Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38,289 Posts
I heard that soon V5 documents will no longer show the previous keeper on them so it will be even harder to spot whether a car was ex fleet or hire car.

Having said that I have had a couple of ex-fleet cars in the past and they have been really good. probably slightly up on miles but generally done on the motorway and well looked after.

It is the ex hire ones I would avoid. I got caught with a 1 year old Alfa 156 v6 from Fish Brothers in Swindon. The salesman told me a barefaced lie about the cars previous ownership, and I had lots of problems with it from where it had been thrashed.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Looks like FCA are covering themselves after that court case. The DVLA are removing previous keeper details from logbooks and it looks like dealerships will have to destroy service history that has former keepers details on it due to GDPR. Clocking will become a real big problem within a few years due to this. Bonkers

·
Registered
35,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was lent a Giulietta today while mine was in for service which had 7000 miles on it. It's on the dealer website as a used car, minus the bird droppings on the paint and the slightly grubby interior. It could have been misfuelled at some point by one of the many users as I has seen with a loaner Audi A6 a while back at a fuel station. Would you want this Giulietta? Probably registered with an incentive because nobody wanted a white base level Giulietta diesel 1.6..

·
Registered
38,289 Posts
Looks like FCA are covering themselves after that court case. The DVLA are removing previous keeper details from logbooks and it looks like dealerships will have to destroy service history that has former keepers details on it due to GDPR. Clocking will become a real big problem within a few years due to this. Bonkers
Some dealers have been detroyong service history for a long time.

One 156 I owned around 10 years ago came with no history as a certain Alfa dealer in Hemel Hempstead had witheld it to prevent people contacting the previous owner.

It was the previous owner (Who I wrote to after getting his name from the log book) who told me that it had a history when traded in, and where it was traded.

I called the Alfa dealer in question and they had the cheek to give me a rollocking for contacting the previous keeper to try and trace the service history!

This GDPR goes too far, and if people know that the history won't be passed on where is the incentive to get the car serviced in the first place if they only plan to keep it a couple of years?

·
Registered
35,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The service book has the history without the owners address though?
It's the invoices and registration documents that identify the "owner". Whether the stamps in the book are enough or genuine is more questionable without the invoices. The car could be a demo but driven by the salesman and a different service customer every day but be one-owner.

·
Registered
38,289 Posts
I would imagine that these days most service history could be backed up by giving the dealer on the stamp a call, as these things are usually computerised. They could do that without giving away a previous owners details.

But it is a hassle that shouldn't be needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts