1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting one:

Southeast Texas Record | Volkswagen sued after teens involved in rollover

"The complaint argues that the death and injuries could have been prevented through safer design alternatives that include "electronic stability control, seats less prone to failure during rollover events, ABTS/seat-integrated restraints, rollover-activated seat belt pretensioners, rollover-activated side-curtain airbags, and side glass less prone to breakage and/or failure during rollover events."

"Seats less prone to failure"? Maybe they are 'less prone' but sadly this time were pushed beyond their design threshold?

"ABTS/seat-integrated restraints, rollover-activated seat belt pretensioners, rollover-activated side-curtain airbags,..." But they must have known the car didn't have these things when they bought it?

"...and side glass less prone to breakage and/or failure during rollover events" Glass less prone to breaking? Ok, what if the car did have doubled glazing, and the car caught fire and they couldn't escape and burnt to death inside? Would they still sue VW for featuring glass less prone to breaking?

More importantly...if these safety features really mattered to them, why didn't they buy a car that had them in the first place? And, would they have been prepared to pay the extra $2,000 for them? I suspect not.

I can understand their hurt. But realistically, a manufacturer can only do so much to protect people. It cannot anticipate and mitigate against every single impact scenario.

I'm sorry for their loss...but their claim comes from grief and not sense.

what do you think guys?

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Hmmm...seems like crazy American litigation to me - you could blame the parents for not ensuring their son could drive properly and knew how to correct a slide; or for not teaching him to drive appropriately for the conditions etc

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I was in America in March this year, was driving a Ford van that felt like it wanted to fall over at every corner so I drove within the limits of the vehicle, simple really.

If I fall over do I sue Issac Newton for inventing gravity

N

·
0 Posts
A sixteen year old loses control of car, crashes and
himself and passenger are killed. :(

Grieving parents then goaded into suing by filthy scumbag,
ambulance chasing lawyers. :(:(

Unless there are more accidents under similar circumstances, they don't stand a chance. Lawyers will win either way. :(:(:(

N

·
0 Posts
I was in America in March this year, was driving a Ford van that felt like it wanted to fall over at every corner so I drove within the limits of the vehicle, simple really.

If I fall over do I sue Issac Newton for inventing gravity
Yes, but driving an SUV down an interstate at +70MPH
and then having to take avoiding action is extremely dangerous
especially when most drivers will be totally oblivious
to the risk. :eek:

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Gotta feel for the parents, but American Lawyers should be flogged publicly !!

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
They're just on the make. Shameful, their son has died and all they can think of is money. What is the world coming to :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts