Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people, i had this little metalic vibration ever since i bought my 156 ts 2.0L when the engine revs at 1950-2100rpm, and also when my a/c is on and the engine is on idle and revs those couple of revs lower, the vibration sound can be heard again. Today however after having used the car twice in the morning, i went to pick my girlfriend up from work and that little vibration sound sounded a hell of a lot louder. It sounds like some metal plate came lose completely, but i can't find the cause! I allowed the engine to cool down to a point where i could prod around with my fingers to feel for something lose, i had no luck still. I know where the sound is coming from i think, and as weird as this may sound i think the sound is coming out of the oil filter. In fact while i was under the car and my girlfriend was keeping the engine reving at 2000rpm, i put a screw driver against the oil filter and i felt the loud vibration through the screw driver.

I have removed the engine cover and looked under that, removed the manifold heat shield, maybe that thin piece of metal was vibrating against the maifold, but i found nothing there what so ever. I don't want to drive the car now, i'm scared it can be something serious even though the car runs just fine and as stupid as this may sound, i'm out of work at the moment and cannot afford to take it to the alfa garage.. Oh and before i forget, i think my oil filter is leaking slightly? It must be because i found a drop of oil at the very bottom of the seals. I can afford to change the oil and the filter, so if anyone thinks i should, please let me know.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
See my reply in your other post...

Its sounds like a broken exhaust support bracket, it sits behind the manifold, and hold the exhaust/manifold.
It gets corroded and broken if the exhaust hits a speed bump or the like...
Or if it was fitted under stress during manufacture, there are 2 types in use and if you can get the one with the flat top, it's alot stronger.

·
Registered
745 Posts
well i think it is your variator :)

only reason being is that i have lived with mine getting progressively worse over the past year and it got to a point now as you describe. mine has been reaaally loud now for about 4 months and it drives me a bit nuts.

does this sound familiar?

it got louder all of a sudden
everytime you go through about 2ooorpm you get a little rattle sound
sometimes it rattles and sometimes it doesn't but in certain circumstances it always rattles
start to get a rev flat spot between 3 - 4k rpm

thankfully i am booked in for a variator/belt change service in a couple of weeks so i can let you know my outcome.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

only reason being is that i have lived with mine getting progressively worse over the past year and it got to a point now as you describe. mine has been reaaally loud now for about 4 months and it drives me a bit nuts.

sometimes it rattles and sometimes it doesn't but in certain circumstances it always rattles

thankfully i am booked in for a variator/belt change service in a couple of weeks so i can let you know my outcome.
You might have a broken exhaust bracket!!! Aswell as a S**ged Variator

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See my reply in your other post...

Its sounds like a broken exhaust support bracket, it sits behind the manifold, and hold the exhaust/manifold.
It gets corroded and broken if the exhaust hits a speed bump or the like...

I'll have a look at it today, i did read your other post but since then i hadn't quite checked it well enough to be honest. Thanks again!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or if it was fitted under stress during manufacture, there are 2 types in use and if you can get the one with the flat top, it's alot stronger.
How can i tell which one is which though? Shall i ask the alfa garage about it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Hmm, from the sound of it you have had the same problem yeah. It is embarrassing to drive it around like that because they're very nice cars, but to have it sounding so stupid is a big pain. So where is this variator located then? i know i can't replace it myself but at least if i know what the problem is i can take the car to the garage to have it fixed without having to have the guys trouble shooting (not working at the moment and i'm broke!) And will it do the engine any harm to drive it around as it is? I use the car every single day but now that i heard this loud vibration i'm not risking driving it around.

Thanks for the help, it's been appreciated a lot.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fixed it guys! It turned out to be a small vertical bracket just above the bracket that joins the middle exhaust bit to the front manifold pipe. I had to drive the car onto a curb in reverse and on top of 2 bricks, then i had just enough access to crawl half way under the car and work with both hands. Oh and it turned out that the reason the noise got so louder was because the bolt that holds one side of the bracket came off completely, there was nothing there apart from the very lose bracket.

It was a bracket after all then Biffa. Thank you everyone, now i just need to give the car a nice wash!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts