Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how long W configuration engines have been around? I thought of this one ages ago, but assumed there was a reason it didn't work well until I read about a Bentley that uses a W16 unit :rolleyes:

It's essentially two low angle V8's side-by-side with a single crankshaft from what I can gather. I'd love to know how it sounds :D How about a K8 though - a flat 4 with a v4 bolted on top?! :confused: I hereby copyright that one (waits to be told one was made in 1924.....)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Volkswagen/Audi have a W12 engine. Heard it on some car program a year or so ago. Well actually, I didn't hear it as it was muffled to buggery.

Marlon

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The was a W16 BRM GP car in the mists of time, It still runs today at classic GP's. When it was built the technology wasnt really in place to make it realaible and powerfull, i beleive it runs very well now, with modern ignition, fuel systems etc, Think it was buit in the 50's

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FC the BRM was a V16.. but they have been around for years and years caddilac also did one. the BRM was built about 5 miles from my house and a few years ago they closed the roads off and ran them all day up down the high street (brilliant).!!!

vector also made a W16 made from two chevy motors.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
volks are launching a new car this year ,think its an mpv with a w 12.
alan

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Volkswagen also have a W5 - it's been available in the Golf for a few years and is also in the Beetle.

Or is that a V5? No, that's a registration document :confused:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ian it is the V5. Not sure how it works though, surely it would be off balance ???

Marlon

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a couple of pics. Going off topic but

The W12

The V5

Marlon

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the V5 is more like a straight 5 with two cylinders offset slightly from the other three - by moving them apart you can overlap them slightly allowing 5 cylinders to fit into less length. Can't remember exactly what the angle is between the 'banks' but it's unusually small.

Presumably the crank is designed such that everything balances out - probably uneven firing intervals.

Ian

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pictures of the German kind Marlon :mad:

Where's the web master eek!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry.....Wrinx,Henry, J....don't hit me....please...aaargh....ouch....oooyah...

Marlon

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The VW based W16 engine thats going into Bentleys is also going into Lamborghini's, though I heard there would be a W18 too. It seems like VW will be platform sharing between Bentley and Lamborghini. For some reason, they must think that these two throughbred marques are no different to a Polo or SEAT Ibiza.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
*J pulls trousers back up...*

now let that be a lesson to you marlon.

next you'll be putting scoob vents on a 155... sheesh!

:D :D

J

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Craig, where did you get this information about the W16 going into a Lambo? It'll never happen. The engine is too heavy and too tall.

The new Gallardo will form the basis for a new Audi supercar (shared aluminium body frame and engine) but only VW, Bugatti and Bentley are likely to use the W16. Lambo has too long a tradition of using V12's so using anything different would lose their identity.

And can you really imagine Lambo and Bentley sharing a common platform? Come clean and name your sources!

Ian

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I also believe BRM produced an H16 engine in the mid 60's, think this was 2 v8s sharing a common crank with one upside down, or it could have been two flat 8s sharing a common crank. The V16 BRM engine is the highest pitch screemer I've ever heard.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Two flat 8's couldn't share the same crank unless they were in line with each other. Two V8's would give an X engine, not an H so unless this engine was named with some imagination I would guess at two flat 8's (separate cranks) one on top of the other with the cranks connected together (common flywheel). Sounds pretty bizarre anyway - BRM must have been quite inventive!

Excuse me, must go, I'm off to build a K12 engine by joining an Alfa V6 to a Porsche flat 6 :D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How about a K8 though - a flat 4 with a v4 bolted on top?! I hereby copyright that one
Ian, my copyright extends to all K engines by the way. Current licencing fees are £1000 per cylinder :D

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
whoops, missed that copyright, although you didn't specify that it applied to all K-formations!

OK, I'll have to opt for a Y12 instead - V8 mated to upside-down straight 4, common crank, and while we're at it the T9 (my favourite) made up of a Porsche flat 6 and a Daihatsu 3-cylinder.

An L8 is also a possibility - one short-stroke 4 and one long-stroke 4. I think that's exhausted the possible letters on my keyboard, certinaly as far as common-crank applications go.

Ian

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
What about the letter O, I don't mean the old Marina 'o' series. I was thinking of the aero radial engines. Never heard of any in a car application but you never know?

Phil

1 - 20 of 22 Posts