Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
No matter which kit you buy, the tesnioners are exactly the same and from the same factory.

I have used Genuine kits, Dayco kits, contitech kits and gates kits, in all cases the tensioners were identical. The metal moving tensioner being stamped "Made in Canada".

To be honest, the standard Alfa belts are not know for long life, so I have no problem with other brands as long as they are a decent make.
Symon,

It was this Dayco kit I 'd seen on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110568792997&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Does that seem quite reasonable price wise?

·
Registered
37,142 Posts
I am not too sure of JTD belt prices, but I would guess it isn't too bad.

Have a look on buypartsby or Euro car parts, as they are often a bit cheaper

Dayco do make the original equipment belts, so the quality will be fine.

M

·
0 Posts
its not rocket science to know that the cambelt/tensioner set up in a TS engine is crap and Alfa customer response over the years regarding this subject has been shocking...Alfa has had a reputation over the years off producing, in the main, beautiful drivers cars but with very shoddy workmanship...a bit like BL !!

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
My jtd has a Goodyear belt on it. The ts's are running dayco' ATM

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
its not rocket science to know that the cambelt/tensioner set up in a TS engine is crap and Alfa customer response over the years regarding this subject has been shocking...Alfa has had a reputation over the years off producing, in the main, beautiful drivers cars but with very shoddy workmanship...a bit like BL !!
Perhaps in the aulden days Mikey.

Serpently not nowadays.

High tech motors.

Ford Orion timing belt change in 1984 was 30k....so 36k is 6k more

How can you possible even contemplate a svelt Alfie tae an Austin Allegro Maxi or Princess.

Pomeo

·
Registered
396 Posts
I don't think it's just ignorance on the part of owners that is at fault though. When I booked my car in for the 3 year service with 35k miles on it at an Alfa dealer I had to ask them to do the cam belt as part of the service. They should have been telling me straight away that it was due. I don't know whether they would have done it if I didnt ask them but it didn't seem like they would. Also after I mentioned changing the timing belt they didn't advise me about the variator or water pump getting done at the same time I had to ask for them to be done as well.
I agree w/ the belt, but changing the pump and variator @ 3yrs w/ every belt change is overkill... The modern variators ought last at least 60k before getting noisey...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts