Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I seem to be getting paranoid about the alfa at the moment but would dearly appreciate soem others experience of the warmup cycle. Especially as it is getting colder at the moment!

OK model is '57 2.4 jTdm. So great big cast iron diesel lump! First thing in the morning (round 7am) at about an outside temp of between -1 to 2degC I can travel for about 3 miles, urban speeds beteen 30 and 40mph in about 5 mins. In that time the temperature guage needle does not shift off the stop ie it stays on 50degC. Then after a further 10 mins still in urban it just about struggles up to about 80degC. Running normally after a while it is rock steady on 90 degC.

My question is "is this normal experience" - advice welcome. Does it allways take a long time to heat up - I am sure the stat is OK (normal running temp never varies). Previous cars always got hot on the guage much quicker than this.

As car is running OK at moment I'm struggling to find problems!!!

M

·
0 Posts
I would think its normal, the coolant will take a while from being stone cold and getting to 50 deg...

Once its up to temp you say it stays bang on 90, so no thermostat issue...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine is the same, I have a 1.9jtdm, I used to have a 2.0diesel rover 75 which used to be well war, before the end of our street! The Alfa takes triple the amount of time and distance before the needles started to move!.
So all in ll I'd say it's normal for a more modern diesel.

·
Registered
963 Posts
About the same here too. 6 miles journey to work, about 10 - 12 minutes at 6 am in the morning and my 1.9 has barely reached 90 deg C. If I go later when there's traffic and I have to trundle more, it is even worse.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 1.9 is the same. 7 mile journey to work, and it's only just warm by the time I arrive. My previous car, Volvo V50 would warm up twice as quickly. I've convinced myself that the Swedes are better at dealing with the cold!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ok, mine is different. It takes ages to warm up to 50, then never reaches 90, stays around 80. It'll get to 85-88 maybe if I floor it on the motorway.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, mine is different. It takes ages to warm up to 50, then never reaches 90, stays around 80. It'll get to 85-88 maybe if I floor it on the motorway.

Is this normal?
Given all the above comments benallenuk it sounds like yours is not normal? Maybe a stuck open stat or a permanently operating cooling fan? The conditions for maximum engine temperature are lowest speed (min radiator throughflow assuming no fan assistance) and max energy into engine ie max revs thus this equates to a low gear & high revs given a constant ambient air temperature.

Thanks for all the comments "forum posters"

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Mine is the same, I have a 1.9jtdm, I used to have a 2.0diesel rover 75 which used to be well war, before the end of our street! The Alfa takes triple the amount of time and distance before the needles started to move!.
So all in ll I'd say it's normal for a more modern diesel.
Some Rover 75s along with many other diesel cars had an auxiliary engine heater. (next to the battery on a 75). The main function is to maintain full engine temp rather than rapid warm up. Same thing really I suppose.
My 1.9 Vectra has a similar warm up cycle to that in the OP.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have exactly the opposite conditions, 50-60mph in 6th for approx 20minutes, then 50-70 in 6th for 40minutes.

Maybe my thermostat is duff. I do get 50mpg though. Maybe i just drive slow!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts