·
Registered
38,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
38,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow - is that the one that was privately rebuilt?
I am pretty sure it is, as it's the only one still flying. ;)

It is one noisy aeroplane, it made our windows shake as it flew over low.

·
Registered
38,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have just seen it again, fying over, landing than taxying along the runway. I didn't have the camera this time. Apparently it is based at Brize Norton until sep 22nd, so I might get to see it a few more times yet. :cool:

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
There is a true story regarding the Vulcan, at the time when the first 'prototype' was being tested prior to full production. I can't remember the location, but anyway the Vulcan took off and conducted some quite low flying manouvres, taking in a number of major roads and towns on the way. Immediately 999 call centres were jambed as people frantically phoned in to say that an enormous alien spaceship was terrorising the area, all traffic stopped and people were generally dumb-struck by this awesome piece of 50s engineering.

I had the pleasure of working with some of the technicians in Saudi Arabia, who had previously maintained the Vulcan when working in the RAF. They all said it was their greatest pride and achievement to work on this beast.

Oh, and the Russians were scared of the Vulcan as well, terrified they were, the best piece of deterrence Great Britain ever produced.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
In 1973, two Vulcans with three Jaguar fighters in attendance flew over my house at very low altitude. It was the most frightening and awe-inspiring experience I have ever encountered.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Have to use my Lakenheath/Mildenhall Decals as my Avatar next, maybe? Great times up there, last time I saw the 'Hell Bat' flying.:(:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
It had a clutch of babies in the 'Javelins', didn't it??:lol::D My centre page Eagle comic spreads are worth a bob or two now!:D

A

·
0 Posts
Anyone who is impressed,entertained or interested by powerful machines and has never seen a Vulcan fly must put it on their list of things to do. Once seen, never forgotten.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Agreed AF,:): What with that, and the 'Blue Streak' testing at the back of our house, back in the sixties, my brother and I became noise freak addicts. Loved those ground shaking days of old.:D

·
Registered
644 Posts
There's one at an aircraft museum only ten minutes walk from my house but its flying days are well and truly behind it.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts