Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone and Happy New Year !

Over the last couple of weeks I have had a warning light flickering on the dash, more so at higher speeds (50 - 70) than at low speeds.

The light itself is a little orange lightbulb with an exclamation mark in it and is directly above the green light that indicates the headlights are on in the speedo.

Car runs fine and the light flickers regardless of on / off throttle.

Could it be ABS or brake type sensor ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Whilst I am here thought I would give a little update on jobs so far complete on the car and things left to sort out :

Things I have done so far :
Changed Head Unit - mainly to sort the switched live issue
New rear window regulator - now all my windows work, Hooray !
Changed Thermostat - car now runs at the right temperature which is nice
Fixed squealy heater fan - removing, wiggling and putting back seems to have sorted it at least temporarily
Lubed door opener buttons - nice and smooth now and no sticking

Things left to do :
Pull AFM wire off and see if she goes any better, will replace the AFM is it has more umph unplugged.
Eibach Spring kit once I finally get round to buying it.

·
0 Posts
connection to the number plate light bulb, mate mine does this sometimes :thumbs:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow that was fast !! :cool:

Thanks guys - will mainly be checking bulbs this evening :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I would recommend you do a search about this on here as there are lots of threads on it. Bulb out indicator doesn't monitor all the bulbs (not sure which it doesn't) and when it shows it can indicate a quite different fault to a blown bulb - like a sidelight being lit when it shouldn't be.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I would recommend you do a search about this on here as there are lots of threads on it. Bulb out indicator doesn't monitor all the bulbs (not sure which it doesn't) and when it shows it can indicate a quite different fault to a blown bulb - like a sidelight being lit when it shouldn't be.
It doesn't monitor the headlights (dipped beam), but does monitor sidelights. Not sure about the main beam or front fogs... I suspect not though.

·
Registered
916 Posts
It's the bulb warning light.
Either you have a bad connection on front sidelights, rear sidelights or number plate lights
OR you need a rev counter.
Does the light flicker even with the lights turned OFF?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Light only flickers when the lights are actually switched on, I haven't seen it go at all when they are switched off.

Will do a little walkaround check to make sure none of the lights are on when they shouldn't be and vice versa.

Sounds like a dodgy bulb / light connection, the difficult thing is seeing which one whilst driving the thing :D

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If it only flickers when the lights are on then the dodgy bulb or connection will be either a front side light or number plate light as these are tested only when the lights are on.

It might be easier to replace all of these bulbs because spotting which of these is giving issues could be difficault

Sorry I forgot to add rear lights - it does not test main headlights, fog lights, dipped head lights, third (or upper) brake light, reversing lights

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have had a decent look round the car and all lights seem to be OK when stationary, so sounds like either dodgy bulb or connections on either the side lights or number plate lights when bouncing around a bit on the go.

The car is going in for a service in a few days so I am going to get all these bulbs replaced whilst they are at it.
If that doesn't cure it I will probably try swearing profusely at it until it goes away :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts