Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm becoming quite bored with my GTV, and am considering selling it and getting a Lupo GTI. I know the GTV is a classier looking car but the Lupo is light, quite fast and economical.

Has anyone ever owned one, or thought about buying one?

·
Registered
37,756 Posts
Funny you should say this, as I was looking at them last week.

They appear to be quite rapid, handle well and are reasonably economical.

However they are not exactly cheap, and for a similar amount of cash you can get a Renaultsport Clio 182, which is faster and handles better.

Also in my case I need to drive around a Toddler and assorted gubbins and the lack of space in the boot and rear seat finally turned me against the idea.

If you want a reasonably nippy car, that handles well and you are not too worried about the high price and lack of space you could do worse, as I bet it would hold its value quite well too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny you should say this, as I was looking at them last week.

They appear to be quite rapid, handle well and are reasonably economical.

However they are not exactly cheap, and for a similar amount of cash you can get a Renaultsport Clio 182, which is faster and handles better.

Also in my case I need to drive around a Toddler and assorted gubbins and the lack of space in the boot and rear seat finally turned me against the idea.

If you want a reasonably nippy car, that handles well and you are not too worried about the high price and lack of space you could do worse, as I bet it would hold its value quite well too.

Yep there are a few nice ones for sale on Pistonheads, what also attracts me is that a high majority of their owners are VW enthusiasts who will have probably looked after and cherished them, the same couldn't be said for the 182 Clio!

I like the simplicity of them and the fact they have some modern equipment (aero wipers, xenons etc.)

Only thing that puts me off is that from some angles the back end can look a bit too 'square' :(

·
Registered
37,756 Posts
Some Clios will be well looked after, its a case of sorting the wheat from the Chaff.

I know what you mean about the Lupo's rear. In red they look a bit like Postman Pat's van.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
Aren't bits of the body Aluminium? They're a bit more than just a go faster version of the normal Lupo.

I think I'd rather have a 172 Clio and a spare wheel well than a 182. The 182 Trophies have come down a lot, but I am not sure how much life would be left in those £2,500 of de Carbon shockers.

A friend has had a 98 1.6 16V Clio from new doing over 100K, it's been OK though it was a reluctant starter recently but that was fixed with a new crank sensor.

The EVO long term test review, with links at the bottom:

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolongtermtests/15602/volkswagen_lupo_gti.html

·
Registered
37,756 Posts
In a similar Ilk to the Lupo, I also quite like the Seat Ibiza Cupra R (220BHP version), as well as the Renaultsport Twingo.

·
Registered
349 Posts
They are quite a hoot to drive due to the sheer lack of weight, and if anything does go wrong a lot of the parts are interchangable with a similar age Polo so not too expensive to fix.

What I will say is if you're serious about getting one, make sure the pedal box has been done. These go a lot on the Lupo and Polo GTi's at about 60-80k and can be costly (as a mate of mine found out to his peril...)

·
Registered
404 Posts
They look ok from the front but then they just end all of a sudden at the back. Like someone has taken a Polo and chopped the back off and put a square boot lid on.

Absolutely tiny, I can't see any reason to buy one - especially over a GTV.

·
Registered
37,756 Posts
They look ok from the front but then they just end all of a sudden at the back. Like someone has taken a Polo and chopped the back off and put a square boot lid on.

Absolutely tiny, I can't see any reason to buy one - especially over a GTV.
I can see a couple of reasons for buying one over a GTV.

They are faster, more agile and more economical.

Obviously they are nowhere near as good looking though which does count for a lot.

·
Vendor
45,807 Posts
My brother in law has had a couple, I think around town it may be nippier than a GTV 2.0 but I don't think it will be on the open road. But there won't be loads in it. They don't seem to be quite the quality product that VW has a good reputation for. But they are great fun. I think I'd rather have something a bit bigger, I'd definitely take a Clio 172 over one, if insurance is not an issue.

·
Registered
37,756 Posts
My brother in law has had a couple, I think around town it may be nippier than a GTV 2.0 but I don't think it will be on the open road. But there won't be loads in it. They don't seem to be quite the quality product that VW has a good reputation for. But they are great fun. I think I'd rather have something a bit bigger, I'd definitely take a Clio 172 over one, if insurance is not an issue.
I don't think there is much difference between the Lupo GTI and Clio 172 in terms of Insurance to be honest.

The Clios are cheaper to buy that's a fact and there are far more around.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
I could be talking out of my hat here, or just have rose tinted glasses on but I have a feeling they won't be as spacious inside as an Uno.

Older cars look so much smaller than modern ones. There was a Volvo 850 wagon at the end of my road that now looks tiny.

Trawling around the web the 97> Ibiza has cropped up a few times. I think the early Golf GTI likeness of them and the room and slightly more size would be more appealing to me. There's that run out 1.8T one with the LSD. I think they'd be easier in the narrow little lanes I tend to use, people have started to park in what were turning circles and passing places meaning the route taken is dictated by the size of the vehicle and the parking of others. Smaller means there's a chance to turn in the road and go in the direction I'd really want to go.

It's also a bit of a turn off for Alfas and Fiat Coupes with quick racks and turning circles comparable with a cross channel ferry :( . I'd just have to go the long way round forcing me to use other roads and junctions regardless of whether I want to go that way or not. 16V Coupes have slower racks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts