Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...why are the mk V R32's from 2005 so friggin expensive? There's barely one under £12k with low mileage yet you can pick up a newer GT or 159 3.2 even for £3-4k less!

Even the same age/mileage 130i's have fallen into the under 10k market

·
Registered
77 Posts
Unless you need the 4wd of the R32 I would strongly advise looking at the 130 - much much nicer engine, you can expect low 30s mpg as opposed to low 20s with the Golf

After saying that I chickened out on buying one due to concerns over snow

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
Supply and demand?

How many R32s were sold new? It's a bit like the Passat W8, and Clarkson opined about the 166 in his eulogy?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unless you need the 4wd of the R32 I would strongly advise looking at the 130 - much much nicer engine, you can expect low 30s mpg as opposed to low 20s with the Golf

After saying that I chickened out on buying one due to concerns over snow
I'm just a tiny bit tempted by both....and that is only because there isn't a fast Alfa with 4 doors (156 GTA aside but not keen on the 156 styling). I'll probably end up with a 159 3.2 but have owned one before and although capable it is not a hugely quick car. The stats on the 130i on the otherhand!

Supply and demand?

How many R32s were sold new? It's a bit like the Passat W8, and Clarkson opined about the 166 in his eulogy?
That's true although there are quite a few for sale...just at the wrong price :lol:

·
Vendor
46,243 Posts
I'm just a tiny bit tempted by both....and that is only because there isn't a fast Alfa with 4 doors (156 GTA aside but not keen on the 156 styling).
Go drive one, you'll love it.

Even if you don't, you'll probably only have it a few months before chopping it in for a diesel anyway :lol:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
always had a soft spot for R32 golfs and would have a mk5, the 130 is tempting too but the R32 would be a little bit more exclusive, plus I have driven one and it made me :D

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I'm looking at 130i's at the moment. Probably going to change sometime in the summer if I can find the right car.
I have always considered 130is tbh, but I would be more inclined to go for a 530i as I like big cars, but if the price was right and it had leather and xenons it would be hard not to seriously consider one.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I quite like the idea of an r32 or a 130i, but I have a Gta and it's better, so I probably won't bother.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Buy my mx-5 for the commute and enjoy that - a lot cheaper!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Buy my mx-5 for the commute and enjoy that - a lot cheaper!
errrm no :lol: I think it would be too hard to sell the GTA, if I was going drop top it would be a Z4 or S2000, something with a bit of poke :D Although the MX5 would probably be much cheaper lol Andrew would suit an MX5 I have been trying to get him to get rid of his Mondeo as I hate the thing lol

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
You don't need to sell the Gta for my mx5, it's a 93 eunos roadster, so you only need £795 (ovno)! As for running costs, it's cost me less than my fiat UNO to run.

I have to be honest, if I could afford three cars, there's no way i'd sell the mx5. Damn road tax and having to insure each car individually.

·
Registered
38,440 Posts
I like the idea of the 130i, small car lots of power and RWD, but I really couldn't live with the styling.

My money would go on a 330Ci with a manual box.

I haven't driven the Golf so I cannot comment, but looks wise it is pretty similar to other sporty Golfs, so that may put me off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I looked at a 130 - really nice car to drive the looks hm - ended up with a z4 coupe - same 3 ltr engine, loved the looks, (so I had to give up 2 seats and pay extra for same performance) - the economy was excellent averaged about 34mpg - at the same time a friend had a tt 3.2 he averaged 24mpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Go drive one, you'll love it.

Even if you don't, you'll probably only have it a few months before chopping it in for a diesel anyway :lol:
Oh no...don't want another diesel. The ****er I have now is very fast but I really miss 7500 rpm :lol:

I like the idea of the 130i, small car lots of power and RWD, but I really couldn't live with the styling.
I must agree. The styling is the only think putting me off. Looked a 330's as well but they are all much higher mileage. I will say though that there is a black 130 for sale with a spoiler and it looks ok. All the rest seem to be spoiler-less and in main 'le mans blue'

p.s beggars banquet...after the record label I presume? Bought lots of early Charlatans records off the label back in the very early 90's

I looked at a 130 - really nice car to drive the looks hm - ended up with a z4 coupe - same 3 ltr engine, loved the looks, (so I had to give up 2 seats and pay extra for same performance) - the economy was excellent averaged about 34mpg - at the same time a friend had a tt 3.2 he averaged 24mpg
34mpg is amazing for a powerful petrol...makes the whole package very tempting. Would much prefer a Z4 but can't see the wife, baby, son and dog agreeing :lol:

·
Registered
77 Posts
One thing about the Z4 was bump steer and following contours of the road - never even thought about it until I bought the car. No such issues with the 1 series. As for fuel consumption I also had a 325 coupe - 33 mpg ave then a 120i 33 mpg (disapointed with that) - I purchased the 120 after the 325 and ended up with a smaller slower less economical car

1 - 20 of 20 Posts