Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

So the purists out there will hate me but I'm running a 2.4jtd 10v which I've remapped and got a stage 3 clutch in there. But I'm just concerned about my turbo. Running extra power/boost and having no way to stop all that air being forced back into my turbo.

So I'm going to put a blow off valve in, just I can't decide wether to go VTA or recirc, suggestions?

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Why put a blow-off valve on a Diesel..... it doesn't have a throttle butterfly...!

Reactions: dgmayhead and jwq

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My thought process was to try to stop extra extra stress on the turbo, I know that there's not a throttle as such on a diesel but there must be some pressure build up when letting off the acceleration, no?

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
My thought process was to try to stop extra extra stress on the turbo, I know that there's not a throttle as such on a diesel but there must be some pressure build up when letting off the acceleration, no?
On a Petrol turbo, when you close the throttle there is suddenly a barrier blocking the turbocharged air which then gets deflected back to the turbo causing the turbo to stall. So you install a dump valve to prevent that.

On a Diesel, with no throttle valve, the problem doesn't exist.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My apologies for time wasting, my thought process was rather incorrect it seems

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
My apologies for time wasting, my thought process was rather incorrect it seems
Don't worry, you won't be the last!
It has come up before and will again.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While we are on the subject of turbos and such, which is better manual boost controller or electric boost controller?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts