty...definatly worth checking as if you have to be broken down for the warranty claim you may aswell get the repair cover... Also what repairs do you predict to claim for on one claim?? if its more than 500 then get the warranty but i cant see you claiming for more than 500 on one claim...i guess only cambelt snapping would be more...

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i think the big thing is whether you have to broken down or not,and im not sure about the warranty...definatly worth checking as if you have to be broken down for the warranty claim you may aswell get the repair cover... Also what repairs do you predict to claim for on one claim?? if its more than 500 then get the warranty but i cant see you claiming for more than 500 on one claim...i guess only cambelt snapping would be more...
The garage is throwing it in with the car so I might as well have it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts