Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night the warning light signifying that a bulb has blown came on. Only trouble is I can't find a blown bulb anywhere. Any ideas?

L

·
0 Posts
number plate bulb?
front side lights?
rear tail light?
rear fog lights?
brake lights?

faulty Rev Counter?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Does the warning light go on when you turn the headlights on ?

if so it is either a side light or rear number plate light.
if not then rear lights or brake light.

If still not one of these then check if one of the lights is on perminently (but very dim) then it will be down to the bulb out circuit on the rev counter having blown.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Does the warning light go on when you turn the headlights on ?

if so it is either a side light or rear number plate light.
if not then rear lights or brake light.

If still not one of these then check if one of the lights is on perminently (but very dim) then it will be down to the bulb out circuit on the rev counter having blown.
One of your bulbs gone pop then.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. The light goes out when I tun the lights off, but one of the number plate lights seems to be slightly dimmer than the other.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Try tapping the dim light. Had an issue a while back. Sorted itself when I ran over a pothole..

Once fixed a Polo indicator by turning a philips screwdriver half a turn, when trying to get to the bulb. That was interesting. :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a similar issue..

About a month ago I had to repalce the rev counter due to the faulty bulb light being constantly illuminated and the rear brake light and front headlight being constantly illuminated, everything ran well for a month after the replacement.

At the start of this week the faulty bulb light began to illuminate everytime I pressed the brake pedal (independantly of whether the lights were on or off), fearing the worst i've checked for dimly lit bulbs when the ignition is switched off and found nothing, nor do any of the bulbs appear to be hotter than normal after a journey. I've also checked all the brake lights and number plate lights and found those to be working fine..is there anything else that could cause this problem or am I witnessing the beginnings of another goosed rev counter?

Thanks

Jon

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I've got a similar issue..

About a month ago I had to repalce the rev counter due to the faulty bulb light being constantly illuminated and the rear brake light and front headlight being constantly illuminated, everything ran well for a month after the replacement.

At the start of this week the faulty bulb light began to illuminate everytime I pressed the brake pedal (independantly of whether the lights were on or off), fearing the worst i've checked for dimly lit bulbs when the ignition is switched off and found nothing, nor do any of the bulbs appear to be hotter than normal after a journey. I've also checked all the brake lights and number plate lights and found those to be working fine..is there anything else that could cause this problem or am I witnessing the beginnings of another goosed rev counter?

Thanks

Jon
Jon. The brake and tail light are the same bulb. You might find the filament has broken but then fused itself to the other filament in the bulb. When you brake it's reading a funny voltage as it's earthing through the sidelights perhaps. long shot but worth a look. Had it on my 155. When I braked the sidelights cam on! :lol:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 04 156. The bulb warning light went on and off with the brake lights and indicator. After some faffing about I realised that the problem was somewhere at the back near side. Took the connector off the rear light and bingo there were signs that the earth wire(black) was not making a proper connection. Took it apart and cleaned and give it a squeeze with a pair of pliers and job done. Moral of the story, check, check and recheck connections.

·
Registered
10 Posts
May have some idea. Had the same problem twice. Once it was ( i call it a parking light) for the size of it in my head lamps. In your manual it will explain you on how to remove it and the other time it was a plug under the rear bumper that did not make proper contact. Hope it is helpfull.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have exactly the same symptom as Arty. the warning light only comes on when I switch the lights on. Actually it comes on with the sidelights only on walking round the car all of the bulbs are working AOK. I guess I will have to go out with the multimeter and check the voltage drop at each bulb.

The trouble is the weather is horrible and whenever I am not at work it is dark. Got to love the winter

D

·
0 Posts
I have exactly the same symptom as Arty. the warning light only comes on when I switch the lights on. Actually it comes on with the sidelights only on walking round the car all of the bulbs are working AOK. I guess I will have to go out with the multimeter and check the voltage drop at each bulb.

The trouble is the weather is horrible and whenever I am not at work it is dark. Got to love the winter
Check that the rear o/s tail light isnt dimly lit or that the rear tail lights havent been linked from n/s to o/s. Either way it will almost certainly need a new rev counter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts