Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Very true. Reason for it is very simple. When you start from cold, the mixture will be richer to allow car to idle properly, and if you leave the car idling like this for some time, the rich mixture causes more wear due to the oil being washed from the moving parts compared to light throttle driving. The other problem with warming up the engine before giving it stick is that you end up with a warm engine but cold oil amongts the gears. Not good at all.

Best still for an Alfa engine is to start up, drive off normally and just keep the fot light and the revs low until the oil temp is above 80.
Exactly my point :thumbs:

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
I wait until the auto choke has gone off. Takes longer when its cold out, but not as long when the weathers warm, like now...
Annoys the missus a bit. She just gets in her Suzuki and buggers off...:lol:

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
with my OCD I also make sure the a/c is off when starting or when stuck in traffic, always wind all the windows down atleast once a day, try to avoid sitting on the seat bolster when getting in and out
Yeah I do both of the last two as well. :lol:

What's the deal with the a/c bit?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
+1 here too.

Oil temp is the thing to go by plus as has been said, letting the transmission warm up - detected by "feel".
I've never really thought about letting it warm up tbh but my driving style and warm up routine is quite kind to it anyway.

I bet the guys who do Santa pod don't think about this though. Whenever I've been they just let it idle until warm

·
Registered
187 Posts
+1 here too.

Oil temp is the thing to go by plus as has been said, letting the transmission warm up - detected by "feel".
I fully agree. I don't have an oil temp gauge but you can feel when a car's warmed up. When cold the gearchanges are sticky. Once the gearbox is smooth and everything's loosened up the drivetrain should be warm enough to open the taps a bit.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah I do both of the last two as well. :lol:

What's the deal with the a/c bit?
Mostly because at idle the a/c puts more load on the engine and you may as well have your windows open if you're not moving, mainly for consumption I guess. I'm sure it makes little difference in reality...:)

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
My wife drove my car for the first time on the weekend. I knew it was going to be a bit hard for her as she's only driven one car since she passed her test ten years ago, so I didn't like to stress her about the revs thing. However she struggled with the six speed gearbox and was going into third instead of fifth, so we hit the limiter in third about two minutes after starting the engine. I could have wept.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Ouch - i feel for ya badgers.

We live 2 mins from a dual carridge way and the gf cocked-up the junction the other day. She had to nail it to get up to speed quick - saying 'its cold, i know - sorry, sorry, sorry' all the way !

I am single now...:tut:

BTW - the TVR has no oil temp guage. Just water temp and oil pressure.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Ouch - i feel for ya badgers.

We live 2 mins from a dual carridge way and the gf cocked-up the junction the other day. She had to nail it to get up to speed quick - saying 'its cold, i know - sorry, sorry, sorry' all the way !
Yeah, that's basically our problem, you join a slip road onto the bypass round our village if you want to go anywhere. Thankfully with the GTA, you're doing 80 in sixth at 3k rpm anyway.

BTW - the TVR has no oil temp guage. Just water temp and oil pressure.
My 164s didn't either, I used to wait until the oil pressure gauge was down to what it should be before ragging it.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
She was going for it then, thats about 80mph.
Yeah, she was in accelerating in fourth trying to get into fifth, then I think she panicked and ended up putting her foot down! Hard for me to know what the speeds were as I couldn't see any of the gauges!

·
Vendor
46,340 Posts
Yeah, she was in accelerating in fourth trying to get into fifth, then I think she panicked and ended up putting her foot down! Hard for me to know what the speeds were as I couldn't see any of the gauges!
Ouch.. It'll fine though, V6 is one hard lump, don't worry about it. :)

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Yeah,I she was in accelerating in fourth trying to get into fifth, then I think she panicked and ended up putting her foot down! Hard for me to know what the speeds were as I couldn't see any of the gauges!
I let my missus have a go in mine and she was scared to use more than 4k rpm. Fine by me lol.

I

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
my miss had a race in mine once and the guy did not like beeing beet by a woman lol and a young one a that, thinking about it maybe i should stop her driving it as the other week she also tells me a guy came into the other lane thinking he would burn her off at the lights little did he know she was having non of it, thinking he would push his way in front. so dont think he was to happy when she left him behind and then he followed her into the sainsburys car park so she drove round then out again,, maybe some guys dont like it when they see a woman in a better car than them? or guys just dont like beeing beet by a woman

·
Registered
74 Posts
No good to warm up your car???

It may not be good to let it run on idle, but when driving you should always warm it up. Watertemp is misleading. This is up to normal temp within 10min. Whereas the oil temp is only at 1 bar in this time. I always bring it up to max. 4000RPM untill it has the full 3 bars. I rarely have to give it oil. (touches wood 3 times...)

Below is a video about how Ferrari properly warm up the Ferrari FXX for there customers:

YouTube - warming up Ferrari FXX

21 - 40 of 45 Posts