Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Well, lesson learnt. The intake pipework isn't 76mm! The 76mm alloy external diameter pipe is 8mm too small! The resonator pipe measures 84mm external diameter!

Anyone need a 76mm alloy 90 degree bend. Let me know!

Where on earth do you get 84mm outside diameter alloy pipe 90s?

It seems standard sizes are 76mm, 80mm, 90mm and 102mm
I have been using 90 mm OD. Sqeezed inside the rubber on the MAF just so.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have been looking around and some manufacturers such as ASH sell 89 and 90mm OD pipe, but the legs are only 150mm from bend centre. I'm not sure that'll be enough? I've measured it, but without the proper diameter pipe I can't be sure! I don't fancy another £16 bent alloy paperweight.

Any thoughts?

The 76mm bend I have is a 300mm from bend centre to end of legs and that would have needed to be cut down.

Anyone have a definate answer to this one? Will the standard ASH 150mm legged alloy pipes be long enough to go from MAF to intake silicone elbow? I have mocked up the angles using the 76mm piece, it will work with the CDA re mounted at a slightly jaunty angle. I'll reduce the intake from two bends, to one which would be pleasing.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
If you check my previous post with picture attached you will find the answer. It is not enough. However you can have it extended using a pipe with same diameter.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You have a shorter elbow to the throttle body to mine though. I have a AL one that includes the take off for the breather hose.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
True. However I have a reduction and larger TB. That makes it a shorter way to airbox. So I don't know but I would rather expect it to be short.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
And I almost forgot. You will need to cut away from the leg that joins with MAF. Otherwise it is too high not allowing to close the bonnet. That shortens it also.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I've bought a standard 89mm elbow. When I have it in hand, I'll be able to mock it up and see what else I need.

·
Registered
279 Posts
This is what we done last night - bit of chopping and plastic welding :)

Got a K&N fitted defo a bit louder :) Felt tiny bit fast but that just might be me :D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Its arrived. 90mm elbow. Why the advert said 89 I don't know.

Have a can of silicon lube, and some new jubilee clips.

Now to find the time to get to it!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Task begun. Resonator off. New alloy pipe measured and cut. Black rubber collar forced on to MAF end.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
There is an autodelta one for sale on GTA facebook group, but I like the sound of your custom effort :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
And it's done. £15.49 for the pipe. £1 for the 2 jubilee clips. 1x 70-90mm and one 120mm

Can't post pics as tapatalk is utterly goosed again.

But long story short. Cut off a bit of the pipe, bent the CDA over so it was flat plane to throttle body elbow. Insert pipe into rubber/silicon sleeves. Tighten up jubilee clips and look at the scratches in the finish of the alloy pipe caused by being a cluts.

This was on a CDA equipped car, the standard airbox would need a different layout because you can't bend the airbox angle over.

Sound is the same at idle, a good deal louder on blipped throttle and at speed will find out tomorrow.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Looking good, just need to clean everything else to match!...:D
Indeed I should, but I think with older cars, the grime and muck is holding it all together. If I clean something, it'll start to leak, or explode, or cost money to fix!

I can't be having with that.

That said, I did fit a new coolant bottle last year, and I wiped the oil up when I filled it up recently and it dribbled, so there are two other clean bits!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Indeed I should, but I think with older cars, the grime and muck is holding it all together. If I clean something, it'll start to leak, or explode, or cost money to fix!

I can't be having with that.

That said, I did fit a new coolant bottle last year, and I wiped the oil up when I filled it up recently and it dribbled, so there are two other clean bits!

Every little helps I guess...:D

·
Registered
279 Posts
That looks nice - you doing a how to guide ?
And links to what you bought ?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
That looks nice - you doing a how to guide ?
And links to what you bought ?
There is very little to tell.

The bend is an ASH (autosiliconehoses.com) part from flea bay.
It is their 90mm diameter 90degree alloy elbow.each keg is quoted at 150mm. They only do one size.

I removed the original resonator and measured up the amount of pipe I'd need to cut off to allow it to fit. The leg that drops down into the MAF is too long as standard. I think it was about 11or12cm I cut off. The amount depends on how the CDA has been fitted.

I wrapped some masking tape around the pipe where it was going to be cut, then a jubilee clip to establish the line. Then I hacksawed it with a regular hacksaw up against the jubilee clip.

I then cleaned up any burrs on the pipe with a powerfile and cleaned it thoroughly in the sink with lots of fairy liquid to remove the excess swarf, grease and muck inside.

I then removed the silicon autolusso red throttle body elbow and the black rubber coupling to the MAF and fitted them to the pipe using brute force.

I then plonked it all back in the engine bay and tweaked the pipe angles and nipped up the jubilee clips.

Just for comparison, the alloy pipe on eBay that is the exact shape for this job is £100+ and the autodelta pipe is £80+ second hand.

This whole pipe and fitting was under £20.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
A few days of running it and the noise under load is more gruff, the volume is also higher. At cruise and idle, no noticeable difference. I like a lot.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts