Alfa Romeo Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
I looked on eBay for a new one but couldn't see any. Took the risk anyway though! I'll try and get the name of it. My mate that owns a transport company lifted it off the shelf in his workshop, 'Davy this stuff is the b##ls I'm tellin ye!!' So far so good pretty much a year on. And I'd say its definitely within your skill set!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Thanks, please do let me know what it is if you can, and I'll do some googling too.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Aha, I found it.. nice one! What width do you have? Comes in 50mm, 75mm, 100mm, 150mm, 225mm ? Not near the car and can't think how big the hole will be.?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Word of caution with Flash band tape. Get specs on flash point ..remember its hot under that bonnet..and the tape is a bituminous product i.e. coal..just a thought..

·
Registered
583 Posts
Word of caution with Flash band tape. Get specs on flash point ..remember its hot under that bonnet..and the tape is a bituminous product i.e. coal..just a thought..
Good thinking although I've had mine under there a year now and nothing has happened. Remember the air flow through the pipe is cold and the side in the engine bay still has the backing cover on it. Mine is 100mm but had to then trim it to fit around the flexi. It's a good DIY temp job but long term if you're like me you will want something better. If you ever come across the guy on eBay that makes the polished steel ones give me a heads up because I can't find him!!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Hmm, so flashband seems like a nice easy solution, but maybe worth going a little bit extra here with it being an unknown and not the best approach -- Think I'll grab a fibreglass kit, and give that a go. Should work right?

Halfords | David's Fastglass Glass Fibre Kit - Small

·
Registered
583 Posts
Fiberglass should do the job I just actually never thought of it to be honest!! Suppose the bonus with that as well would be that you could paint it black too?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Yeh that's what I was thinking.. I'll give it a go.. looks fairly idiot proof too if I follow the instructions.

·
Registered
583 Posts
For £9.99 where could you go wrong?? Get the pics up of the finished article. Hopefully get that wee snorkel off tomorrow myself

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Thinking about another option -- my airbox is in pretty bad condition, so thinking about swapping it out for the cheap CDA copy --

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161226168222

And then fitting an elbow to connect it into the rest of the intake..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90-Degree...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item25680116ef

As per Andy has earlier in this thread. Just a question -- What is the 'leg length', and do I need swaged ends? :) Or.. instead of the chrome one, do I want to go silicon? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161226168222

Prefer the look of the silicon.. but what's this leg length business?

Andy, your pics are not accessible, so can't compare.

Cheers

·
Registered
583 Posts
That could be an option. Suppose leg length would be the length from the actual elbow perhaps?? That's a bloody cheap kit the one I looked at was £85 and I thought it was good value!

·
Banned
158 Posts
Thinking about another option -- my airbox is in pretty bad condition, so thinking about swapping it out for the cheap CDA copy --

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161226168222

And then fitting an elbow to connect it into the rest of the intake..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90-Degree...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item25680116ef

As per Andy has earlier in this thread. Just a question -- What is the 'leg length', and do I need swaged ends? :) Or.. instead of the chrome one, do I want to go silicon? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161226168222

Prefer the look of the silicon.. but what's this leg length business?

Andy, your pics are not accessible, so can't compare.

Cheers
No, you just want the correct diameter intake (stock or a bit larger), which is not anywhere to be found in any of your links.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
I ran out of attachment room, some pics had to go.

The chrome pipe I used was 90mm across. The leg length was 300mm. I cut down one leg to fit. The swagged ends are helpful, but not vital . They are more for pressurised/turbo applications. As GTA is naturally aspirated, the inside of the pipe is always under vacuum, the pipes won't pop off, the vacuum will always be pulling them on tighter.

The only issue with the cheap CDA is the neck size. The proper BMC has a neck diameter of 87mm. The cheap one has a neck of 75mm. That's quite a reduction.

CDA = Pi r2 = 3.14x(43.5x43.5) =5941mm2

Cheapie = 3.14x(37.5x37.5) = 4373mm2

Airflow would need to go through a hole 74% of the size it should be.

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
Fiberglass should do the job I just actually never thought of it to be honest!! Suppose the bonus with that as well would be that you could paint it black too?
Before I bought my carbon pipe, I cut the resonance chamber of my plastic pipe. I then cut a piece of plastic out of the now unused box and glued that over the hole in the pipe and sanded it down. Spray painted the pipe satin black. Works perfectly, and looked quite good, cost practically zero :cool:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Before I bought my carbon pipe, I cut the resonance chamber of my plastic pipe. I then cut a piece of plastic out of the now unused box and glued that over the hole in the pipe and sanded it down. Spray painted the pipe satin black. Works perfectly, and looked quite good, cost practically zero :cool:
Unfortunately for me I did not think of this either!!! Plastic cut outs are long long gone.... You got a pic?

Also Andy you reckon this is obviously going to restrict air flow then? It's now more of a risk rather than a punt then

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
This is why I post these things to the forum, so you people that actually know what you're talking about can tell me why it's a bad idea and what I should actually be doing.. and save me time and effort! Plan A of butchering the original intake and fibreglassing it sounds like an easy option for now, fabricating this custom stuff is beyond me and will end up costing me a fortune in wrong parts, I just know it

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Unfortunately for me I did not think of this either!!! Plastic cut outs are long long gone.... You got a pic?

Also Andy you reckon this is obviously going to restrict air flow then? It's now more of a risk rather than a punt then

The chrome pipe will fit into the stock MAF and the stock elbow into the throttle body. It is an easy DIY job. You need a pipe, a big hacksaw and some masking tape, maybe a file.

The CDA is a good idea, but the cheap one has too narrow a neck to match the pipe work. It'd cause issues I'm sure.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts