Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Me and my partner are wanting to buy a mito. We have test driven two now. A 2013 q.v. 170 in black at 45k and they want £9k for it. The second one is a 2009 1.4 120hp in white. 88k and up for 3250. I like them both but I feel the 120 one is more realistic to us price wide buy is missing things like cruise, parking sensors and nav that is things we would like. Firstly would you say the asking price is ok? It requires 2 new tyres and all new discs and pads all round. Could I buy the sensors, nav and cruise control and just fit it just like I could on my 156 (the cruise control just fitted in with a new housing, wiring was all there)
Is there anything I need to look out for when viewing the multi air with a higher mileage?

Thanks. Steve

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Steve,
I approve of your other car, I have been using a cappo as my daily (12,000 a year) drive for the last 12 years.

In https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-mito/1153074-mito-sprint-1-4-8-valve.html I give my thoughts on engine choice.

From recent threads it looks like at least some of the bells and whistles are programmed in at the factory and cannot be subsequently enabled (the specific one I recall was folding mirrors).

I was looking for leather (and got it) but would have also liked 5 seats (the split backrest) which I did not find.
As always, decide what you must have and what would be nice! If you get a choice then even better!
Martin

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Hi all. Me and my partner are wanting to buy a mito. We have test driven two now. A 2013 q.v. 170 in black at 45k and they want £9k for it. The second one is a 2009 1.4 120hp in white. 88k and up for 3250. I like them both but I feel the 120 one is more realistic to us price wide buy is missing things like cruise, parking sensors and nav that is things we would like. Firstly would you say the asking price is ok? It requires 2 new tyres and all new discs and pads all round. Could I buy the sensors, nav and cruise control and just fit it just like I could on my 156 (the cruise control just fitted in with a new housing, wiring was all there)
Is there anything I need to look out for when viewing the multi air with a higher mileage?

Thanks. Steve
I Steve. It feel the 2013 QV is overpriced & you could probably get a better deal than that for a similar MiTo of that age and mileage. However the 2009 one seems about right. If you could get a couple of hundred quid off given the tyres & brakes then that'd be a bonus, but not a deal breaker. You could probably get parking sensors fitted but I doubt they'd work as per the factory fitted ones (they had a visual display in between the speedo & rev counter on my MiTo). Not sure on Cruise Control but as you say, some Alfa's (and Fiat's) have the wiring all in place so it might be do-able.

The main thing I wanted to mention was that whilst the QV would have the MultiAir engine, a 2009 MiTo would just be the TB (T-Jet) engine, which doesn't have MultiAir tech. It's the 135, 140 & 170bhp engines that have MultiAir, but the 120 & 155bhp engines are just straightforward 1.4 turbos. If the engine cover just says 'Turbo Benzina' then it's a TB. MultiAir ones will say MultiAir on them. Personally I'd prefer to have the TB engine at higher mileage - not having the added complexity of the MultiAir tech is one less thing to think about I think.

Also, the 120 TB has a 5 speed gearbox which is known to be strong - the more common 155 TB has the infamous 6 speed General Motors M32 box, which is made of chocolate. If everything else stacks up with the car, I'd have no hesitation recommending the 2009 MiTo TB 120.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I Steve. It feel the 2013 QV is overpriced & you could probably get a better deal than that for a similar MiTo of that age and mileage. However the 2009 one seems about right. If you could get a couple of hundred quid off given the tyres & brakes then that'd be a bonus, but not a deal breaker. You could probably get parking sensors fitted but I doubt they'd work as per the factory fitted ones (they had a visual display in between the speedo & rev counter on my MiTo). Not sure on Cruise Control but as you say, some Alfa's (and Fiat's) have the wiring all in place so it might be do-able.

The main thing I wanted to mention was that whilst the QV would have the MultiAir engine, a 2009 MiTo would just be the TB (T-Jet) engine, which doesn't have MultiAir tech. It's the 135, 140 & 170bhp engines that have MultiAir, but the 120 & 155bhp engines are just straightforward 1.4 turbos. If the engine cover just says 'Turbo Benzina' then it's a TB. MultiAir ones will say MultiAir on them. Personally I'd prefer to have the TB engine at higher mileage - not having the added complexity of the MultiAir tech is one less thing to think about I think.

Also, the 120 TB has a 5 speed gearbox which is known to be strong - the more common 155 TB has the infamous 6 speed General Motors M32 box, which is made of chocolate. If everything else stacks up with the car, I'd have no hesitation recommending the 2009 MiTo TB 120.
Thanks for your sound advice Liam.
I was wondering why there was so many variants of the turboed 1.4s. Just out of curiosity what would you be able to map the 120hp one up to? I drove it today and actually felt not much slower then the 170 I drove last night. Although I couldn’t really try last night how well it actually goes.
Also what is the multiair actually all about? I would love to read up on all these varients so will help me make a wiser choice. Would you say the 6 speed in the multiairs are good compared to the tb 6 speeds?

Cheera

·
Registered
98 Posts
Steve,
Finding Mito brochures on the web helped in understanding what was available when, especially with respect to the engines.
You may find these help (hope the links are still good - it was a little while ago I found them!):

Australian Website with link to initial Australian brochure and press pack from 2009 (and later ones further down):
AustralianCar.Reviews: #1 for Reviews and Used Car Valuations Romeo&model=MiTo&gen=14
http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/A...ure_200906.pdf
http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/A...kit_200907.pdf

Linked UK site with 2011 & 2012 brochures:
Review: Alfa Romeo Type 955 MiTo (2009-13)
http://ukcar.reviews/_pdfs/AlfaRomeo...ure_201110.pdf (actually dated 08/2011!)
http://ukcar.reviews/_pdfs/AlfaRomeo...ure_201209.pdf

Bringing it more up to date a site with the 2014 brochures
Alfa Romeo Car Brochures and Catalogs
http://www.motorologist.com/wp-conte...o-Brochure.pdf

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Thanks for your sound advice Liam.
I was wondering why there was so many variants of the turboed 1.4s. Just out of curiosity what would you be able to map the 120hp one up to? I drove it today and actually felt not much slower then the 170 I drove last night. Although I couldn’t really try last night how well it actually goes.
Also what is the multiair actually all about? I would love to read up on all these varients so will help me make a wiser choice. Would you say the 6 speed in the multiairs are good compared to the tb 6 speeds?

Cheera
There are tonnes of different 1.4 MiTo's - those are just the turbo'd ones -there's also an 8 valve 77bhp, 16 valve 95bhp and a MultiAir without turbo with 105bhp. I'm not sure on mapping, but I'd imagine with over 80,000 miles on it you'd need to allow for a new clutch if you mapped it.

MultiAir uses electronic actuators in place of (i believe) the camshaft, to more finely control fuel use etc. It's basically Fiat's way of getting more performance & economy out of an engine without increasing CO2 emissions. They're good engines, but can throw a wobbly if the wrong oil is used, the level gets too low or the oil gets too grubby. On a used car, you don't really know how the owner has treated it, so it's an added risk as fitting a new MultiAir unit is circa £1000.

The TB 120 and MultiAir 135 have 5 speed boxes (both different I think), whereas the TB 155 and MultiAir 170 have 6 speed boxes (again, both different). The weakest is the TB 155 6 speed from General Motors. Some 6 speed boxes in the MultiAir 170 have been known to play up too. The 5 speeds are both fine. The TCT auto is available in the two MultiAir engines too, and is generally ok. There's also a MultiAir 140 (the 135 with a bhp hike) and that's TCT only, as are later 170's.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Once again thanks very much. So much to learn about these little cars. Being an alfa owner already my heart lies with alfa. Hence why I want to stay with them. I tried the Fabia VRS today and was very impressed but unfortunately they suffer from
Many anyone woes. The dsg is nice too. I have found this on Ebay. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/273374486441

Is this a good deal? Ticks all my boxes and has the tct gear box. Are they good? Once again thanks for all your help. ??

Steve.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I like the Fabia's too, but I think mechanically they're actually worse than Alfa once they're out of warranty. I'd be wary of that MiTo because it's had 4 owners. Might be ok but when a car changes hands lots I tend to be suspicious that it's been problematic. 4 owners for a MultiAir is 4 people who could've had their eye off the ball with servicing, which is a potential big bill with MultiAir engines. I'd be wanting one with one or two owners & no more - there's quite a lot of them out there that've been owned by one person from new so I'd recommend finding one of them instead.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I like the Fabia's too, but I think mechanically they're actually worse than Alfa once they're out of warranty. I'd be wary of that MiTo because it's had 4 owners. Might be ok but when a car changes hands lots I tend to be suspicious that it's been problematic. 4 owners for a MultiAir is 4 people who could've had their eye off the ball with servicing, which is a potential big bill with MultiAir engines. I'd be wanting one with one or two owners & no more - there's quite a lot of them out there that've been owned by one person from new so I'd recommend finding one of them instead.
Agreed, and I'd hang out for one with a full service history too.

There's over 250 1.4's on Autotrader!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agreed, and I'd hang out for one with a full service history too.

There's over 250 1.4's on Autotrader!
Cheers. Found this on Ebay. Looks ok but he can’t find the service book anywhere?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/253732485550

My perfect mito would have;

170hp
Tct gearbox
Built in satnav
Duel climate control
Biexenons

I don’t want much ?. My limit is 6k or a bit over but can’t find anything “perfect” as of yet.
Hoping something crops up soon as off on holiday end of the month and need a car for then.

Steve

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
That MiTo looks decent, though (as you rightly mention) the lack of service book would concern me.

Bear in mind that the 170bhp engine didn't get the TCT gearbox until the 2013 (63 plate) facelift, I believe, so that'll affect how much the relevant models are up for sale for.

Good news is that the 2013 facelift was also when the touchscreen (UConnect) was introduced. Sat Nav was optional on most models, but possibly standard on the (2013 facelift) QV and definitely standard on the Veloce (effectively the 2016 facelift equivilent of the QV). Look for the middle button under the screen which says 'Nav' on nav-equipped models. It says 'Settings' on models without nav.

Climate is fairly rare and xenons even rarer, so you might have to forego a couple of things to stick within budget and/or timeframe I reckon. I'd personally not be overly bothered about hunting down the 170bhp engine - you can get a much more readily available 135 or 140bhp MultiAir with TCT as well (if you really want a TCT then these were available a few years earlier on the 135bhp than on the 170), and purely as there's more available you're more likely to find some of the options you're after on one of them. Failing that the 120bhp 1.4 TB engine can't really be faulted either.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That MiTo looks decent, though (as you rightly mention) the lack of service book would concern me.

Bear in mind that the 170bhp engine didn't get the TCT gearbox until the 2013 (63 plate) facelift, I believe, so that'll affect how much the relevant models are up for sale for.

Good news is that the 2013 facelift was also when the touchscreen (UConnect) was introduced. Sat Nav was optional on most models, but possibly standard on the (2013 facelift) QV and definitely standard on the Veloce (effectively the 2016 facelift equivilent of the QV). Look for the middle button under the screen which says 'Nav' on nav-equipped models. It says 'Settings' on models without nav.

Climate is fairly rare and xenons even rarer, so you might have to forego a couple of things to stick within budget and/or timeframe I reckon. I'd personally not be overly bothered about hunting down the 170bhp engine - you can get a much more readily available 135 or 140bhp MultiAir with TCT as well (if you really want a TCT then these were available a few years earlier on the 135bhp than on the 170), and purely as there's more available you're more likely to find some of the options you're after on one of them. Failing that the 120bhp 1.4 TB engine can't really be faulted either.
Awesome Liam thanks once again for your fountain of knowledge. I have found the perfect one. Sat nav. Dual climate. Cruise. BUT it’s the 120hp diesel. ?what’s your thoughts on these engines?

https://www.stroodmotorcentre.co.uk/alfa-romeo-mito-jtdm-2-qv-line-3dr-in-rochester-kent-6330685

·
Registered
39,613 Posts
First registered to Fiat UK?
If you like the Mito in White this looks well looked after, if a bit heavy on the cockpit shine. Be sure you have driven a Mito on motorways if you intend to do much driving on them; the pretty basic electric power steering needs correction every now and again.. Fine in town though. I've driven the diesel and it's ok but you'll notice when start/stop operates at the lights!
Looks a nice spec. Climate is good as controls are is a bit low down , as they are on the Corsa which it's based on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
First registered to Fiat UK?
If you like the Mito in White this looks well looked after, if a bit heavy on the cockpit shine. Be sure you have driven a Mito on motorways if you intend to do much driving on them; the pretty basic electric power steering needs correction every now and again.. Fine in town though. I've driven the diesel and it's ok but you'll notice when start/stop operates at the lights!
Looks a nice spec. Climate is good as controls are is a bit low down , as they are on the Corsa which it's based on.
Have to say mine is fine on the motorway, no corrections needed, unlike my 17 plate Ford Transit Courrier that wanders around all over the place!:rofl:

·
Registered
39,613 Posts
Yes I agree. It's relative to what you're used to.
Every time I drove a Mito after my Giulietta, as a loan car , it's felt pretty wayward on the M25. Getting to the motorway I always thought it was better than the last one but if turned out the same. The damping on the first 135 MA I drove in 2010 was quite scary on B roads but they seemed to get a bit better. You can't get over the fact it's a cheap car, right down to needing a key for the fuel to get to refuel.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes I agree. It's relative to what you're used to.
Every time I drove a Mito after my Giulietta, as a loan car , it's felt pretty wayward on the M25. Getting to the motorway I always thought it was better than the last one but if turned out the same. The damping on the first 135 MA I drove in 2010 was quite scary on B roads but they seemed to get a bit better. You can't get over the fact it's a cheap car, right down to needing a key for the fuel to get to refuel.

You clearly have never driven a Saab 96 or a 2.0 Capri with overly wide tyres on it! :blabla:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts