Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
booked my car in for mot and failed on just one thing front disc,so booked back in and waited for the call that all was done ,received a call two hours later i got a call saying they could not get the two steel pins out without possible damage to the callipers .told them they needed to come out so do what you have to do,to cut a long story short they sent them off to an engineering firm they managed to get them out £42 charge. so dont assume it is an easy job to change pads and disc and give yourself plenty of time before your mot.my car was inthe garage for 2days lol just for this one thing .

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Ouch! My discs and pads were changed on a Sat morning by Monza Sport last year.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I had my rears done this week and they had the same problem with those, couldnt get the pins out.... perhaps its the low temperature thats causing the problem?

·
Registered
30,070 Posts
I had my rears done this week and they had the same problem with those, couldnt get the pins out.... perhaps its the low temperature thats causing the problem?
The rear calipers don't have the "pins" that they are talking about.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
They told me it was pins in a carrier that wouldnt come out? They nearly had to get a new carrier?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Seized front pins on 159 brembos is a very, very common problem. At the risk of the usual counter arguments I find that an application of coppaslip prevents it.

A good Alfa garage would be half expecting to find them siezed!

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
Ok

Sounds like typical poor assembly in Naples... :rolleyes:
I once saw a 156 2.5 V6 fitted with solid 284mm discs (as fitted to the early 1.8TS). It was just under two years old with original brakes fitted from the factory. Topic of conversation at the time but not so good for the owner:rolleyes:

Much more recently (only two years ago) I visited the dealership in Peterborough where a Mito 155 was being sold new again with the wrong front brakes (not the Brembos).

Some things don't change:lol:

·
Registered
30,070 Posts
I once saw a 156 2.5 V6 fitted with solid 284mm discs (as fitted to the early 1.8TS).
281mm for the solid fronts.

There was also a GT on here that had the smaller 251mm rear discs that were never fitted to the GT...
Probably means there is a normal 147 with the larger 276mm discs......

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ive done my pads myself twice and had this issue .... The problem is the pin is wedged in two places (near and offside caliper housing) ... its so much easier if you cut or grind the pin in the middle and free each half seperately, Makes sence that something pinned in two places will require twice the force to remove .... new pins cost all but a few quid from apec.

Grinding the pin in half is best cos the vibration and heat from the grinding will loosen it up too.

Mine took very little persuation after this, just a little tapping by get past the white ... erosion whatever it is !

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I was hitting my pins so hard (very good parallel punch) that they bent in the middle. Once they started to bend they soon freed up so +1 for cutting them in half. Just make sure you have your new pins ready.

I suspect once they are cut in half and you are able to lever them sideways a little they soon break the corrosion lock.

I posted about this before but this was a 159 with just 17k miles that had a full service history from one of the biggest independents that get recommended on this list. It was even bought from that independent.

So it can be missed by anyone. It's what is done once spotted that helps the pain.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Will I have this issue on my 1.9jtd TI (not Brembo calipers)? Also would mind pointing me at where to find sizes of both front and rear discs? Everywhere I look they appear different! I need to change the rear discs and pads and front pads. The rear discs look shot and even though the outer pads look fine they squeak a lot so I assume the inner pads are worn out. I've also been getting a lot of fade so wondering if I'll need to bleed too?

·
Vendor
45,756 Posts
If the (aluminium) calipers were painted then perhaps the (steel) pins wouldn't seize in there. This certainly isn't a problem on the red-painted Brembos of both sizes on the 147/156 GTA.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Will I have this issue on my 1.9jtd TI (not Brembo calipers)? Also would mind pointing me at where to find sizes of both front and rear discs? Everywhere I look they appear different! I need to change the rear discs and pads and front pads. The rear discs look shot and even though the outer pads look fine they squeak a lot so I assume the inner pads are worn out. I've also been getting a lot of fade so wondering if I'll need to bleed too?
You have 330mm front (as with all TI spec cars) and 278mm rear being a 1.9/2.2 ... The larger rear disk was only on the 2.4 and 3.2.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If the (aluminium) calipers were painted then perhaps the (steel) pins wouldn't seize in there. This certainly isn't a problem on the red-painted Brembos of both sizes on the 147/156 GTA.
I believe most of us are talking about red painted brembos :(

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Clearly the OP did not have his brakes done at an Alfa garage (Stealer or Indie)..or he would have been alerted to the issue by them. When I needed new front pads (46 months) I was warned that it could be an issue and supplied my own pattern pins ( bought for £18) rather than have the OE ones from Alfa at £45. Needless to say they fitted them with generous amounts of coppaslip, some of which I've cleaned up as it spoiled the look of the red Brembos!

Oh, and they warned me how they could bend or shatter and would have to be cut off too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You have 330mm front (as with all TI spec cars) and 278mm rear being a 1.9/2.2 ... The larger rear disk was only on the 2.4 and 3.2.
Thanks, so the discs are all the same size on the front even though I've not got brembos then? Does that mean I can buy any discs listed as TI spec that size it's just the pads that will be different?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
booked my car in for mot and failed on just one thing front disc,so booked back in and waited for the call that all was done ,received a call two hours later i got a call saying they could not get the two steel pins out without possible damage to the callipers .told them they needed to come out so do what you have to do,to cut a long story short they sent them off to an engineering firm they managed to get them out £42 charge. so dont assume it is an easy job to change pads and disc and give yourself plenty of time before your mot.my car was inthe garage for 2days lol just for this one thing .
having just gone through the mini-ordeal of changing discs and brakes, I can suggest you two things:

1) you gotta change mechanic: the pins can get stuck indeed, but it's nothing a two minutes jobbie with a blow torch can't fix. Having to spend 42 quid for a 2 mins job is not good at all.

2) I hope you changed both front discs and pads, not just one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts