Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Alfa owners,

We’re new to the Alfa World and last week I hit a pot hole which went with a bang. The rim was dented and this has been replaced along with 2 new tyres.

The steering wheel vibrates ferociously at speeds above 60 mph, more so on load in higher gears. At this point if the clutch is pressed the vibration disappears. So going steady or downhill at 60+ the vibration disappears.
The vibration seems to be coming from the right hand (driver side).
We took the car to a garage and they found a lot of play in the driver’s side drive shaft. Also the CV boot had been previously cable tied, with grease spilling out.

Simply put we have a quote for £450 for a drive shaft, and £475 labour.

If we knew this would cure the problem it wouldn’t seem so bad. But the garage admits this is only a starting point to remedy the cure.
Has anybody else had similar problems with the 147 JTD, can you possibly help, hopefully point us to another solution please? Can anyone recommend a UK drive shaft supplier please? (New or recon)

If the vibration is left for a while we remedy it (say 4 weeks) is it likely to do further damage to the car?

Is it possible the pot hole could have damaged the drive shaft?

Many thanks

Craig

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same issue, car kept vibrating everytime I pressed the accelerator on the motorway over 60. It was indeed the driveshaft and had it replaced under warranty.

I had to wait for authorisation to get the work done so i was driving the car around for a month, clocking up over 1000 miles. it progressively got worse but it didnt cause anymore damage.

You might be able to claim off your council for any damage caused by the pothole.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
parts are a little over the top, I did a price check and the inner joint is about £45 and outer about £75 and the time to do it cant be more labour than a clutch change!..... maybe its just me but that sounds steep

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
If there is play in the driveshaft it needs changing. It's stressing gearbox & wheel bearings and is an MOT fail. If it deteriorates further or a CV breaks up it can do a lot of damage, besides losing you drive at a potentially dangerous moment, eg overtaking or pulling out into traffic. On the other hand it may not get any worse for ages. There is no way to know.

The quote you've had seems appallingly expensive. There may be other damage from the pothole: wheel bearing/stub axle/hub damage/hub, bent wishbones, damaged trackrod ends or even steering rack are possible candidates. But most should be obvious before actually stripping.An MOT would check for them so I don't know why your garage would be signalling that there may be lots more to fix once they start work. That, plus the high quoted price, makes me think run away, go somewhere else.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Hello Alfa owners,

We’re new to the Alfa World and last week I hit a pot hole which went with a bang. The rim was dented and this has been replaced along with 2 new tyres.

The steering wheel vibrates ferociously at speeds above 60 mph, more so on load in higher gears. At this point if the clutch is pressed the vibration disappears. So going steady or downhill at 60+ the vibration disappears.
The vibration seems to be coming from the right hand (driver side).
We took the car to a garage and they found a lot of play in the driver’s side drive shaft. Also the CV boot had been previously cable tied, with grease spilling out.

Simply put we have a quote for £450 for a drive shaft, and £475 labour.

If we knew this would cure the problem it wouldn’t seem so bad. But the garage admits this is only a starting point to remedy the cure.
Has anybody else had similar problems with the 147 JTD, can you possibly help, hopefully point us to another solution please? Can anyone recommend a UK drive shaft supplier please? (New or recon)

If the vibration is left for a while we remedy it (say 4 weeks) is it likely to do further damage to the car?

Is it possible the pot hole could have damaged the drive shaft?

Many thanks

Craig
give gus a call at alfatune ..he will save you 1/4 of that price:wow:

by the way its a two hour job max so dont know how much an hour that garage charges but keep away from them:thumbs:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all. I'm going to go down the driveshaft route. Another mechanic suggested the dual mass flywheel until I mentioned your comments and the fact the vibration gets worse going round a left hand bend. He did admit it's only an hour or two to complete the driveshaft though, so thanks everyone.

I would try just the CV but the play in shaft tells me it's possibly more than just that.

Does anyone know if there's a place where I can buy a spurious driveshaft complete?

Cheers

Craig

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Thank you all. I'm going to go down the driveshaft route. Another mechanic suggested the dual mass flywheel until I mentioned your comments and the fact the vibration gets worse going round a left hand bend. He did admit it's only an hour or two to complete the driveshaft though, so thanks everyone.

I would try just the CV but the play in shaft tells me it's possibly more than just that.

Does anyone know if there's a place where I can buy a spurious driveshaft complete?

Cheers

Craig
you will find the inner spider and cup are worn thus the movement making you think its more :thumbs:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Dave,

How would I know if the driveshaft isn't goosed but the CV, spider and cup is? (ie how would I know if the driveshaft is healthy?)

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Thanks Dave,

How would I know if the driveshaft isn't goosed but the CV, spider and cup is? (ie how would I know if the driveshaft is healthy?)
by feel and looking ...look to see where play is ..grab the inner with your hang and push it about and turning it ..there should be no play and do same with outer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is play axially but not radially just from under the ramp and without dismateling. Could the shaft bend?

So am I right in thinking the drive shaft consists of an inner and outer shaft; and together they make a CV joint? Or is there an inner and out CV joint, also with an inner and outer shaft?

The boot looks damaged too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts