Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Im very keen on a 147 5dr 1.6 lusso. Can any one tell me what return per gallon are you getting around town approx. Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Oil or petrol ?

Oil about 1/2 Litre to a tank is not unheard of.

And about ~350 miles per tank of fuel.

PS (the oil consumption is within spec !)

IMHO: Buy a diesel. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have just bought exactly the same car.

I reset the trip computer when I got it and looked the other day to be horrified at an average of 28.5 MPG. To be honest though I am not sure how accurate the computers are it isn't too bad, and the few times I have driven it on a motorway it seems to be pretty good (you're looking at 35-40ish MPG then).

If I had the money though I would definitely go for the 140 brake diesel!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx, is it that bad. i realise theres a few things to worry about....but are they really that bad?!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Low 30s round town (once it's warmed up) / High 30s on a motorway cruise. But I've got quite a light right foot! :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've averaged 35.8 over the 1200 miles since I've owned the car. That's mixed driving.... a few long motorway runs, bit of slow commuting and some country road blasts with my foot glued to the floor. If I stick around 70 on the motorway it'll do mid to low 40s.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
I had a 159 giving 17mpg around town - and that was a 1.9jts! I've now got a 1.6 Lusso 5dr and it averages 28-29mpg on a 4.5 mile journey from cold through traffic that takes about 20 minutes. I think thats quite good. My wifes 147 is about 30 mpg similar distance, same time of day driving out of town. Both on the motorway do about 37 - 39 at about 75mph, 43 - 46 if you drop it by 10mph. My 159 only ever managed 27mpg max. Oh and thats using the aircon all the time - you can get about 3mpg more if you don't.

I had a 147 1.9jtd for a week - without trying it was doing about 39 - 43 at 75mph and 31 on my 4.5 mile journey to work. Upshot was that I decided it wasn't worth the extra outlay to save money on fuel. Yes it's more torquey and accelerates faster than the petrol but I personally prefer the aural experience of a revvy petrol....which is what the 1.6 is.

I've had a 2.0TS and thats nice too, not quite as economical - but the belt change is more!

T

·
0 Posts
I had a lovely 1.6 Lusso for four years and consistently got 28-29MPG giving it lots of giris at all times. I agree with andypj that the 1.6 sounds great and has a decent turn of speed at 4500+ RPM. Low-down torque is puny so you have to rev it hard, and the engine is designed for this (at the cost of regular oil topups).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanx for that Andypj......Im real keen and have my eye on a 1.6 Lusso 5dr 147 2003 plate with leather upholstery, 44000, FHS at £3790. The seller will have a full timing belt kit fitted,MOT and full service. Wont budge on the price but it seems ok to me. What do you think? You sound really positive about the 147. Have you had any major problems/worries?

T

·
0 Posts
Thanx for that Andypj......Im real keen and have my eye on a 1.6 Lusso 5dr 147 2003 plate with leather upholstery, 44000, FHS at £3790. The seller will have a full timing belt kit fitted,MOT and full service. Wont budge on the price but it seems ok to me. What do you think? You sound really positive about the 147. Have you had any major problems/worries?
Cambelt change, service and MOT is worth about £600. That makes £3790 a great price, not surprised he won't go lower. My 52 reg with 55K sold in a week with a sticker price of £4000 (I PXed it for £2500 - it needed a service, MOT and suspension bushes, otherwise pukka).

Alfa 147s generally don't break down much, but do suffer from a lot of minor problems... http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/127091-what-are-your-147-niggles.html

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi

My 147 1.6TS is showing 35 mpg on my trips to work 10 miles urben mixed with 6 miles motorway, very pleased all in all worked out from a full tank that the computer is just about right thought falling on the optimistic side marginally.... better than my mates 2.0 audi A3 which is drinking it on a similar run 22mpg average...mine looks better too lol

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
I'd agree it sounds alright. Its really difficult to give advice because I haven't seen the car and buying a used car is all about how genuine it is and you can only do that by being there looking, checking, trying, investigating. Sometimes that's hard when its something you really want.

I've had 7 Alfas, 3 with the 1.6 litre engine, and 3 147s. I haven't had any engine problems with any of them. Yes, most of them have been new or nearly new, but none of them have ever left me stranded.

Find out as much as you can about the car before committing yourself.

If the car is at a garage it might be worth talking to the previous owner(s) if you can. Check the V5 over carefully.

If you are buying from a garage make sure it has a warranty with it. Alfas can be expensive to fix although routine items won't break the bank. If you're not entirely sure then take someone you trust or get an RAC/AA check on it.

Finally try going out in another 147, maybe a new/nearly new 147 from a dealer and see how that compares. It should sound and feel (almost) the same. At least then you've got something to compare it with. Our 147s have an age difference of 3 years and its not easy to tell them apart.

I hope it turns out right for you, if it doesn't there are others out there! Good luck!:thumbs:

·
Registered
11 Posts
We had a 147 1.6 ts lusso, it had a reasonable mix of driving and always averaged a 30mpg rating. We just took delivery today of a 147collezione 120bhp diesel, much better performance and no doubt a better mpg!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
According to the computer i get an average of 28.2 but its worth every penny when i hear that glorious roar of the engine :p ( You may find your foot becomes a bit heavy O_O) and as turin said their really little torque at low revs,i dont know about anyone else but i have to rev it high to pull off or else it will almost stall.

if your after good mileage car for everyday use then the 147 isnt the most practical car,but its a dam good car so buy it anyway :p

Each car is different you may get a good mpg or a bad one but try not to think about the fuel consumption too much and just enjoy the ride.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts