Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I just got my left driveshaft and all the related cups changed this week and the lower turbo/air pipe. The dreaded vibration from the left side of the car has dissapeared. However I can still feel a vibration from the accelerator pedal and when moving above 80mph the vibration appears in the steering wheel as well.

By the end of a journey, my right leg feels strange!

Any ideas?

Tariq

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Hi

I just got my left driveshaft and all the related cups changed this week and the lower turbo/air pipe. The dreaded vibration from the left side of the car has dissapeared. However I can still feel a vibration from the accelerator pedal and when moving above 80mph the vibration appears in the steering wheel as well.

By the end of a journey, my right leg feels strange!

Any ideas?

Tariq
i would say first port of call would be to check the balancing on the wheels, pretty cheap to have done just take it to kwik fit, mr tyre or any local tyre or exhaust place,

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sounds like tracking to me. If it's not tracking your aloys might be buckled on the inside edges. This is especially likely if you've hit any big pot holes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have just had a 4 wheel laser alignment and have balanced the front left recently but will check the others (although they were done a few months ago)

I will check for buckled wheels and changing the right drive shaft

Tariq

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got my wheels balanced yesterday; the chaps at the garage said that my back two wheels are buckled although they did manage to balance it on the machine.

The drive does feel a bit better today; I took it to 120 and the vibrations were less but still noticeable.

I was thinking of getting the buckles fixed from Lepsons in Swindon. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I got my wheels balanced yesterday; the chaps at the garage said that my back two wheels are buckled although they did manage to balance it on the machine.

The drive does feel a bit better today; I took it to 120 and the vibrations were less but still noticeable.

I was thinking of getting the buckles fixed from Lepsons in Swindon. Any thoughts?
on a test track of course:tut::lol:

·
Registered
563 Posts
When balancing, did the garage put the buckled wheels on the back or were they there anyway?

Are the vibrations at specific speeds, does it do it whilst accelerating or just cruising, is it only in certain gears, speed related or rpm related?

Trying going around 1500rpm in top gear, floor it if it shakes around like a very shakey thing, it's likely to get the other driveshaft. If you jack up the car and take a look, you should be able to feel play in the shaft or if it's a split in your rubber boot, black grease will be everywhere.

After I'd done my driveshafts, the vibration was being caused by the balljoints in the steering rack wearing due to water getting in and washing out the grease. I'm in the process of sorting this out now.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
72 Posts

If they're buckled then you'd be best getting them repaired by a professional alloy wheel refurbisher. If they're only slightly buckled it should cost about £50 - £60 a wheel to fix. If you don't want the hassle of a repair you'd be best buying a couple of used alloys on ebay. It all depends how rare your alloys are.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts