Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I've had a problem with a squeaky wheel since i brought the car 18months ago, but it was extreamly intermittent until about a month ago, it more or less happens every journry now. I took it to kwikfit to get them to look at the problem and they told me the front pads + disks needed replaceing because they were corroded which was causeing them to rub on each other.

So natualry i didn't fancy paying them the £250 they quoted and got a friend whos a mechanic to fit some for 1/2 the price. He told me it wasn't even the front wheel but the O/S rear, and it problaly had some dirt in the disk. but i dont think it is as i had them replace 6months ago on the MOT and it happened before they were replaced too which seems a bit to much of a coincidence.

Anyway, i took a video last week and thought i'd post it here to give people a better idea of the problem.

alfa 156 squeak.wmv - YouTube

L

·
0 Posts
to determine is its a rear disc issue the next time you are driving & this noise happens gently pull the hand brake [ keeping the button pressed ] until yoou feel the pads biting a small bit. If the noise continues its not a rear brake issue. Now try gentley pressing the brake pedal, with your left foot, if the noise stops its a front disc issue.

I suspect that your hand brake cables are partially ceased & there causing the rear pads to drag on the rear discs. doesn't really sound like a bearing issue but its most noticeable on LEFT hand turns

L

·
0 Posts
also check the dust shields of all the discs, they could be badly rusted & therefore hitting the disc

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
is there any wear on rear disc as in a slight step on surface where pad doesnt contact disc ....i think your problem is the pad rubbing on this step not the face but the slight chamfer caused by wear if you understand me :thumbs:

·
Registered
186 Posts
i had exactly the same problem with mine sounded like there was something catching the disc. i had my wheels off more times than i could remember checking the calipers, back plaes, hoses and everything!! i ended up changing the rear discs and pads and there was a little lip on the discs.
still the problem continued so did the front as well.

anoying squeek had gone after doing the fronts.

best thing to do is change the discs and pads, but it is scary how that video bought back nightmares!!! i hated that sound

·
Registered
338 Posts
i have this exact same problem... just ordered new pads and disks for the rear from buypartsby.. cheers dave!

·
Registered
7 Posts
squeak wheel my alfa

Hello,I am from Romania,and i am glad i came across your forum.
I have the same problem as in the video,i change the all pads and disks now 1 year ago,and the car not too has been used just 120 km/week,the squeak noise appears when i been driving 30-40km about 20-25 min.
I raised the car,i gave down each wheel,i put in 3 gear to rolling the wheels,i go to every wheel,not suspect noise...clarify as i don t have game in the wheels,so i don t have problems with bearings.
I don t now what to do...

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Go for a drive and then touch each wheel with your hand. The front wheels should be warmer than the back. If any wheel is noticeably hotter the caliper is sticking. You might notice excess brake dust on the wheel too. An infrared thermometer is very useful for measuring the temperature of the discs directly.
The rear calipers tend to stick as the dust covers split as they twist with the hand brake. When new pads are put on and the caliper is wound back and this can damage the dust covers. With this design (which is very common) it is nearly impossible for the 10 year old rubber dust cover not to be perished and ineffective. To wind them back it is worth buying a dedicated tool which makes it easy. I don't think the rubber dust covers can be replaced. Check the sliders as well. They also have dust covers but last better because they don't twist. The carrier should move very easily.

I cured my squeak by pushing the piston out as far as I dared. Be careful it doesn't come out completely or you're in trouble. I put a block of wood in the way but if I had a friend to help it would have been easier. I then cleaned the piston surface with plus gas and wire wool. I repeated this a couple of times by winding them back in. I also cleaned the caliper with a dremmel so that the pads slotted in very easily unlike my first attempt where they were very tight in all that rust. All of this extra care and attention meant no sticking. In a garage you would just be advised to buy a new caliper. Don't forget to slacken the handbrake off during the above.
The reason they tend to get sticky with new pads and discs is the piston surface that had been exposed to the elements is now wound into the cylinder. It needs to be extremely clean to work properly.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Go for a drive and then touch each wheel with your hand. The front wheels should be warmer than the back. If any wheel is noticeably hotter the caliper is sticking. You might notice excess brake dust on the wheel too. An infrared thermometer is very useful for measuring the temperature of the discs directly.
The rear calipers tend to stick as the dust covers split as they twist with the hand brake. When new pads are put on and the caliper is wound back and this can damage the dust covers. With this design (which is very common) it is nearly impossible for the 10 year old rubber dust cover not to be perished and ineffective. To wind them back it is worth buying a dedicated tool which makes it easy. I don't think the rubber dust covers can be replaced. Check the sliders as well. They also have dust covers but last better because they don't twist. The carrier should move very easily.

I cured my squeak by pushing the piston out as far as I dared. Be careful it doesn't come out completely or you're in trouble. I put a block of wood in the way but if I had a friend to help it would have been easier. I then cleaned the piston surface with plus gas and wire wool. I repeated this a couple of times by winding them back in. I also cleaned the caliper with a dremmel so that the pads slotted in very easily unlike my first attempt where they were very tight in all that rust. All of this extra care and attention meant no sticking. In a garage you would just be advised to buy a new caliper. Don't forget to slacken the handbrake off during the above.
The reason they tend to get sticky with new pads and discs is the piston surface that had been exposed to the elements is now wound into the cylinder. It needs to be extremely clean to work properly.
Hope this helps.
Thank you,i tried to touch each wheel but is not hotter,i thought before maybe the cause is caliper,i heard as there is a kit for repair caliper and it is cheap.
The sound is disturbing so for me and so for others...
Thank you for the advice

1 - 9 of 9 Posts