Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering, toward the end of the year I'll have about £5000 to buy a 'Keeper' with. (Keeper: A car that Darren156 might actually hang onto)

Now then, I adore classic cars, but hate the fact they're so damn slow!

The Volvo P1800 is a brilliant looking car, I love it to bits, but 0-60 MPH of 13 seconds and top speed of 118MPH isn't great. In fact it's crap. But then I suppose that's just how all old cars are.... Fair enough....

But, how do you make them not so slow?

Could I, for example, buy a nice P1800 and drop a fat 3.2 GTA engine in there, kicking out 250BHP, or would that just not work?

Explanations of engine swaps with classic cars with modern engines would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
Darren

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Take the proverbial bull by the horns and just do it. Worry about such things later. :D

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
and you ruin a classic P1800 whilst you are doing it whilst not having a working car for many a year ;)
A friend is putting a 1970's 4.4 V8 out of the Leyland P76 with Fuel injection into a Rover P6....He had the motor in his 1986 Range Rover and it really went fast.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But, how do you make them not so slow?

You save up lots of pennies, and you send it to an experienced, highly regarded, professional firm to do the work.

Taking on such an ambitious project is asking for trouble matey (although I'm always open for being proved wrong if you're really into the idea, and I'll wish you all the best with it)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah. sod it, the idea's a bag of shyte, close this thread down, :lol:

Thanks for the help dudes!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The P1800 was like nothing else over here from that era though, it's the only classic that I can think of that was so huge!!! Sure, the Brits love their Triumph's and MG's, but the P1800 was humongous in comparison.

Sadly though, it had a little diddly 1800cc lump, :cry:

If only the yanks could have thrown an engine in there, then it would have been complete, and called the Volvo P5700 instead, :lol:

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
i'd be inclined to drop an 850 T5 engine into the P1800, as i believe in keeping engine and car from the same company (my old Rover V8 powered 1967 Cortina mk2 not withstanding.)

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
What higher hp engines will easily swap into my 1966 volvo p1800? - Yahoo! Answers
Best answer...
I have a friend that sells supercharger kits, stroker kits and Ford Mustang transmission adapter kits for the P1800.
He has been racing P1800's for many years and has developed a lot of performance parts for the P1800. here is a link to his website.
http://v-performance.com/
He will double you stock HP at the minimum.
Source(s):
http://swedishautoinc.com/

and another from this site.
There are many possibilities but none are easy. A popular one is a later 240 or 740 OHC engine (B230F or similar). Just about any swap is going to require lots of sheet metal work, especially the transmission tunnel and firewall.
The stock B18 engine has plenty of potential to generate more horsepower with alot less sweat and expense

·
Registered
8,063 Posts

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Get on a decent custom car site matey. Disregard the horrendous garish rubbish, and look at some of the more sensible options displayed?

OK this wouldn't suit you, but we had a chap in our custom car club back in the seventies, with a Viscount, who had slipped a 4.2 XK type motor into its bay with the transmission as well, and fitted the Jag irs axle to it . Not too sure of the suspension/brake mods, but he enjoyed driving it.:):

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
With that model Volvo almost repeated a version of the then Ford five main bearing crank, as a power unit iirc? May have been in the Amazon as well, not really sure?:confused:

·
Registered
356 Posts
the engine best suited for a swap would be a 740 turbo engine, this is a traditional rwd set up and easily, and cheaply modded, too over 200hp..im sure there is a site for thses engines...turbobrick or redbrick or summat??...

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
The estate was the p1800 ES, not really an estate more of a sports shoting brake like the Reliant Scimitar or Lancia HPE. The ES was much rarer than the coupe and about 5 times more coupes were manufactured than ESs.

RSK
The 1800ES had a 2 litre fuel injected engine but still wasn't a fast car.

A Scimitar 3 litre would be better.

Why not go a bit more modern with a GTV6?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the idea but I wouldn't fit a GTA engine if I was doing it, I'd go Swedish. Saab 9000 turbo or Volvo turbo.

TurboBricks | High Performance Volvo Club is the site for Volvo turbo tuning.

One of the guys who writes in Practical Performance Car made a start on putting a T5 in a Volvo P1800 but sold it unfinished. There was a RWD Volvo 'box it bolted to.

The Saab and volvo 740/940 turbo lumps can be tuned to give lots of power really cheaply. You can buy entire running cars for well under a grand.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
i'd be inclined to drop an 850 T5 engine into the P1800, as i believe in keeping engine and car from the same company (my old Rover V8 powered 1967 Cortina mk2 not withstanding.)
What phil said, isn't the new ford re engine supplied by volvo?

·
Registered
807 Posts
why not get a alfa 105 series coupe, with a 2 litre Nord engine they are good for 0-60 in 9 seconds which I believe is plenty fast enough for rest of 1960's technology

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
:lol: Keeper !!!! :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts