Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys i have a alfa mito 1.4 155 tb and i have always wanted a 159 ti (1750) there is a lovely one at chris variava in notts in black etc with 35k mileage one of the sales guy's has done me a good deal but i do not know if i should take the plunge? The mito is lovely but i will have the option to change it in a year or two and the my mito might lose more in value by then so what should i do? Might be a pointless question but i would rather have other like minded points of views than not at all so come on and convince me!!!!:lol:

Edit quick question do all 159 ti's have brembos and the sport chassis etc??

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Well, you'll be changing a current car for one that's now obsolete.:(

And the Mito seems to keep its value quite well. The 159, well, isn't that bad but it's only going to get worse now :(

And a fuel efficient/tax car for one that, ermm, really isn't :(

I would keep the Mito. Save your money for a Giulia. If it ever comes.

·
Registered
841 Posts
If you want a 159 TI then have it :)
They really are different cars though, I should know as I drive the 159 TI 1750 and the Mito TBI on a regular basis. The TI do differ in spec but on a 59 plate it should have full leather and most of the toys though no electric seats or mirrors. (I think they all have brembo and lowered suspension though?)
Basically the 159 will depereciate more, cost more in tax, insurance and do about 10mpg less than your Mito. That said if you want the car and can afford the extra cash to run the 159 then why not - Mitos are lovely but the 159 is a spectacular looking car, outside and inside, especially in TI form and is in a different league on the luxurious feel. The 1750 is a stonking engine too though the fuel economy is cr*p for a small capacity turbo charged engine but that applies to all 159's due to the weight it carts around.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm insurance is no worry as i checked and i can get it same as my mito! would running costs be so much higher? My mito if i drive like i am basically dead gets about 32 mpg and when i drive like a normal person doesnt see higher than 28 mpg it really is that crap! Tax would be higher but i heard the 159 1750 ti has good emissions due to the turbo tech and its cheaper than its german rivals (at the time of release)? Hmmm its gonna be a difficult choice and do i really wanna be tied down on anouther payment plan for a few more years?

Edit= According to what the dealer told me it sounds like my mito has not really held its value very well? Its worth just under 10k apparantly so whats it gonna be worth in anouther year or two?

G

·
The 159 Ti is one of the best looking saloons out there with options galore and a choice of good engines to boot. I would need no convincing if I could afford one. Go for it!!!

P.S Is it the black one with tan leather? Oh and CV's part ex's are always pretty low, your car is probably worth a bit more than they tell you but then the 159 Ti is pretty well priced I noticed so it all works itself out. Unless you try a private sale on your MiTo and then you will be better off all round

·
Registered
841 Posts
Maybe 10mpg was a bit high but I would bank on 5mpg less from the 159. Depends on what mileage you do but the cost to own difference probably isnt that great. That said the 159 will be harder to shift than the mito in future as the superminis are still in big demand and large petrol saloons arent. (if you chop it in then its not such an issue) To be fair both have taken the main hit on the depreciation front so it shouldnt be too much of a barrier though the 159 will probably cost slightly more. (Though I notice on Alfas pricing its cheaper to servcie a 159 now than it is a Mito :eek:)

·
Registered
512 Posts
I would echo the sentiments above - still the best looking saloon on the road (the fact that it is no longer in production is irrelevant)

PS: I'll sell you my 2.4 derv Ti and you can have the best of both worlds - reasonable economy and lots of torque :cool:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Like Bones above, I've got both, and it's hard to compare as they are such different cars.

Worthwhile considering the type of driving you do. Around town, the MiTo is better. It's nimble where the 159 can feel more cumbersome, especially to park.

On the motorway the 159 is far better.

The 159 will cost you more to run. For example 19" tyres are £250+ a corner for 'name brand' tyres, and around £100 a corner for budget brand tyres.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Eh? you can't be looking at selling already!!!! :lol:
Well.....I could be tempted. Maybe looking at getting back into the petrol gang again (Don't tell the wife though :tut:). In hindsight, buying a DERV when I do 7k miles a year was a bit silly.

I think I've got GrahamP-itis. If I do change that will be 4 x Alfas in about 20 months :lol:

G

·
Well.....I could be tempted. Maybe looking at getting back into the petrol gang again (Don't tell the wife though :tut:). In hindsight, buying a DERV when I do 7k miles a year was a bit silly.

I think I've got GrahamP-itis. If I do change that will be 4 x Alfas in about 20 months :lol:
I think they may be one more than me :lol:

I only do that amount of miles too but the diesel has still saved me a shed load of money. Will probably go back to petrol as have paid off my overdraft now...no rush though, I finally have the GT running as it should be (EGR replaced!!!)

You are not thinking of another 3.2 are you? I do miss our silver/red beauty I must admit

·
Registered
199 Posts
i'd wait for the Giulia and see what that offers but if your heart is set on a 159 then go for it. it does have its pitfalls but it is an enjoyable car. 1750 tbi i hear is thirsty but its down to your opinion. 159 handles like a dream, build is very good. paint work could have been better, and if i'm honest it could have been built with better quality parts to last longer miles. expect costs to go up with 159.

·
Registered
512 Posts
i'd wait for the Giulia and see what that offers but if your heart is set on a 159 then go for it. it does have its pitfalls but it is an enjoyable car. 1750 tbi i hear is thirsty but its down to your opinion. 159 handles like a dream, build is very good. paint work could have been better, and if i'm honest it could have been built with better quality parts to last longer miles. expect costs to go up with 159.
Giulia looks like it will be late 2013 / early 2014 according to Alfa so a bit of a wait for the OP.

You are not thinking of another 3.2 are you? I do miss our silver/red beauty I must admit
Not sure. Tbi would be preference just to avoid that horrendous tax bill of the 3.2, but the V6 still is very tempting. If I do change it will have to be a swap or downgrade of sorts as I am determined not to sink any more cash into another car. GT 3.2 or 147 GTA are definite possibilities looking at current prices.

Apologies for the thread hijack OP.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Giulia looks like it will be late 2013 / early 2014 according to Alfa so a bit of a wait for the OP.
Agreed - latest reports from Italy say that Giulia, the 4wd Crossover AND the 4c will be built in the USA and the thing that is holding them back from production is the engine which is still in development.

G

·
Agreed - latest reports from Italy say that Giulia, the 4wd Crossover AND the 4c will be built in the USA and the thing that is holding them back from production is the engine which is still in development.
I also heard that the boss at Fiat wasn't happy with the design, so they had to go back to the drawing board.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.