Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since my last post. I thought I was going to have a lazy weekend - oh no.

Taking a slip off the A3 the car pulled to the left then corrected itself under braking. It now does it every time the brakes are used. It'll pull left, then straighten up.

I've just checked both front wheels and brakes. Looks like both front discs and pads need to be changed (pads under wear limit, discs are close and will be under by the next pad change). The sliding pins all moved freely, and the wear seemed even over both sides of the car, and pads were worn evenly.

I remember some people having issues with the wrong discs and pads listed in the parts catalogues. Some list the same disc for the 16v and V6, others have different discs (different overall thickness). I'll pop out and check mine tomorrow. Help!

I'm looking for standard pads and discs for a 1997 155 2.0 16V with Lucas calipers (widebody, not sportpack, not super). I'm looking for suggestions for where to buy, and any problems with part numbers.

Whilst the wheels were off, I noticed massive inside edge wear on the osf wheel. The nsf was evenly worn. Both need replacing anyway. Is this a sign of wishbone problems? Would this cause the wandering? I had a nose at both wishbones whilst the wheels were off - both seemed fine with no excessive movement in the bushes.

I have P7000s all round at the moment, and I'm happy with them, so I'm thinking about getting another set. Is there any other makes I should be considering? Has anyone gone from a P7000 to something they think is even better?

Sorry for the long post.

Rob.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Are you getting any clunking from the front end? Could be wishbones or the tracking is out.

Not sure about your braking....I'd have said the piston is seizing and taking that little bit longer to release and causing excessive and prolonged braking.....but you said its ok?

How about the flexi-pipe breaking down inside, this has been known, kinda acts like a one way valve allowing fluid to go to the brake but not return immediately. Either way it's a strip down and investigate job :D

wrinx

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. It isn't prolonged braking. It's as if the ns brakes bite first, then the os catches up. Release is fine. I had a quick look at the pistons yesterday, and they seem fine (clean, no obvious corrosion or wear).

I found some previous posts about the flexi pipes, but it doesn't sound like my problem.

Clunks. Nothing regular. If it's really cold I might get one clunk from the front when I go over the speed bump at the end of the road first thing in the morning, but that's it. Thought it might be ice in the bushes.

Rob.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Get the wishbones checked but I think the tracking could well be causing the problem. The inside of your osf wheel will be "steered" more quicky than the outside and as it sounds toed out, you will get a movement to the left.

Change the wishbones if they're remotely dodgy though as they will require the tracking to be checked afterwards anyway - saves tracking it twice.

Ralf S.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tyre wise I swear by Colways.
Yes, these are re-moulds
Yes, they are a little soft and do wear a little quicker.

These tyres do not compromise performance and are H rated. Excellent performance in the wet as well. The best part is that they are only £13 a tyre. For that price you can afford to wheelspin every where.

http://www.colwaytyres.co.uk/
http://www.tyresdirect.uk.com/

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
RJF, you did not mention if you'd checked the balljoints in the wishbones. Check with the weight off the wheels (car jacked).

With regard to braking, see if the caliper pistons push back easily. A large set of crowfoot pliers is ideal because you get a good feel fo how much effort is needed. Then, pump them out slightly, and repeat with the bleed screw open. If it's now easier, it would be a flexible brake hose at fault.
Failing that, try my favourite; that the brake pads are free in the carrier. I'm sure it's one or the other.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update...

Just got new discs and pads and I'm in the process of fitting them. Pads are listed for the Q4? (FDB768 Ferodo) and discs for mine (2.0 16v, Brembo 09505810).

The piston wound back cleanly on the NS, haven't done the OS. BUT.... noticed that a bit of plastic screwed to the inner wing has snapped and has been attacking the flexi line :eek: I've managed to miss that for the last few days. So I'll probably swap out both front ones as I'll have to bleed the system and change fluid. Only need to find a duff caliper to have a full house! (and an empty bank account)

Just off to check the runout on the discs and chase down some new flexi lines.

Thanks for all the help. I'm still working on it! :rolleyes:

Rob.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Given up for the day. :(

OS caliper wouldn't return, so I couldn't get access to the pads (was fine yesterday). Only difference was that I'd just wound back the NS caliper. I could only just rotate the hub with the wheel on! I eventually managed to move it by opening the bleed nipple and catching the fluid. So it may be the pipe after all. I have two on order ("should be in Friday" - I forgot to ask which Friday :) )

Anyway, both discs are on and running true (0.04mm runout). Need to change both pipes and fit OS pads.

The old discs.... Both inboard faces seemed less worn than the outer (Only slightly). The inboard pad on the OS had a massive groove cut out of it by a ridge on the outer edge of the disc. This groove was on the swept are of the disc, not the extreme edge, so I'm not sure what caused it. I'll try and get a pic.

Waiting for Friday... I'm reduced to public transport now :rant:

Thanks agian for all your help

Rob.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Sounds like the flex hose for sure!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was a bit of an epic!

But... I now stop in a straight line!!!! :)

Flex hose replacement was a bit involved, but eventually I managed. If anyone else is doing it, you'll need an 11 and 17mm flare nut wrench, and a good 14mm flats drive spanner. I wouldn't try it without decent spanners.

The eezibleed I bought wasn't really easy. Excellent idea let down by poor quality materials and manufacturing. Still, job's done now.

Thanks again for all your help.

Rob.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts