Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi all, i am onur from ankara, turkey. on january,2015 i reached my dreams by owning an alfa 159.It's 1.9jtdm 150hp,produced on august 2007. I have done a lot of renovation as to today both mechanical and looking mean.
these are the first pictures when i bought the 159 last year ;

it was 132k kms and in a short while after buying, i made changed the clutch set, doubleflywheel as well as clean swirl flaps, egr etc. and renew all liquids. also i solved some minor problems thanks to alfaowners.
after maintaining good condition in mechanical manner,i face the interior and exterior deficiensies. outer renovations contain; matte chrome mirror cap, shark antenna,llumar window tint, zender side skirts, second exhaust pipe, 18 replica ti rims and some little stickers.

interior renewals contain; ti steering wheel, aluminium pedal set, alfa floor mat, hand brake and shifting leathers with red stitch

meanwhile i repair some worn parts, such as rear climate panel and glovebox

now i am planing to buy original 19 ti rims and eibach prokit(3.5cm) springs but i worry about using stock shocks. has anybody got an idea about this?
also a confusing staff for me; my car produced in 2007 and there is no information about using 19 rims in handbook. i think 19 ti rims came to 2009 and later. is there a problem to use 19 rims for my car ? because as i said no info about 19 rims and after lowering car i should set new camber settings such as its 159 ti version, but there is only one camber setting option in handbook , not includes ti camber setting. what should i do ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
She looks great. Ti rims will be fine, shouldn't a problem running OEM shocks with the eibachs either, but with the distance your car has done they will be tired, strongly suggest fitting new shocks, the b4 bilsteins are a great fit with the eibachs (slightly stiffer but not much), my suspension is much better and no longer get the 'crashing' over bumps, look at Alfisti.net are very cheap for springs and shocks.
In terms of camber, don't believe there is a difference, but do a full alignment after you fit the new suspension.

http://shop.alfisti.net/Tuning-Styling/Alfa-159/Suspensions:::1_315_321.html

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She looks great. Ti rims will be fine, shouldn't a problem running OEM shocks with the eibachs either, but with the distance your car has done they will be tired, strongly suggest fitting new shocks, the b4 bilsteins are a great fit with the eibachs (slightly stiffer but not much), my suspension is much better and no longer get the 'crashing' over bumps, look at Alfisti.net are very cheap for springs and shocks.

http://shop.alfisti.net/Tuning-Styling/Alfa-159/Suspensions:::1_315_321.html

thank you fellow.
maybe i can renew my oem shocks and use eibach with new oem shocks. bilstein is cheaper than oem but i think b4 shocks will not as comfort as oem shocks. am i right ?

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I prefer the b4 to oEM, they are roughly the same (the b8 are the stiffer ones) in terms of hardness, but seem to have less roll and deal with bumps better.
Also remember the bilsteins were designed to Complement the eibachs.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Wow, you must have some money laying around to do those sorts of mods!

Nice job, you've done pretty much everything I intend to do at some stage in my lifetime ;p

I'm just happy to have the car atm, I'll keep building her up as I go, so long as I don't scratch the bumper again and set me back to square one.

Looks really nice though francobaresi, inspirational work.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Man how did you manage to polish engine bay :)

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man how did you manage to polish engine bay :)

first i cleaned the engine bay with 'meguiars super degreaser ' and water ( close the ecu with a waterproof pouch) then left it for drying. in the last and magical stage i applied '3m engine and tire dressing'
the result is incredible;

·
Registered
387 Posts
3m engine and tyre dressing?
What's that?
Nice pics mate

·
Registered
625 Posts
replica 18"?

that exists?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
replica 18"?

that exists?

yes, but i have an idea on my mind , swap replicas with 19" original ti because tis seem small owing to rims shape. not bad but 19"ti looks much more nice i think.
unfortunately, I'll loss comfort somewhat after 19 rims , it is an inevitable situation. maybe using soft tyres such as goodyear eagle f1 assymetric should reduce comfort loss

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
replica 18"?

that exists?
Covered a few times, WSP alloys do them, called Cannes I believe. Veloces certainly sell them but others may be cheaper.

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Swirl flaps should be removed, especially if you have plastic intake manifold(which i think you have in aug 2007 car), to avoid risk they will fell into cylinder and wreck your engine

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Swirl flaps should be removed, especially if you have plastic intake manifold(which i think you have in aug 2007 car), to avoid risk they will fell into cylinder and wreck your engine

my intake manifold is plastic. i read some negative things about aluminium one but i understand swirl flaps is a risk for plastic intake manifold as well,am i right?

·
Registered
948 Posts
my intake manifold is plastic. i read some negative things about aluminium one but i understand swirl flaps is a risk for plastic intake manifold as well,am i right?

Aluminium ones only loose seal and when swirl flaps stop rotating smoothly the metal rail which interconnects all just fall leaving flaps in random position(except the one on cyl 3 whixh is driven directly by motor). Once you have alu manifold out it is easy to remove flaps with axis and just weld holes (i had exactly all that in my former 159jtdm). With plastic manifolds there is risk that when flaps no longer rotate smoothly(because of all dirt etc) flap may fall into manifold as far as i read. I heard that people either change to modified alu manifold, or modify plastic ones by removing only flaps(but i think leave axis). Im sure you can find more info in different threads on AO.

But no panic, if you have your current manifold cleaned, and egr blanked(or did you just cleaned it?) , you should be safe for longer while.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Aluminium ones only loose seal and when swirl flaps stop rotating smoothly the metal rail which interconnects all just fall leaving flaps in random position(except the one on cyl 3 whixh is driven directly by motor). Once you have alu manifold out it is easy to remove flaps with axis and just weld holes (i had exactly all that in my former 159jtdm). With plastic manifolds there is risk that when flaps no longer rotate smoothly(because of all dirt etc) flap may fall into manifold as far as i read. I heard that people either change to modified alu manifold, or modify plastic ones by removing only flaps(but i think leave axis). Im sure you can find more info in different threads on AO.

But no panic, if you have your current manifold cleaned, and egr blanked(or did you just cleaned it?) , you should be safe for longer while.

fellow, after reading your message i fell into a panic and started to read every threads about swirl flaps i called different services but no one can do swirl flaps delete.
my egr just cleaned not blanked. within next days i'll go to an alfa servise to check my inlet manifold. if all flaps are in their hole, i'll give a gift to the car , 19 ti rims
i don't know what will i do if some flaps couldn't find in their hole.

·
Registered
948 Posts
fellow, after reading your message i fell into a panic and started to read every threads about swirl flaps i called different services but no one can do swirl flaps delete.
my egr just cleaned not blanked. within next days i'll go to an alfa servise to check my inlet manifold. if all flaps are in their hole, i'll give a gift to the car , 19 ti rims
i don't know what will i do if some flaps couldn't find in their hole.

I wouldn't panic, swirl flap getting into cylinder happens with plastic manifolds but still is quite rare - there were a few cases mentioned on polish Alfa forum over years, and so there is generic advice there to sort that out. Though, since you said you cleaned swirl flaps, you probably very highly minimized probability of such problem at lest for another 50kkm or something, even if you didn't blank EGR. If you want to leave swirl flaps and do a lot of km option worth to consider is to blank EGR - at least in Poland you can buy ready blanking piece/pad (not sure how to call that), if not where you live you can do such yourself from metal sheet (thin stainless steel I guess). If you blank it physically, somebody who is capable of doing ECU reprogramming must disable EGR from ECU (not sure how much is that where you live, in Poland I payed like EUR25 extra on top of ECU tunning/mod I did in the same time), otherwise immediately check-engine light will pop up. If you blank EGR then you at least stop the dirt back collecting inside intake manifold, so swirl flaps should be happy.

Removing EGR disadvantage is that engine warms up bit longer, but advantage is that EGR won't ever be an issue (again blocking itself earlier or later).

Alternative is to leave EGR, but remove swirl flaps or change to alu manifold with these removed and holes welded. E.g. the same engine in Fiat Stilo (140BHP) does not have swirl flaps, probably similar case with 156 and other FCA cars manufactured just before 159, not sure though if intake is compatible, or if you need to consider only updated of one from 159.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts