they aren't capable of correctly resurfacing
the runway of a medium sized aeroport like
Bristol?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
Unbelievable :(

Something to do with the quantity of grooves the contractor has cut.....

Sounds like the contract was badly specified... and the Airport is having to negotiate with the contractor to get the job done properly :rolleyes:

Somebody tried to save some money... and failed :confused:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, let's put it out to contract and award
it to the cheapest. Doh!

Who on the planet doesn't think that'll end
up with an inferior result !?!?!? :rant:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Nev said:
Yes, let's put it out to contract and award
it to the cheapest. Doh!

Who on the planet doesn't think that'll end
up with an inferior result !?!?!? :rant:
I'm afraid that's how the majority of building contracts go now days.
When I was training at college we were told when you had all tenders/prices returned, throw away the highest and lowest.
The highest doesn't want it, the lowest may have made a mistake or deliberately sent in a low price to win and then hope to get the money back via variations to the contract.
The middle prices are the companies you talk to and after negotiations award the contract.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Remember - this is Bristol we're talking about :rolleyes:

We seem to be the capital of ****-ups at the moment :rolleyes: What with the runway at the airport, arguments over the naming of a shopping centre and now calls for illegal immigrants from Jamaica to be given pardons because their ancestors may have been slaves, we seem to be very good at getting into the news for all the wrong reasons :eek:

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Bristol airport....

Used to be the RAF bad weather flight training school located there specifically as it had he worst weather of any mainland airfield in the UK

So messing up the runway isn't the cleverest thing to do .....

Simes.

·
Administrator
Tesla Model S
8,046 Posts
And I didnt even know there was an airport there hahaha therefore the cheap runway job has served a purpose, it has probably given them some PR at the very least

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
alfaowner said:
And I didnt even know there was an airport there hahaha therefore the cheap runway job has served a purpose, it has probably given them some PR at the very least

I don't know, you Londoners don't know about anything outside of the M25 :rolleyes:

:lol:

·
Administrator
Tesla Model S
8,046 Posts
Well, actually, all the other airports, Heathrow, Gatwick & Stanstead are outside the M25 and I know those... therefore I blame the Bristol advertising department for their ****e PR and the tarmac people for the ****e runway. So there ;) hehehe

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
alfaowner said:
I blame the Bristol advertising department for their ****e PR and the tarmac people for the ****e runway. So there ;) hehehe
:lol: Probably very true :lol:

·
Administrator
46,117 Posts
Is Bristol airport the one with a road going past the end of the runway which has traffic lights on it? They have to stop traffic to let planes take off because it's too close to the runway.
Now THERE'S a red light you don't want to run...

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think its a bloody joke,what is it in this country with.....its too wet....too foggy.....too many leaves....its a bit icey....lol everywhere else copes fine for instance my family and i were flying out of heathrow on the 22nd December when all the fog was about,lucky for us there was a break in the fog so we could take off but lots of peeps were not so lucky..however on our way back home we flew from munich airport and the fog was there and it was freezing fog too but there were no flights cancelled at all!!!!!I think we are all drama queens in England lol

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bazza said:
Is Bristol airport the one with a road going past the end of the runway which has traffic lights on it?

From the sounds of it that road IS the runway at Bristol.

:cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
bazza said:
Is Bristol airport the one with a road going past the end of the runway which has traffic lights on it? They have to stop traffic to let planes take off because it's too close to the runway.
Now THERE'S a red light you don't want to run...
:D :D Not quite, they were there from the days of the Brabazon and early Concorde IIRC. I've never seen the road closed, even with Concorde, Eurofighters, Tornados etc. taking off and landing.

What's really sad is that they bulldozed a whole village to make the runway long enough for the Brabazon, and it was a flop. It took me quite a few years of driving around Bristol to realise why some roads just seemed to stop rather than take you to the North of Bristol, if you look at catbrain (I kid you not! :rolleyes: ) on multimap at 1:25,000 you can see where the village used to be :eek:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I think you'll find you're confusing Bristol Airport (Lulsgate) with Filton Mave.:D Few years back, Filton nearly got adopted as Bristol's primary airport but the spoilsports in Sadly Broke (Bradley Stoke) objected to aircraft noise (what do you expect if you move into a house with paper thin walls next to an existing airfield?:rolleyes: ) so it never happened.

Certainly in the early days of Concorde, and flight tests of the Olympus 593 engine slung under the old Vulcan the traffic lights at Filton were in use. Goes back to the days when the said Vulcan flattened the garage that used to be at the end of the runway with jet blast, whilst doing a go-around!!

You're perfectly right about Catbrain tho. Demolished the whole village to extend the runway, then the Brabazon took off in less distance than the old runway :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
46,117 Posts
You pair might want to go and update Wiki. It claims the demolished hamlet was called Charlton.
Thanks for the info though, I'd never heard of the Brabazon before now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I once saw the Brabazon fly when I was a lad! It seemed to go very very slowly!
I also was involved with the TSR2 when I was an engineer. The flight tests of a single engine slung under a vulcan couldn't be opened up as it was too powerful, (much more than the four normal engines). The TSR2 was a two seater with two concorde engines plus reheat. Now that accelerated well, much better than a spider!!!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TSR2 another sad case of the yanks f***ing up
something beautiful. :(:(:(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts