Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what point do you consider your GTA engine to have warmed up, and what do you avoid doing until it is warm? Do you go by the water temp, the oil temp, or maybe even the climate control actually kicking in?

For me I go by the oil temp, and until I get the first bar lit I stay below 4000rpm and don't use full throttle.

I try to wait for the 2nd bar to be lit before giving it the full beans, but I don't always manage that.

What does anyone else do?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
i do it by water temp and dont drive it untill its moved up to just above the first 1/4 mark but also if i have more time i do perfere to wait untill she hits the 90 mark ,, if its anything under 90 temp mark when i drive off she is only taken to about 3000 rev's

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
i tend to wait for the water temp to get up to temp an get 1 bar on oil temp gauge, buy then i reckon its fine to give it a proper welly, however sometimes i do find myself giving it a bit too much when it still a lil coldish i know i shouldn't but sometimes it cannae be helped if u get some t0553r storming up ur ar53

N

·
0 Posts
Never exceeding 2500rpm until the oil temperature is 80 degrees.
Even after that i never drive it hard until i have driven for at least 20 minutes.
Need to wait untill the gearbox has warmed up too.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Drive it straight from cold, but never over 3k until the oil temp has two bars. This is the only reason I don't like other people driving my car as I doubt they're as fastidious about it as me, no matter what I tell them!

M

·
0 Posts
May I say it's a little concerning that so many go by the water temperature! My car reaches 90 degrees water temperature well before the engine oil does.
I stay below 3500 until my oil temperature has reached 2 bars which is aporox 80 degrees. I judge the gear change by it's feel.....I only go for quick changes when it's really free in the gate.....usually after about a 20 minute drive in the current weather conditions.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Drive it straight from cold, but never over 3k until the oil temp has two bars. This is the only reason I don't like other people driving my car as I doubt they're as fastidious about it as me, no matter what I tell them!
Yeah I'm the same, revs below 2.5k until the water temp needle moves then gradualy increase it, keep it below 4k until both oil temp bars are shown. Can't bear leaving my car with a garage when I know it will be ragged from cold!

I also never start my car just to move it into the garage, or drive it for less than 10 minutes unless I really have to, with my OCD I also make sure the a/c is off when starting or when stuck in traffic, always wind all the windows down atleast once a day, try to avoid sitting on the seat bolster when getting in and out, go for a good drive after washing it and won't use the washer/wipers in the dry unless the screen is spotless... :lol:

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
+1 That is why Hondas won't engage "Vtec" until the oil reaches a certain temperature
I guess that's another good reason not to own a Honda.

I stick to 3k ish or less until I get one bar oil temp. Then obviously use a few more revs but avoid full Beans until it's got two bars as that's more upwards optimum oil temp. If you are really into it you can spec an oil which works better at a lower temp allowing for safer use of revs sooner but on a long run it would start to degrade

O

M

·
0 Posts
Yeah I'm the same, revs below 2.5k until the water temp needle moves then gradualy increase it, keep it below 4k until both oil temp bars are shown. Can't bear leaving my car with a garage when I know it will be ragged from cold!

I also never start my car just to move it into the garage, or drive it for less than 10 minutes unless I really have to, with my OCD I also make sure the a/c is off when starting or when stuck in traffic, always wind all the windows down atleast once a day, try to avoid sitting on the seat bolster when getting in and out, go for a good drive after washing it and won't use the washer/wipers in the dry unless the screen is spotless... :lol:
I'm the same with the seat bolster:lol:

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have heard actually, its not good to warm up your car. Not good for the engine. Only if its freakishly cold like -20-30 'C. Then maybe 2-3min is Ok. But beside that- max time you should let the engine warm up is 15sec - 30 sec.

M

·
0 Posts
I have heard actually, its not good to warm up your car. Not good for the engine. Only if its freakishly cold like -20-30 'C. Then maybe 2-3min is Ok. But beside that- max time you should let the engine warm up is 15sec - 30 sec.
What you are referring to is using throttle whilst stationary.....which indeed is a no no.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Very true. Reason for it is very simple. When you start from cold, the mixture will be richer to allow car to idle properly, and if you leave the car idling like this for some time, the rich mixture causes more wear due to the oil being washed from the moving parts compared to light throttle driving. The other problem with warming up the engine before giving it stick is that you end up with a warm engine but cold oil amongts the gears. Not good at all.

Best still for an Alfa engine is to start up, drive off normally and just keep the fot light and the revs low until the oil temp is above 80.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Snap :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts