Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Coming to the end of my loyalty bonus...so time to ring Virgin for a hopefully decent renewal.

Even though I rang the retentions I got through to the foreign call centre.

Told them my story.....paying £59 per month at the moment.....and that's with the £9 loyalty bonus.....any chance of matching that this year.....thinking of leaving..

Nope....not a sausage.....next bill will be £72......no loyalty bonus this time....zip...nothing for a 15 year Virgin Media veteran :(

So I did what I said I would never do.......just told them I was leaving and to terminate my account.

The call handler said she was sorry I was leaving and said she would put me through to the termination team......fair enough.

Heard stories about how they would go through the motions of starting the termination process and then you would get lots of calls from retentions trying to win you back.

Not this time......lovely lady from Scotland....I know,technically foreign but a fellow Celt ;)....she dropped the price from £72 per month to £52 per month....that's cheaper than I was paying..

Result !!!! (y)

·
Administrator
86,646 Posts
Result (y)
I almost always get a deal from Sky when my current deal runs out, if you don't ask you don't get.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Thanks for that. My contract comes up for renewal in June and I suspected it would need the nuclear threat again to get anywhere. Why will they not consider customer loyalty? After all there are regular surveys and they ask would you recommend us to family or friends. Answer "why should I when you do nothing for the loyal customer"
I got an online notification this week that they had increased the speed from 50Mbps to 100Mbps. I did not request it so presumably an across the board increase which they will use as an excuse for increasing the price come renewal. Well if the only way to keep the price down is to drop back then they can change it back again. I do not need 100Mbps to access this forum, deal with emails and pay a few bills online. In fact sitting here at some distance from the modem a speed test shows 7Mpbs and it is not a problem. Why should I pay extra for something I do not need?

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
I was recently paying 56.50, the customer service guy from india told me he would give me 50p off a month, and that it was a good deal, went through the rigmarole of I want to leave and the best I could get was 6 quid off, better than nothing I guess. I did argue I didn't need the upgraded broadband, but he pointed out how much we were using on netflix etc and it kind of twisted my arm to stay with them for this year anyway.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Agreed, we've been with Sky ever since we moved in together in our first house.
When ever part of our package is coming of a deal, we ring up to cancel it....always get some kind of discount!

As you say, don't ask you don't get!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
Threatening to cancel has always worked for me. As has being fucking cheeky. When they ask if a £35 activation fee for a new whatever box is ok I always say "not really, I'd rather not pay that".

·
Premium Member
77,205 Posts
I quit Sky last year. I haggled. They refused. We parted.

I've had a email from Sky, offering £30/month for footy, films and an extra £1 gets box sets.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
In a similar way but with TalkTalk although no price increase for duration of contract they don't make it apparent that boosts are not subject to that restriction and one boost went up by £5, not a lot but I found that unacceptable. Using web chat I pointed it out and cancelled my anytime calls boost. Left it for 6 hours and accessed web chat again, this time a different agent and I said I would keep the boost but needed to confirm when my contract ran out. Result was I was offered the £12 boost for £0.00 for 18 months. Don't ask, don't get. Ask and get, mostly. Shame I've not had the same luck with women!

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
I try not to do business with organisations that you have to call and haggle with, or threaten to leave. RAC tried it on one year and I phoned them to say I was off after about 30 years... they dropped the price in half virtually and didn't increase it for about 3 years after that... :D

More recently BT sent me a "free upgrade" Hub2 doodah. Their T's&C's say that when they issue a new order, you basically start a new 18 month contract with them. I didn't fancy that.

The online helpdesk geezer insists that the Hub2 is free. No charges to me.

That's fine.. but your T&C says I'll be in a new contract. I don't want a new contract, I reply.

No.. there's no new contract. He insists. It's free.

Have you read your T&Cs? I ask. Apparently he has not. But I "have" to have it, since BT is upgrading their system to fibre and my old Hub will no longer work.

Ah.. now I understand. But I said if it no longer works I'll send it back. And the Hub2. :D

He said, no need.. you can just keep it.

But I don't want it cluttering up my spare room. Anyway if I keep it, I'm accepting the order. I'll be locked in to BT for 18 months.

No you won't...

Yes, I will.

BT supervisor phones me up.. (repeat all of the above). It's not an order so it doesn't activate the T&Cs.

It says "My order..." on the letter/emails BT sent.. I says. I can't argue later that someone whose name I won't remember told me it wasn't an order, when everything written down says it is. T&Cs apply.

It's not the intention she says. They're upgrading to fibre so I will need a new hub.

That's not really my problem I says. If it doesn't affect my contract, it ought to say so. She'll get back to me.

Next day, general email from BT to all Hub2 upgraders: . "It's free of charge and will not affect your current contract or contract period".

Okay.. I'll have it.. :D

Hub2 doesn't arrive on the day scheduled.

Do I ring up BT and ask where's my Hub2? Not sure if they would think i was taking the pi*ss.. :D

Hub2 arrves the next day, so spares me that call.. :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
I try not to do business with organisations that you have to call and haggle with, or threaten to leave. RAC tried it on one year and I phoned them to say I was off after about 30 years... they dropped the price in half virtually and didn't increase it for about 3 years after that... :D
Problem is the situation is almost universal these days. On occasion I do get as far as getting the discount and then ask why I didn't get it in the first place and say they've lost their chance. Green Flag in the early days doubled my sub but would then halve it when I 'phoned, I told them they should've kept it the same as before and I'd go elsewhere. Probably still goes on, so ok they've lost a customer but the vast majority accept the increases without question.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Phoned Virgin to say I was looking at changing to Sky. My house has 3 TVs and four motor racing enthusiasts. We're paying £98 per month for the max TV package but have lost Formulae One, Two and Three, and Indycar. To add them to Virgin would cost an extra £360 per annum.

It must be a reflection of my negotiating skills that he offered a package costing £2 a month more. He said I could have Sky Sports (inc all the racing), if I reduced my broadband speed from 200 mbps to 100 mbps.

I've said no, but what does everyone think about broadband speeds? I haven't honestly noticed a problem since we went from a stated 30 to a claimed 50. Three laptops and PCs access via wifi and see nothing like 30 anyway. One PC is ethernet cabled to the router, though.

Question: is the speed seen after wifi a proportion of the overall broadband speed? If I reduced the latter would it affect the former? Or does wifi take the first 25mbps or so, making any extra boadband speed irrelevant?

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
You could run a speed test on the pc with your phone connected to wifi only and run a speed test on that, would give you an idea I would have thought.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Yes, I do run speed tests, but the question really was: would a reduction in broadband speed down the fibre optic affect the end speed received via wifi?

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
My Virgin Media broadband has recently been upgraded from 50 to 100. I think, having done speed tests before and after that the WiFi is faster. Having said that the WiFi is very variable. For a reason connected to the original installation the router is in a small bedroom/study on the first floor. Downstairs directly under it the WiFi is much faster than in the adjacent room where the signal has had to pass through a 5 inch solid wall. As well, as you are aware, the speed is variable depending the number of laptops connected. Having said all that I don't notice any real difference just browsing the web and this forum but then I don't download videos or play heavy graphic based games.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
We do watch iPlayer, for example, via wifi and also a wired connection to the router, but don't play the heavy graphics games. Thank you for that take in the speeds. I'm not too inclinced to take a chance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts