Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realise. I really hate Audi diesels!

Walking around the carparks, you can normally hear the petrols as a "hummmmm". But all diesels "judda judda judda". I had to get some cash from the cash point outside and behind me where 2 brand new diesel audi's and the noise of them ideling nearly drove me insane!!!! And then they pull away "judda judda brrrrrrrGGGGGGGGGGG". They are definately not quiet or smooth!

Then of course there is the fumes. I had to push an Audi a4 diesel up a hill in last years snow. I was the unlucky sod on the exhaust corner. The fumes where awfull, felt like my lungs where going to die.

Please tell me alfa Diesels aren't as bad!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Deffo not, VAG diesels are the worst. Make the old Maestro / Montego direct injection unit sount refined (it sounded like it was gargling cannonballs!)

The Fiat/Alfa JTD units are infinitely more refined, the 2.4 in the 159 actually sounds like an old Audi 5 pot from the outside when it is above idle, at idle there is just a trace of clatter, but naff all really.

Pity I am a confirmed petrolhead, but the 2.4 could convert me, :wow: spesh as I am now doing 120 miles a day in the Vectrobe, dodgy drivers window, wrong (too low) profile tyres and centre silencer replaced with straight pipe et al. :rolleyes: Statrting it at 6 am will soon get my neighbour's backs up I am sure, but thankfully they are all pensioners and deaf! :D

T'is strangely relaxin' though. Lil' Miss's slave is doin' fine at the mo. :D

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
What surprises me is the number of smokey diesels still running around in new cars these days - particular (should that be particulate) culprits are VAG and Ford engines.

I followed Puntomatts 156 2.4 JTD 10v up from Selkirk last weekend and, even when he was giving it stick it was surprisingly smoke free.

My old 156 Mjet and the 159 Mjet are pretty rorty on the move and only really have a clatter at tickover when cold.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I think the worse diesels must be the old (1979s) Merc and Peugeot diesels - they smell really bad aswell as being noisey :(

·
Registered
498 Posts
I agree that Audis are the worst smokers. And you can imagine that in Germany we have a lot of them. The most annoying thing is, when you "see" the drivers stepping on the loud pedal because of the amount of smoke coming out, but he keeps cruising at the same speed anyhow. WTF is he doing?
Strangely (modern) diesel VW seem to be much better in that respect.
In terms of most toxic smell I think BMW is certainly the winner. If a X5 is pulling out in front of me, I try to close the air vents immediately. :vomit:

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Audi's and VW's use the same powerplants so how can one brand smoke more than the other :confused:

I have and to disagree on the rattling thing and say that my VAG diesel rattles less that the Brera !! In fact a couple of past passengers in the Leon have been suprised that it was a diesel !! ;)

Both don't emit clouds of smoke :rolleyes: or smell either !! :tut:

The only cars I've seen chucking out clouds of smoke lately have been petrols that are obviously totally sh4gged !! :(

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
my daily drive is a 430bhp diesel, you should see the crap that comes out of that;) but following some diesel cars is like driving through fog, albeit black fog. i really dont understand people who buy diesel convertables, the clouds of black smoke slightly ruin the look:cheese: VAG diesels do seem to be the worst offenders but damn they are quick. worse is to come though audi are putting a diesel in the gallardo:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: (maybe)

B

·
0 Posts
I think the particle filter is the key. Without it a lot of TDi's - even modern ones - do kick out quite bit of soot. As was said, it's always easy to tell when the driver is booting it :)

Saying no more, however, for fear of re-igniting the debate. ;)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
i really dont understand people who buy diesel convertables, the clouds of black smoke slightly ruin the look:
Each to their own - I've a Spider diesel and defy anyone to tell the difference when following it (other than the fact that it'll disappear into the distance !)

I've just handed back an A4 TDi Estate to Europcar in Barcelona - booked a GT JTD with them but they 'upgraded' me :mad: I assume it was a 140BHP but it felt soulless and belched smoke like there was no tomorrow when I gave it the boot.

Definitely looking forward to picking up Bella in a couple of hours and seeing the difference.

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
I've just handed back an A4 TDi Estate to Europcar in Barcelona - I assume it was a 140BHP but it felt soulless and belched smoke like there was no tomorrow when I gave it the boot.
I can assure you the 170 bhp is exactly the same. I test drove the Avant S-Line SE model before I ordered the 159 expecting it to be a close choice, but it wasn't. The Audi was dull to be in, noisier, less comfortable, had a more fidgety ride, was completely dead about the helm and accelerated with all the panache of a tortoise on Red Bull.

I'm glad I test drove it though, because I still like the look of the S-line Avant and I might have had some niggling doubt if I hadn't discovered its significant weaknesses.

D

·
0 Posts
my daily drive is a 430bhp diesel, you should see the crap that comes out of that;) but following some diesel cars is like driving through fog, albeit black fog. i really dont understand people who buy diesel convertables, the clouds of black smoke slightly ruin the look:cheese: VAG diesels do seem to be the worst offenders but damn they are quick. worse is to come though audi are putting a diesel in the gallardo:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: (maybe)
I seriously hope you are wrong about them sticking a diesel engine in the Gallardo, if they do that I might just have to shoot myself, lol

·
Registered
662 Posts
**** it ive always been well in the petrol camp but recently ive been looking at the figures achievable after a remap on a diesel and been thinkin that the next motor could well be a turbo diesel alfa, the only thing that might change my mind is the excellent prices Maser 3200Gts are going at recently :)

i reckon that diesel will be the fuel of the future tbh, its easily made in different varients even from natural gas and veg oil. and ive been keeping a close eye on teh 1 series BMW diesel in the BTC lately and its quite impressive imo so why not a gallardo?

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so why not a gallardo?
Well, you lose 1 of the reasons for buying a lambo, the noise. A lambo without the Noise might as well be an audi a6 estate diesel

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I had a spin in a mates new A4 Avant 150bhp today, and I have to say if the current Alfas drive better than that they must be very, very good indeed. I found the Audi to be a really nice drive, maybe a bit lacking in instant grunt but once it got spinning it was very nippy. He did have to spend a lot on extras but it was well specced, very quiet inside and the seats were extremely comfortable. Looks damn nice too.... but I'd still rather have a 159 SW TI :D

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
Audi's and VW's use the same powerplants so how can one brand smoke more than the other :confused:
Simple. Audis are driven by light-footed accountants who think of miles per gallon during sex with their wives named Barbara. VW TDI's are driven by underachievers called Dean with something to prove.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
:thinking: I'd knew they'd be a simple explanation :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts