Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine told me that you didn't have to wait for diesel engines to warm up. Can't remember the exact explanation he gave, but as he's a farmer I wondered if this just applies to old diesel machinery and might no longer be true for modern turbo diesels.

Just curious if anyone knows?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Mine takes ages to warm up compared to a petrol car - in fact I read somewhere that because of this Alfa fit an electric heater to the JTD's to warm up the air when you switch your heater on until the engine has got up to temperature.

The user manual states that you should not leave the engine running to warm it up - just switch on & drive off

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
I treat mine the same way I have done all my cars... drive 10 miles before giving it some !! :)

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd probably wait for temperature and oil pressure to be normal before thrashing it myself, but was just curious about this. I'd be inclined to think he's wrong unless anyone is sure you can just jump in and burn off.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
as nomad says, i tend to go easy on my machinery for a few miles, allowing the oil to reach proper operating temperature, tyres and brakes to warm up etc etc ..dunno if it makes a difference but i feel better for doing it :)

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
You should warm up all types of engine before using full revs etc. Alfa recommend you wait 'til at least the needle is off the bottom of the gauge but I always wait til it's at normal operating temp ( a few miles or so).

Alfa used to be so keen on educating driver's that the Sud actually had red light which stayed on t'til operating temp was reached. Sud owners will remember it flickering when it was just getting to the cusp...Almost like a starting signal..........

·
Vendor
46,139 Posts
Well you don't NEED to let it warm up, but you really should. You will be putting so much wear and tear on it by ragging it before its warm and the oil is hot.

However, if you turn the key and go for it performance will be 95% there, its only when they're really cold that the fuel is injected earlier to make sure it has enough time to burn.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
My Merc was a diesel, and when you turned the key a coil light would come on, when that went off you were safe to start it. I then used to rag the pants off it from the off... it was only a lease.

With the Cup I always wait until the temperature guage has lifted before giving it anything above 3k-4k revs.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Start the beast... have a smoke.... get in and drive off

I usually leave the engine ticking over when i come to park for a minute to allow the turbo to spin down, dunno where i heard this but apparently it does a little good hmmmm or is that little good :)

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
The turbo can still be spinning pretty hard after a blast and switching the engine of will stop the oil flow to the bearing !! Not Good !! :(

I always take it easy on the last mile or so and then sit for 30 seconds before switching off !! :)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
He was probably referring to the glow plug heaters, which usually took 10 seconds on older engines, instant on new ones. Diesel does not warm up on tickover, petrol does. All modern cars should be driven gently to warm up, not driven hard until the oil warms up.
The old Field Marshall tractor was started with smoulldering paper stuffed in.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He was probably referring to the glow plug heaters,
He wasn't. I wish I could remember his explanation, because it sounded quite plausible at the time! I think it had something to do with lubrication. Obviously nobody else has heard of it, so it's most likely not to be true.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
I treat mine the same way I have done all my cars... drive 10 miles before giving it some !! :)
But by then I've arrived at work, got changed, had a brew and completed the crossword.

I hope he's not just turning the key and firing it up. With diesels you need to turn the key, wait for the heater light to go out, start the engine. After that, until the engine is lubricated correctly and up to temperature it is not running at it's most efficeint.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

I usually leave the engine ticking over when i come to park for a minute to allow the turbo to spin down, dunno where i heard this but apparently it does a little good hmmmm or is that little good :)
Before the advent of water cooled bearings in turbos, you were always advised to let the turbo coll down before switching the engine off, otherwise the oil would be burned off, which would not be good the next time you started the engine. Even though all modern turbos have water cooled bearings, letting it idle before switching it off is a good habbit to get into.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But by then I've arrived at work, got changed, had a brew and completed the crossword.

I hope he's not just turning the key and firing it up. With diesels you need to turn the key, wait for the heater light to go out, start the engine. After that, until the engine is lubricated correctly and up to temperature it is not running at it's most efficeint.
He waits for the diesel to heat up, starts the ignition, gives it a few beans then drives full tilt from the off. Not that it really matters, it's an L200 that he's not going to keep beyond the warranty period anyway!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts

yup with you on that one .. i was told by a motor engineer of many moons that letting the engine run for a thirty seconds when youve come to a complete stop before powering down allows the turbo to stop spinning while its still under full oil pressure apparently preserving the life of the turbo..sounds plausable so i just do it as a matter of course .

·
Vendor
46,139 Posts
Fraser, am I right in saying the new 200 & 210 2.4 JTDm engines don't even have glowplugs, they just knock the timing back when the engine is cold?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts