Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
She looks really scary in that picture. I just fired a rant off to several MPs including Jacqui entitled 'Remembrance Day and Responsibilities'

It ended with:

'If our elected representatives really cared about the sacrifices made wouldn't they respect the freedoms and values of this country rather than deriding and debasing them?

They died so Labour can play Big Brother? What a waste!'

The Plastic Poll Tax is another junket for the IT industry.

They've already gone out to the High Street telling them how much it will cost when they want to verify our identity before taking out a product, service or mobile phone contract.

So the Govt. have all of our IDs, and then they'll say whether we are who we say we are with a business model that looks very similar to that used by Experian et al.

A few years ago, between 2002 and 2006 as I know what car I was in when I heard it, Radio 4's PM had a feature on how the financial industry wanted the govt. to open their register of the dead so banks, building societies and credit card co.s could check that people applying for new accounts weren't using, assuming the identity of dead people. The Govt. refused.

So the Govt. could have helped reduce fraud, and people assuming the identity of others. I don't know if would be terrorist types adopt the ID of dead people, or commit fraud using such identities to fund terrorist activities.

I guess one reason the government refused would be that it would reduce the possible revenue stream that it'll get from the ID Card.

At the last election I almost voted Lib Dem as they said they would scrap it and spend it on bobbies.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
We need the Tories and the Lib Dems to come out and say 'You can get an ID Card now if you like, but if we get in it'll be scrapped'

Come on Tory and Lib Dems - it just needs your party spokespeople to issue a statement. Labour are on the ropes you're the opposition, do your thing, come on...

·
Registered
14,575 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Surely, she has just made the biggest mistake of her career? She's going to allow people to pre-register for them! WTF? Something tells me they'll be a bit less popular than the iPhone. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I cant imagine seeing the redtops "Furore as ID cards sell out on first day" headline

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
Jack Straw was on Question Time. I caught the last five minutes. I just watched the Brazilian GP again.

Jack Straw looks like another you can imagine in an all black authoritarian uniform.

Once at my mates I was there for halloween. I got roped in to drawing pumpkins on orange card to stick up on the wall. I drew round lenses glasses on one of them and called it Jack Straw.

See the other link on having to renew Driving Licences every 10 years at £17 a pop, and £1000 fine if you forget.

They'll do exactly the same with the ID Card, and use any infraction as an excuse to extort more money out the unfortunate 'citizen' or their estate.

Another Labour term will mean more stealth taxes. We had one of the best pension set ups in the world until Brown raided them.

What's he done with the cash?

·
Registered
37,214 Posts
Well I won't be getting an ID card, at least not until the police come knocking on my door to arrest me for not having one. :thumbs:

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Wont take long before someone can copy them.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
ID cards, if introduced, will be subscribed to, purchased, renewed and kept up to date only by the large majority of law abiding citizens who always do as they are told.

These are precisely the people for whom ID cards will be of no benefit (either to themselves or the authorities).

Any self respecting terroritst, scrote, scrounger, illegal, fraudster or ne'er do well who needs to be tracked will either never get one, or have a nice shiny array of dodgy ones to choose from as required.

Utter waste of time, except as a new tax on the aforementioned large majority of law abiding citizens.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
:thumbs:
The greatest worry for me at least, is that casual visitors to this country, or immigrants will not have ID cards, so will be "off radar", when it comes to crime.
They will have to sort something out so that people who come on holiday or the freeloaders would have to get one sorted before they come over. Could work wonders for immigration and illegal immigrants :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
I fully support the ID card policy of our hugely competent and successful Labour government as there is insufficient monitoring of the population, and nowhere near enough CCTV.

Add to the fact we have such a huge budget surplus, we have to spend the money on something.

·
Registered
37,214 Posts
ID cards, if introduced, will be subscribed to, purchased, renewed and kept up to date only by the large majority of law abiding citizens who always do as they are told.

These are precisely the people for whom ID cards will be of no benefit (either to themselves or the authorities).

Any self respecting terroritst, scrote, scrounger, illegal, fraudster or ne'er do well who needs to be tracked will either never get one, or have a nice shiny array of dodgy ones to choose from as required.

Utter waste of time, except as a new tax on the aforementioned large majority of law abiding citizens.

I think that hits the nail on the head. :thumbs:

Although I am law abiding and I still don't want one.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Well I won't be getting an ID card, at least not until the police come knocking on my door to arrest me for not having one. :thumbs:
Trouble is though,they'll slowly make life more difficult for you without one.
You will likely need one to open a bank account,get a drivers liscense,claim benefit,get NHS treatment,the list could go on and on.

Sure, you dont have to have one but something tells life will be extremely difficult without one unless you want to live in a cave.

Very sinister and an obscene waste of money:mad:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts