Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As long as I have had my car, it has only had one rivet on its VIN plate. Doesn't bother me, but the MoT tester said a missing non-riveted VIN plate is an MoT failure.

The rivet that is left is black. Is there a way to get it fixed back that looks original.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
782 Posts
Did you challenge that? Doesn't it just need to be permanently present, complete and legible? I assume it has passed previous MoT's in this condition?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was more a conversation along the lines of what if it fell off.

He said getting a new VIN plate made is troublesome, and if the tester believes the plate has been removed or tampered with it will fail. I realise the sense, but I thought he was being a touch anal about the rivets should match.

That said he also failed the car first attempt because the sidelights weren't white enough!

Edit- just noticed it says permanently secured. A nut and bolt won't do.

Two part epoxy resin I reckon then.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Andy where did you take it??

I always use Scott at Bellamy autos always being very fair with me and will replace bulbs etc free of charge if that's all it fails on

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Andy where did you take it??

I always use Scott at Bellamy autos always being very fair with me and will replace bulbs etc free of charge if that's all it fails on
Concorde Auto Centre near the whopping big Tesco.

The guy initially failed it on 3 things, one of which was no one switch sidelight function. I had to demonstrate the little black button on the key barrel to turn sides on and remove the key.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
The standard fixings for a VIN plate aren't exactly permanent anyway....they are a two-part plastic thingy, easily removed. I can send you one in the post if you wish, though I agree that he's being an a**e ;)

As Jim Hazell points out, the VIN is stamped on the offside strut turret, so the tester's not being picky, he's incompetent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts