Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found it today... Maserati Granturismo, followed one in traffic... God the noise!
Anyone want to donate into my JK charity fund for purchase and garage widening?

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Im with the GT on this one! I adore that car! But id only enjoy it as much as the 166 I think!

The noise tho!!!! What a noise :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Johnnie behave!

There is no viable 166 replacement (except another 166).

I drove Shaun's Citroen C6 the other day. I was tempted, but it doesn't make the right noise. Also, where's the fun in driving a car that you know will complete the journey?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Its a shame that there is such a long delay on the 169. There was talk of a Quattroporte Junior though (5 series/E class rival/A6) Which I imagine would suit? Anyone have news on that?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sad to say I've got quite obsessed with the GT and have to say its mostly about the noise (a17sh) i'm in total agreement.. A 360 is just shrieking but the GT has such a lovely range... Its quite magnificent!
Of course its dreaming fantasy in the dreary winter evening lol
Yes Nigel of course i'm teasing, and a C6 is very nice but it ain't got an italian soul, and in the dreary world of marks and spencer's tutonic motors, that counts :) And 166's aren't that unreliable or not more so than an equivalent from the same era.
Back to turismo dreams :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
..QP IV was my next car except for this recession thing. QP V is lovely but a little big.. QP IV is perfect.
Always struck me as more of a fast 164 rather than a 166 replacement though.. not that that's a bad thing :) That said i've never even sat in one...

by the way i think you englanders are mad.. why the hell aren't you all swishing around in stuff like that..? ;)

·
Registered
754 Posts
I've looked at acquiring both of these before and I owned a Biturbo for a good few years. The QPIV V8 gives you all the expense of the more modern V8 (electronics, diagnostics) and all the downsides of the Biturbo platform. I would go for the V6 but either way you'd need to treat it as a classic rather than a modern car. It's at the cusp of modernity but the wrong side of it, IMO. All things being equal, there will be more wrong with it and more to get fixed than a 166.

The Ghibli is little more than an restyled Biturbo. I did love my carbed Biturbo but it had its limitations, predominantly in the chassis. The Ghibli Cup was tuned up and chassis tweaked and is a very good car.

I think with either model, you're going back in time vs a 166 and quite possibly (depending on the variant) backwards in handling.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I love the idea of a Ghibli, and i almost bought back my parents 92 Maser 430SE (last of the line biturbo four doors - in black and with its original side skirts etc.. it didn't look too bad, v mafioso...) but they are a nightmare that was best kept in the past...
In comparison the with the a late 90's maserati the 166 has the best build quality known to man and the electronic sophistication of the most amazing super computer ever produced and is made of never ever going to rust titainuium bodywork..
A friend has a 4200 Maser (very angry sounding car, with an interior trim combo put together by someone who was either blind or had taken LSD whilst using the 'maserati car configurator' (green, cream and orange? AKA Vomit)) and the trim on that is falling apart a bit..
Honestly, i think only the post 2003 QPs and now the GTurismo is a viable... and they a pretty pricey..
So i shut my mouth and live in wonder at what an amazing 166 i have ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I love the idea of a Ghibli, and i almost bought back my parents 92 Maser 430SE (last of the line biturbo four doors - in black and with its original side skirts etc.. it didn't look too bad, v mafioso...) but they are a nightmare that was best kept in the past...
In comparison the with the a late 90's maserati the 166 has the best build quality known to man and the electronic sophistication of the most amazing super computer ever produced and is made of never ever going to rust titainuium bodywork..
A friend has a 4200 Maser (very angry sounding car, with an interior trim combo put together by someone who was either blind or had taken LSD whilst using the 'maserati car configurator' (green, cream and orange? AKA Vomit)) and the trim on that is falling apart a bit..
Honestly, i think only the post 2003 QPs and now the GTurismo is a viable... and they a pretty pricey..
So i shut my mouth and live in wonder at what an amazing 166 i have ;)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think with either model, you're going back in time vs a 166 and quite possibly (depending on the variant) backwards in handling.
Before I bought my 166, which was in 2002 IIRC, I seriously considered a Ghibli and test drove a couple. But even then they felt old-school and crude compared to the 166. What really sealed the deal for me was one of them was the auto, a crude old-fashioned three-speed, and the gear-lever gate was trimmed with a nylon brush which looked like it came from a pound shop.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts