Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, can't be arsed faffing with home 'putwrs these days and the Vista ( :eek: ) box is waaaayyyyyy out of date. Can't get AVG to update, or even start, and IE keeps crashing out with DEP messages.

Not currently in a position to wield a fire axe so an online/downloadable/bootable scanner would be much appreciated :D

Don't bother telling me it doesn't happen on your Mac or I'll claw your nads.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Long story short, can't be arsed faffing with home 'putwrs these days and the Vista ( :eek: ) box is waaaayyyyyy out of date. Can't get AVG to update, or even start, and IE keeps crashing out with DEP messages.

Not currently in a position to wield a fire axe so an online/downloadable/bootable scanner would be much appreciated :D

Don't bother telling me it doesn't happen on your Mac or I'll claw your nads.
I've got the same issues with DEP closing IE, It's doing my head in. Anybody got a sensible solution?

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Why didn't you update your Vista box to Windows 7 for free? Decent speed increase. not sure that update is still available but Windows 10 update is on the way.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
There are several options that may be viable:

Firefox - But this would include lots of potential lock ups under Windows. The fundamental problm with Windows and Firefox under Windows is that they must protect themselves from sad little boy, I mentioned this in my own Firefox rant thread.

Linux Dual Boot - Ubuntu is a good system, but don't be fooled into thinking it updates less than Windows. Firefox runs much smoother I find on Ubuntu. You could also try Linux Mint, a very clean and sharp operating system indeed. Red Hat derivatives are also a good systems and are much more 'stable' than Ubuntu, but expect a severe lag with software updates under this distribution.

Chrome - Good and fast, but annoyingly 'Google' I find.

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Was the Vista to 7 update ever free? From memory they just offered a low introductory price for a few months.
Memory failure. Was still worth the upgrade. Vista was a dog.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Have you tried turning DEP off in IE?

I remember upgrading our company from IE 6 to IE 8 on XP and we had to switch it off. If I remember it's something like Internet Options / Advanced / enable memory protection. This is the option which is really DEP so you can try it off.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Is it safe to do that?
Microsoft wouldn't recommend it, but we've not seen any issues with doing it on over 8000 devices. However, we had up to date anti virus on the majority of them.

You aren't disabling DEP on the operating system, just on IE.

These kinds of issues are often caused by a piece of software being installed which IE doesn't like or has been mentioned, an IE addin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts