Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, is anybody else here using the Virgin Media Superhub, especially for online gaming, i find the wireless signal is rubbish i admit i'm on the opposite side of the house from it but sometimes the PS3 is barely even registering 45% signal strength and i find i get kicked from games all the time when playing things like Fifa or Call Of Duty and it's mega frustrating, does anybody know of anything that could be used to boost the wireless signal we're on 60mb broadband on the pc downstairs we get more or less that speed most of the time but upstairs i'm lucky if i get 8 or 9

M

·
0 Posts
Same package and router here.

60 Mbit package is rubbish - never had more than half of that here.
Router has always been unreliable. The wireless signal was so poor that my daughter couldn't use it at all even in the same room. I regularly get booted off the internet connection and I'm using a wired connection to the router. I've made one service call and it's been a bit better but on the whole it's a piece of junk - perhaps surprising as I had previously rated Netgear stuff. Hell the thing didn't even come with a manual when the technician installed it a few months ago.

I think the best bet for you is to use another wireless router if you have one and reduce the role of the "superhub" to that of a cable modem. You can configure it as such though I haven't done so: just switched off the wireless bit and linked it to my other router (also netgear but never a problem).

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Virgin are about to "upgrade" my cable modem and router with a not so SuperHub. The VirginMedia forums are full of people turning their SuperHubs into modem only mode. I've already bought a decent dual band router and am already using that and won't even try the wireless on the SuperHub when it shows up.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Virgin are about to "upgrade" my cable modem and router with a not so SuperHub. The VirginMedia forums are full of people turning their SuperHubs into modem only mode. I've already bought a decent dual band router and am already using that and won't even try the wireless on the SuperHub when it shows up.
Don't get it. It truly has a woeful wireless signal even just a few feet away. I would have my old modem back in a heartbeat given half a chance.

I use it to stream music to my network player which was downstairs almost directly below the unit and the constant signal drop out really was a PITA. In fairness to VM after threatening to leave they supplied me with a new router and all is now well (signal levels gone up from 40-45% to 80-95%) - but as I pointed out this defeats the object of having the dooferhub . . . .

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Never ever used the wireless way with our xbox 360....just bought an extra long,60ft,internet lead...cheap as chips on eBay and stayed the wired route......dinosaur technology but never let us down.:thumbs:

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
+1 on that, have the Superhub on 120mbs but only use the wireless for web browsing and printing, all the games consoles and music streamers are wired in and never get any problems with them, my son constantly has online games and youtube or Zune running together and never falters.

·
Premium Member
77,068 Posts
+1 on that, have the Superhub on 120mbs but only use the wireless for web browsing and printing, all the games consoles and music streamers are wired in and never get any problems with them, my son constantly has online games and youtube or Zune running together and never falters.

I've got the blu-ray, xbox and wii hard wired, and like you it's just the lappy/printer that uses the wireless. I can't believe the Virgin bumf that has it on shelves and things - it's like blackpool illuminations.

I've whacked tape all over it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts