Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Thought I'd see what I could do about the fact that the car I have is (I am 99.9% certain) a 159 ti, but is registered as a Lusso. ( I don't think I'm alone in this...I've seen threads suggesting this was down to dealers mis registering at time of sale).

Anyway, putting my VIN into the FIAT EPER site and any other VIN checkers comes up with 'number not recognised'. One site said I had an incorrect check sum digit.

My registration document and under bonnet plate show the same number.

Should i be worried?

Cheers

Alf.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The check digit is in position 9 and can only be numbers 0 - 9 or the letter x

Be careful when dealing with the following sets of letters and numbers. They look similar:
S and 5
H and 8
G and 6
Z and 2
B and 8
D and 0
U and 4
Y and 4
M and N
U and V
F and S
T and P and B

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
The online Fiat Eper site is fairly old - it could well be that your 159 was manufactured after the date of the Eper issue. I've got a fairly recent copy of EPER - if you want to PM me the VIN I'll check it for you?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Dealer registrations are notoriously vague and often incorrect. My Spider was registered as a Coupe and never corrected.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice here, I hadn't realised the EPER thing was based on an old DVD database linked via the fiat forum....

Eventually I did find a (foreign I think) VIN checker which showed up the model (159) and year, and some code..

SW 1.8 T CF5 S.PLUS 6M 200 CV GD U.K.

Would the 'T' after the 1.8 be anything to do with ti? Or is it Turbo?

I'm trying to build a case so that I can contact DVLA and get the detail changed.

Cheers all....

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's the point of changing the V5, other than for vanity? If you sell it, it'll be as a Ti.
I suppose vanity, but also

a) if I were to want to sell it surely any potential buyer is going to say "that's a Lusso with a conversion kit" (admittedly I didn't do that when I bought it, I'm either quite knowledgeable on these things or a bit stupid...)

b) I've had to get my insurance company to change the car details as their system shows it as a Lusso. Do I want that conversation every time I change insurers?

c) 0.1% of me worries it is a Lusso with a conversion kit!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Ah, maybe. I don't think a buyer will care very much - if they query the V5, it's nothing a simple Google on the issue won't resolve. Insurance etc, maybe, but again consider what the average uninformed person would do, which is just leave it.

I just think you're going to have a huge hassle with getting the DVLA to change it, and for very little benefit.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
. Insurance etc, maybe, but again consider what the average uninformed person would do, which is just leave it.
I was going to ... indeed the general advice was leave it as a Lusso, the premium might be less....but then I wondered if it got stolen or written off, wouldn't the settlement value be less for a Lusso than a ti?

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Tried to reply to your PM, but your inbox is full. so publicly, the details are as follows - let me know if you want me to delete them...I've asterisked the last 3 digits of the VIN....

Eper shows it as follows:

Alfa Romeo » 159 » X8 159 MY11 (2010-2011) Current vehicle data: SINCOM: 140CWB351230 VIN: ZAR93900007280*** Vehic. n.: 07236656 Engine: 6558712 25/1/2011 Col. n.: 878 CC1.8 KW147 GDX TCSW CMBBZ LL2

VIN configuration ZAR93900007280***
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT 1742-1796 CC (CC1.8)
POWER 200 HP (KW147)
DRIVE RIGHT (GDX)
BODYWORK TYPE STATION WAGON (TCSW)
FUEL PETROL (CMBBZ)
EQUIPMENT LEVEL SPORT PLUS MANUAL (LL2)
DRIVE TYPE 2 WHEEL DRIVE (TT4X2)
ECOLOGY ECOLOGIC EUROPEAN NORM CF5 LIMITS (ECOCF5)
EQUIPMENT (MARKET) UK/EIRE (AM87)
EQUIPMENT (MARKET) AUSTRALIA (AM23)
MODEL YEAR YEAR 2009 (MY09)
NO. OF CYLINDERS 4 CYLINDERS (NC4)
TOTAL VALVES 16 VALVE (VLE16)
TURBO EXHAUST FAN TURBO (A/TTRB)
12v. DRIVE SOCKET Yes (823)
3 SEATER FRONT HEAD REST Yes (511)
6 INDIVIDUAL REAR SEATS Yes (947)
6-SPEED GEARBOX Yes (076)
AIR CON 2 Yes (140)
ALARM Yes (213)
CAR MANAUL - STANDARD OPTION 2 Yes (4RQ)
CAR RADIO EXTRA SERIES 2 Yes (717)
CRUISE CONTROL Yes (416)
ELECTRIC FOLDING DOOR MIRRORS Yes (341)
ELECTRIC REAR WINDOWS Yes (023)
ELECTROCHROMATIC OUTSIDE/INSIDE REARVIEW MIRRORS Yes (525)
ENGLISH LANGUAGE CUSTOMISED Yes (4FU)
FOGG DETECTION DEVICE Yes (385)
FRONT FOG LAMP Yes (097)
FRONT SEATS WITH TILTING Yes (44J)
HEATED FRONT SEATS Yes (452)
HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE PASSENGER SEAT Yes (454)
MANUAL ENGLISH LANGUAGE Yes (852)
MECHANICALLY CONTROLLED FRONT SEATS Yes (448)
METALLIC PAINT Yes (210)
MINISKIRTS Yes (926)
OPTION 5 ALLOY WHEELS (NO STUD CHAIN) Yes (435)
PACK CONVERGENCE C1 WITH MEDIA PLAYER CONNECTION Yes (4J3)
PAINTED EXTERNAL REARVIEW MIRRORS Yes (976)
PARTIAL CELLOPHANING Yes (928)
PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF Yes (4DK)
PEDALS EXTRA SERIES 1 Yes (4CS)
RAIN SENSOR Yes (347)
REAR PARKING SENSOR Yes (52B)
SATIN EXTERNAL REARVIEW MIRRORS Yes (4RR)
SILL BOARD Yes (018)
SMELL SENSOR (AQS) Yes (384)
SPARE WHEEL Yes (803)
SPECIFIC EXTRA SERIES ACRONYMS Yes (773)
SPECIFIC ROOF 1 Yes (4GS)
SPECIFIC ROOF RACK RAILS Yes (375)
SPLIT REAR SEAT Yes (195)
SPORT STEERING WHEEL Yes (321)
SPORT TRIM Yes (377)
TINTED WINDOWS Yes (070)
TRIP COMPUTER Yes (48F)
VARIAT. OF COST FOR CONVERGENCE C1 W/ MEDIA PLAYER PORT (OPT. 4J3) Yes (5VN)
VDC CONTROL Yes (392)
VEHICLE INITIALS EXCLUSION Yes (879)
List of colors/fabrics
BAGTP-600/G SLATE GREY BOOT
INTLM-687 SLATE GREY INTERIORS
PADTS-687/D SLATE GREY INNER ROOF
PANFP-822 NEW PHOBOS BLACK PANELS
SEDAL-809 BLACK LEATHER SEAT
TAPTP-600/F SLATE GREY PASS.COMPARTMENT FLOOR MAT

Does that seem right? - I'm seeing it as a 159 Wagon, 1750 Tbi - its showing various its of Sport trim as standard, but factory designation doesn't seem to be "Ti" - they call it "Sport plus manual".

Don't know if that makes it worth contacting DVLA - I'd doubt it. Just keep this spec as a record of its build, if it matters to you ;)

Regards

Richard

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow thanks Richard, what a lot of info, somehow I think I probably know too much now...

6 individual rear seats, miniskirts and a smell sensor!

But seriously, the use of the word 'sport' is key, as lusso's are luxury and ti's sport I think.

I think this and a few pictures will make a convincing case if/when I get round to contacting DVLA. Doubtless they'll have a 'scale of charges' for this sort of thing...but at the very least I now know my car exists!

Thanks again...

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Yeah - I was mildly confused about the 3 seat and 6 seat details, too......

I guess we need to check what is listed for a "genuine" Lusso to be sure on your point, but I don't have one.......;)

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Yeah - I was mildly confused about the 3 seat and 6 seat details, too......

I guess we need to check what is listed for a "genuine" Lusso to be sure on your point, but I don't have one.......;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts