Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
WARNING Broken engine mount bolts

In stripping down the engine for removal, I came across this (see picture). There are 2 bolts that go vertically down through the engine mount (under the bent rubber pipe)into the aluminium brace that is bolted to the engine on a 3.2 (not sure if other engines are similar) the front one on my car had sheared off, it's standing on it's head in the picture on top of the mount. This allowed the engine to drop about an inch (you can see the gap) and put massive stress on the second bolt. If this had broken, the engine would have literally fallen out.

I was concerned about this!!! The only time these bolts have been touched was when the timing chain was done by a "professional" about 2 years ago.

On going down to the Alfa dealers today to purchase new bolts, I find that one bolt is 10mm longer than the other. Who'd a guessed that?

I have not checked yet but I suspect long bolt in short hole!!!! Bottomed out and torque sheared.

Moral of story...If a job is worth doing...do it yourself.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Yes thank god you found that! I wonder if this has anything to do with your noises on full lock? any signs of drive shaft rubbing or the engine pulleys just touching something any shiny little metal flake shavings anywhere if the engines been sitting scew-wiff...:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I too wondered about that. No sign of anything touching. What is more confusing is that on returning home tonight I have bolts of equal length (75mm) the holes are the same depth too. So unlikely that the bolt bottomed. I am now wondering if the bolts were ever torque tightened after the chains were done. No point going back for a rant, I suspect they will just laugh at me. The real kicker is that Alfa only sell them in packs of 4....Grrrrr. anyone need a couple of bolts?

·
Registered
132 Posts
This is why I do almost every thing by my self. Thankfully I wasn't born with two left hands. Over torque or material failure...or both resulting one from the other. If these are torque plus angle they are single time use and have to be changed. In my whole life I've never seen a mechanic use a torque wrench or Loctite. So I got pi..ed and got my hands dirty. Actually that's when I realized that I love working with cars. It's a feeling of satisfaction after a job well done :rambo: And the knowledge that my car won't breakdown at the next corner. Had a Renault Laguna 2 for 13 years serviced it and sold it to my college who drives it everyday. It never let me down.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Scary find 427scr, you weren't tempted to replace the original mount bolts with high tensile ones?
Maybe they come in a 4 pack so that all are replaced at engine reinstall, maybe they are only strong enough for single use?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scary find 427scr, you weren't tempted to replace the original mount bolts with high tensile ones?
Maybe they come in a 4 pack so that all are replaced at engine reinstall, maybe they are only strong enough for single use?
Was tempted to switch to high tensile, but maybe these bolts are supposed to be soft to allow some flex? When I drilled out the broken thread, my drill went through it like butter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.