·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want one, but how fooking expensive are they?! :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
My sis and B-I-L have just got a new A Class, its a 220 (with 170BHP) and quite a few options (it was in stock) for around £30k...!

And people moan that Giuliettas are expensive

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
SEAT maybe. Škoda never.
Škoda is the only Volkswagen brand I'd feel happy about buying - they're producing the kind of quality VW used to when VW's products still lived up to their reputation.

·
Registered
38,437 Posts
After my Golf I feel no real urge to go out and buy a newer version.

I would be tempted with the Skoda equivalent though, simply because they are better value.

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Škoda is the only Volkswagen brand I'd feel happy about buying - they're producing the kind of quality VW used to when VW's products still lived up to their reputation.
My Skooter Rapid (sic) hire car is pretty good.. :) It's a 1.2 turbo with 105bhp.. :D but it drives more like a diesel (boosts well until 3000 rpm then gets very gruff that I've been afraid to take it any further.. :D)

But even that was a £17k bit of kit.. :eek: It's not toooooo shocking but if I'd had to put a price tag on it before I looked it up on the configurator, I'd have gone for £15k.

Having said that, without the few neat options on it, it probably would cost a grand less..

Skoda = Okay. VW = Rubbish. :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I find VAG products really depressing, I looked at an A1 when I was changing the MiTo and I just couldnt do it!!!

I know its a rubbish excuse but they really dont interest me, unless your spending a fortune!!

·
Vendor
46,242 Posts
I assume the gtd has the same suspension set up as the gti?
Basically yes. They've just shortened the name, they've been doing the GTI chassis/suspension on the top of the range diesels since the days of the Mk4 but they used to call it GT TDI. Now its GTD. My Mrs has a Mk5 GT TDI and its ok but was 2 to 3 times the price of an equivalent 156 sportwagon with the same age, spec & mileage and while it has been mechanically reliable it has been niggly, which would have frustrated me less on a car that wasn't so horrifically expensive.

·
Registered
38,437 Posts
My Skooter Rapid (sic) hire car is pretty good.. :) It's a 1.2 turbo with 105bhp.. :D but it drives more like a diesel (boosts well until 3000 rpm then gets very gruff that I've been afraid to take it any further.. :D)

But even that was a £17k bit of kit.. :eek: It's not toooooo shocking but if I'd had to put a price tag on it before I looked it up on the configurator, I'd have gone for £15k.

Having said that, without the few neat options on it, it probably would cost a grand less..

Skoda = Okay. VW = Rubbish. :D

Ralf S.
My Dad had a Rapid as a courtesy car whilst his Merc was being fixed. it was a 1.6 Diesel with 100bhp IIRC.

It was a brilliant little car. Not massively fast, but acceptably so and it did nearly 70mpg.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am (possibly) the only one on here to own a Rapid. As a car, it does everything it needs to pretty well. It has loads of room, a huge boot - which I need, is quick enough and impressively economical. However, it is built down to a price and it remains a mystery to me how easily the front loses grip on 215 tyres. Maybe I shouldnt drive it like I did my Alfas?

After all's said and done, it is a competent appliance - but with no soul.

Dont get me started on the dealers though. Skoda might have a good rep, but this obviously doesnt apply when VW is at the same franchise!:tut:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
this obviously doesnt apply when VW is at the same franchise!
They cancel each other out, I think. The last "Driver Power" survey had VW next to last (or third from last, but bottom three), and Skoda in 2nd place.

·
Registered
36,013 Posts
It's expectations easily reached. Last time I drove a Rabid I found it ok . Thats once I'd lowered the hopes for brakes as good as I'm accustomed to. Pretty soulless but most people don't want or expect more.

·
Registered
38,437 Posts
I am (possibly) the only one on here to own a Rapid. As a car, it does everything it needs to pretty well. It has loads of room, a huge boot - which I need, is quick enough and impressively economical. However, it is built down to a price and it remains a mystery to me how easily the front loses grip on 215 tyres. Maybe I shouldnt drive it like I did my Alfas?

Dont get me started on the dealers though. Skoda might have a good rep, but this obviously doesnt apply when VW is at the same franchise!:tut:
The one I drove had Dunlop SportMax RT tyres on the front, it gripped really well I thought.

They do have the old fashioned beam axle at the back though like on a Mk3/Mk4 Golf which is a bit of a cheap compromise.

·
Vendor
46,242 Posts

Whats the difference between a Rapid and an Octavia? They look very similar to me.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Well, the Mk7 Golf has an old-fashioned beam axle on the back unless you specify an engine above 120 bhp.

Octavia (Jetta-sized) is bigger than Rapid (between Polo and Golf)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts