Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Am new to the forum and on the hunt for a 159 as its looks have enticed me. What are the main faults to look out for? I'm hoping to get either the newer diesel or petrol engine in the TI trim but they are hard to find. As i barely do 5k a year would it be advisable to go for the 1.75tbi? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Many thanks in advance
Ace

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Have you read the buyers guide in the stickies?

Any spelling/ grammatical errors are purely there to annoy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys will have a look through the threads. Does anyone have a 1.75tbi? Whats the drive like?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks guys will have a look through the threads. Does anyone have a 1.75tbi? Whats the drive like?
I have a 1.75 tbi for 18 months now. It is really nice to drive, the engine is very smooth and you don't have the specific noise of a diesel. It is more nimble than a diesel as the powertrain is about 50kg lighter than the 2.0 diesel and about 100 kg lighter than the 2.4. On the other side you will not get the mpg of the 2.0 d but at 5k a year I do not think it is a problem. You will find a lot of owners of 2.0 diesel that will say that they remaped the engine to 220 hp and they found Nirvana but I really don't believe in inventing hot water.
Having said that best thing to do is try to drive the petrol and diesel engine and see which one you like more. Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 1.75 tbi for 18 months now. It is really nice to drive, the engine is very smooth and you don't have the specific noise of a diesel. It is more nimble than a diesel as the powertrain is about 50kg lighter than the 2.0 diesel and about 100 kg lighter than the 2.4. On the other side you will not get the mpg of the 2.0 d but at 5k a year I do not think it is a problem. You will find a lot of owners of 2.0 diesel that will say that they remaped the engine to 220 hp and they found Nirvana but I really don't believe in inventing hot water.
Having said that best thing to do is try to drive the petrol and diesel engine and see which one you like more. Good luck
Thanks Julian that's really helpful. It seems the 1.75 are pretty hard to come by atm. Will need to keep an eye out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts