Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving over a mountain pass near Lugano, we stopped for a bite and noticed a 1.8TS Phase 1 GTV on an Italian plate in the car park. Naturally we got talking to the guys and these are some of their thoughts I thought you might be interested in.

- The 916 is seen in Italy as one of the last iconic Alfas and a "real" Alfa even though built post-Fiat regime.
- Many 916s in Italy which are 250,000km + and still going strong.
- Regular quality oil changes and high octane fuel regarded as important when looking after the cars. We had a long long chat about the merits of 10w40 vs 5w40 vs 10w60. They seem to alternate viscosity with the weather running 5w40 in the winter in mountains and 10w60 at the height of the summer in South Italy. The oil of choice seems to be Motul 300v in all grades which does a 10w40 fully synth they tell me - I might give this a try. Has anyone used it?
- They have a lot of respect for UK and Dutch owners who they consider more passionate about the brand than most Italians of the current generation.
- Complete disdain for Marchionne and modern Alfa management. The delay of the new Giulia & SUV, hidden rear door handles on the Giulietta and the 159/Brera models took a particular bashing. They felt Alfa should be in the place now occupied by Audi (A1 vs Mito was discussed) but is in danger of becoming a European Honda (uggh)
- We had a toast or 2 to Arese, the 105 series, the V6 and TS engines. The new 1750 TB engine did get a grudging nod too.
- An interesting idea: with the success of the retro Mini, 500, VW Beetle, how about Alfa bringing out newly designed 4c, GTV and Giulia variants with retro inspired models being produced in parallel off the same platform and chasis. So the market gets a choice of a completely new model or a retro styled model of same spec. Great idea but dream on, I think...
- Which market sectors should Alfa be in? 3 coupés to compete with: Mazda MX5, Audi A5, BMW 6 series. 2 saloons to compete with BMW 3 and 5 series. A Giulietta with door handles, a revamped Mito. None with any Chrysler parts!

A good evening.

·
Registered
460 Posts
- The 916 is seen in Italy as one of the last iconic Alfas and a "real" Alfa even though built post-Fiat regime.
Generally true, it really depends on the people and i'm with them :D .. some though think anything after the 75 is not worth to be called an Alfa Romeo.

- Many 916s in Italy which are 250,000km + and still going strong.
Very true...

- They have a lot of respect for UK and Dutch owners who they consider more passionate about the brand than most Italians of the current generation.
Indeed, would double sign it at any time :D

- Complete disdain for Marchionne and modern Alfa management. The delay of the new Giulia & SUV, hidden rear door handles on the Giulietta and the 159/Brera models took a particular bashing. They felt Alfa should be in the place now occupied by Audi (A1 vs Mito was discussed) but is in danger of becoming a European Honda (uggh)
Confirmed...

- We had a toast or 2 to Arese, the 105 series, the V6 and TS engines. The new 1750 TB engine did get a grudging nod too.
From my experience (of a 1750 owner BTW), the 1750 is not so "approved".. it's not so much appreciated (i do like it much, btw).

Seems you had some fun :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts